Screenshots

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Cmdr Wyvern wrote:
@Tivva,
Want to see what it's really capable of? Have Thargoid Threat installed, misjump, and use it to hammer the snot out of those Bugs.
Thargoids don't know fear, but by the time you're done with them, they'll know what respect means. :twisted:
I do find it slightly worrying that I hear these stories of these uber-ships being so powerful that they can deliberately mis-jump knowing that a swarm of bugs holds no fear of them. Shouldn't a mis-jump fill you with dread? I remember when it used to happen on the C64, my heart would miss a beat, and my nose would be pressed to the screen while I did some serious joystick waggling not expecting to survive at all.
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

:) I was the same! Didn't it used to draw the witchspace tunnel twice as well? As soon as i saw that i started hammering the local galactic chart key trying to find an escape route!
Which oxp is it that adds in navy ships to help you out in witchspace? I've just started playing oolite again with v1.73 having come out, i've just saved up enough for some basic combat kit and i thought i'd pop out and blast some thargoids but there always seem to be 4 motherships waiting for me, i need some help!
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

We interrupt our program for a news broadcast. Here is a splash screen version of the screenshot posted earlier. If you are on Windows, you can convert this to bmp format with MS Paint or other image processing software, save it inside oolite.app/Resources/Images as Splash.bmp and the game will be displaying this on startup.

[Edit]: Updated instructions with the convert to bmp format step and uploaded an image with better color palette on the logo.

Thanks for being with us, now back to our program
Last edited by another_commander on Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:51 am, edited 4 times in total.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Nice one a_c.. 8)

Only problem is, the image is in png format, and the link is just to the xs.to homepage. Even though Oolite has the splash image in bmp and png formats, with just the png version, oolite (Windows) froze when starting.. I converted the png to bmp with Irfanview, and now all is fine..
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

Good catch Diziet. I actually uploaded it to xs.to as bmp but it has apparently been auto-converted to png. So, yes, the image needs to be in BMP format for the splash to function.
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

I've put a BMP version on my box.net space here if that's easier for people.

As for the other discussions, at a certain point with uber player ships, the phrase "what's the point in playing any more, it's all too easy?" comes to mind...

Editted to add - box.net version updated to mirror A_C's improvements to the original.
Last edited by Thargoid on Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

Thargoid wrote:
As for the other discussions, at a certain point with uber player ships, the phrase "what's the point in playing any more, it's all too easy?" comes to mind...
Well, if it's OSE, the answer could be "because there are also uber NPCs and it's not easy at all" :twisted:

The only thing that still has to happen on the uber front before OSE goes V1.0 are uber thargoids. Know anyone who would lend me a hand with that? :wink:

Cheers

L
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Thargoid wrote:
Which is what I've been thinking all along.

But there's no point in complaining, as it won't impress our übership-creators and distributers, and certainly won't prevent them from turning my favourite game into something barely recognizable as Elite/Oolite. :? (Please note that I'm using the first person in singular, because I don't want to patronize anybody here.)

Anyway, I will continue to contribute to Oolite, a game which is essentially a re-creation of Elite, and not to crazy conversions of it.

Right now I am contemplating the possibility to script a mission which forces the player to use an ordinary Adder, or perhaps Cobbie 1, in order to complete it. :roll:
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Well said, Commander McLane.

As to your possible mission...great idea. Something undercover, maybe, so an old standard ship is needed.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

another_commander wrote:
Good catch Diziet. I actually uploaded it to xs.to as bmp but it has apparently been auto-converted to png. So, yes, the image needs to be in BMP format for the splash to function.
For the record: splash.bmp is used in windows and linux, while splash.png is used for macs. Changing both will change the splash screen on all platforms! :)
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
Cody

Post by Cody »

That makes a nice splash screen, A_C.
Ta.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Sendraks
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Sendraks »

Commander McLane wrote:
Right now I am contemplating the possibility to script a mission which forces the player to use an ordinary Adder, or perhaps Cobbie 1, in order to complete it. :roll:
That sounds like a rather neat idea.

The problem with "uber ships" is really that they are only "uber ships" if the rest of the games content cannot compete with them, something I think OSE will avoid.

However, what OSE does is really try to balance out the Oolite "arms race" where the industry standard (as it were) shifts from being the Cobra MKIII to more potent vessel. The downside of this (although this depends greatly on your point of view) is that the core Oolite (original Elite) content, gets watered down.

But as long as the core of Oolite holds true to the original Elite, incorporating features I always wanted to see Elite, and you can customise the game with OXPs that keep the original elite flavour, I don't have any problems. I'm not beyond installing some of the more potent ships from add-ons myself, but I always tend to water the stats down in some way so the ships retain their flavour but without being overpowering to everything else.
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

It wasn't actually OSE I was thinking of, but it does come into it. It's better than some as it does provide some balanced opposition too, but I was thinking of other scenarios, such as:

* Player in uber-ship (from whatever OXP) vs generic Oolite ships, or ships from other OXPs that aren't designed for that kind of firepower - easy game and thrill of skilled combat lost. Examples such as the aforementioned witchspace duels, or things like Random Hits or Assassins plus many others.

* Player in regular ship stumbles across OSE uber-enemy, and promptly gets nuked. Turns them off the game, unless great care is taken to either give the enemy some sort of Achilles heel, or at least be slow enough to run away from.

I know all the arguments about if you don't want it don't install it etc, but we seem to be getting into an escalating uber-race lately to see who can make the ship with the most turrets/daftest stats/other advantages. Or shall I just be done with it and write that black hole missile?
Last edited by Thargoid on Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

Griff wrote:
:) I was the same! Didn't it used to draw the witchspace tunnel twice as well? As soon as i saw that i started hammering the local galactic chart key trying to find an escape route!
Which oxp is it that adds in navy ships to help you out in witchspace? I've just started playing oolite again with v1.73 having come out, i've just saved up enough for some basic combat kit and i thought i'd pop out and blast some thargoids but there always seem to be 4 motherships waiting for me, i need some help!
I think it's the Behemoth OXP.
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

It's actually Behemoth Spacewar, although that does have both Behemoth and Thargorn Threat OXPs as dependencies.