Oolite test release 1.73.3

News and discussion of the PC port of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Oolite test release 1.73.3

Post by another_commander »

Oolite test release 1.73.3 for Windows plus the installer update from 1.73.2 are now available from GURPO. This is a bug-fix update to 1.73.2.

Changes since Oolite 1.73.2:
  • Fixed failure on startup when two OXPs define the same equipment.
  • Partial fix for bug where the system data screen showed a planet in systems that had gone nova.
  • Fixed AI habit of trying to steal cargo right out of other ships' scoops, with hilarious results.
[Edit:] Important information regarding the installer, please read this.
Last edited by another_commander on Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wolfwood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wolfwood »

The installer doesn't seem to work on my WinXP - complains that the download is corrupt even though I've retried downloading it for 4 times now.
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

I tried just now and downloaded and installed without problems. You can try the following:

1) Download from the alternative server, if you have not tried it already.
2) Download the md5 file for Oolite-1.73.3-test.exe from Berlios and run a check on the file you downloaded to check its integrity. If your md5 checks out OK and the install fails, then something is very wrong and will need further investigation.
3) Clear the browser cache and try redownloading.

Hope one of these solves it for you.
Micha
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Micha »

Just tried and also worked fine for me.
Windows Vista 32-bit.
The glass is twice as big as it needs to be.
Wolfwood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wolfwood »

Drats, the problem seems to be with the previous install. The uninstaller didn't work and produced the error. This, in turn, stopped me from installing the new version... :/

All solved now, after a manual uninstall! Thanks for the help that directed me to look for problems in my own set-up! :)
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

IMPORTANT

A serious mistake has been discovered in the install script for the Windows port, in all versions after and including 1.73. When the installer detects a previous version of Oolite and offers to remove it please do not accept automatic removal. The bug in the script results in the uninstallation of the Start Menu shortcuts only. This could lead to errors during installation of the new version or unpredictable game behaviour.

Please use the Oolite Uninstall option from the Start Menu shortcuts instead to uninstall the previous version, then install normally the new one.

This is now fixed for the future, but just as it affected Wolfwood, it can affect other users, too. Apologies for any inconvenience caused.
onephatsmegger
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Post by onephatsmegger »

Sorry guys, I'm a little green. I've got 1.73.2 and it installed just fine. I'd like to download and install 1.73.3. as I always do with the test releases. Can somebody explain to me in laymans terms if it's necessary for me to download the md5 file after uninstalling the previous version, and if so, what to look for? Sorry to bring newbie questions but even though I'm an old hand at Elite, I'm clueless when it comes to the technicalities. Cheers :D
Be careful, man. There's a beverage here!
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

To upgrade to the next version:

1. Download Oolite-1.73.3-test.exe from Berlios. You do not need the md5 file, unless you have problems with the install and want to be sure that the file you downloaded is exactly the same as the file that is currently on Berlios.

2. Uninstall Oolite v1.73.2 by selecting Start -> Programs -> Oolite -> Oolute Uninstall.

3. Run the Oolite-1.73.3-test.exe. Install as always.
onephatsmegger
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Post by onephatsmegger »

Done, done and done. Everything works fine :)

Thanks very much!
Be careful, man. There's a beverage here!
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

another_commander wrote:
IMPORTANT

A serious mistake has been discovered in the install script for the Windows port, in all versions after and including 1.73. When the installer detects a previous version of Oolite and offers to remove it please do not accept automatic removal. The bug in the script results in the uninstallation of the Start Menu shortcuts only. This could lead to errors during installation of the new version or unpredictable game behaviour.
Am I correct in assuming the current 1.73.3 installer at BerliOS also contains this bug? Or has a fixed installer been uploaded?
Last edited by Diziet Sma on Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Killer Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Killer Wolf »

i got it last night and it seems fine. least, i fired it up, launched and had a bit mess about outside the space station, if there's anything deeper into the game than that, i wouldn't know.
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Diziet Sma wrote:
Am I correct in assuming the current 1.73.3 installer at BerliOS also contains this bug? Or has a fixed installer been uploaded?
You are correct. It is still to be determined whether a new installer will be uploaded as a Windows-only update or it will be part of the fixes of a possible 1.73.4.

Killer Wolf: Installing is fine and should be issue-free. It is auto-uninstalling the previous release that fails and has potential to cause problems when you install the new version.