1.74 / SVN latest - version not bumped?

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

zevans
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm

1.74 / SVN latest - version not bumped?

Post by zevans »

Minor I know but could start catching us out with OXPs...

The splash screen (Linux) still says 1.73 and all the OXPs still load... didn't notice it when I was testing it, but they should all have failed on required.plist eh? So is 1.74 still marked as 1.73 and is this intentional?

I definitely installed the package correctly because the build date was right in the title bar.
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Won't the next imminent version actually be 1.73.1, given the upcoming required fix for the laser purchase bug and maybe one or two others?

Or is SVN and the bugfix for that going to be separate code?
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

The trunk will follow its separate path and should be already marked as 1.74 with r2345 (actually it was marked before, but one file had missed its marking and that file is the one that is used for letting the game know which version it should display on the SDL builds).

1.73.1 will contain all the bug fixes that go in trunk and none of the new features. Thargoid is correct that this will be the next imminent version. We will just give it a little bit of time in case other bugs pop up, then we'll roll it. And before anyone asks, the 1.73.1 has not had its version bumped on the repository yet. I'll try to do that later tonight.
Last edited by another_commander on Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cmdr James
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Cmdr James »

There should be 2 branches: trunk which will become the next version (1.74 probably), and 1.73.x which will not contain new functionality but only fixes.
zevans
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm

Post by zevans »

Just realised my post didn't make it clear that I built an SVN clone yesterday, so I was expecting the version to show up as 1.74 and the OXPs to complain. Since I pulled 2344, that would be why it doesn't show up as 1.74!

So does this mean that 1.73.x becomes the MNSR once the bugs are squished? 8)

Whilst I'm here - I managed to dock with a behemoth last night so the new AI messages are working nicely!

Doesn't seem to be anywhere in-game that the revision shows up under Linux... although surely that's an SDL build?
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

zevans wrote:
Just realised my post didn't make it clear that I built an SVN clone yesterday, so I was expecting the version to show up as 1.74 and the OXPs to complain. Since I pulled 2344, that would be why it doesn't show up as 1.74!

I also noticed the version numbers of the internally missions were already raised but debug.OXP did not complain yet.
Whilst I'm here - I managed to dock with a behemoth last night so the new AI messages are working nicely!
It should work for most carriers. But unlike the docking computer this one doen not send a performStop to the ship. The AI alone must react on it. That means when an carrier is attacking it won't react on those messages. There the discrepancy between docking allowance and not stopping still exist.

And as we will have a 1.73.1 this should probably go in there as for me it counts as a bugfix and not a new feature
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

zevans wrote:
Well, anything since 1.67 "is becoming" the MNSR, if you want, meaning that we're on our way towards it.

And I am by no means in a position to speak for the developers, so you may take my answer for a preliminary one, but Ahruman has somewhere expressed his hope that 1.75 may be the next stable release. (However, a while back he already expressed his hope that maybe 1.70 or 1.72 could be the next stable release. So it may be advisable to embrace all hopes on 1.75 with the same karmic balance that serves us so well since 1.65. :wink: )
Cmdr James
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Cmdr James »

Another point, trunk is a dev working stream, regarding it as 1.74 or anything else is really misleading. I would not particularly expect trunk to make any meaningful assertions of its version, it could just as well become 2.0

I think its more helpful to think of trunk as where the devs do stuff, and that versions will be generated from it once it makes sense to do so.

On a related note, trunk is now very close to the same as 1.73, but 1.73 is acknowledged as a stable point. So it is much better for people to play 1.73 than trunk even if you want the latest features. This will change, but for the next month or so, I see little reason for anyone except dev to look at trunk (but, you know, feel free, its not like there is anything secret, just I dont see the point).