Collector's edition cobra?

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

wackyman465
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Collector's edition cobra?

Post by wackyman465 »

So I started a new game, and after my 2nd jump, back to lave, doing some exceptionally risky firearms trading, decided to price a different ship; like a python class cruiser or somesuch. Much to my surprise, when I pressed 3 twice, my cobra 3 - standard issue, no eq added on - was worth over 922 billion credits. Now, I might look stupid, but if I recall correctly, that's more than was paid to build the Taranis HQ at lerelace and certainly more than I paid for an imperial courier in another savegame.
Any help here? I'm running 1.73 and RS if that helps.
I shot him back first. That is to say, I read his mind and fired before he would have fired on me. No, sir, he wasn't a fugitive.
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Please e-mail me your saved game (see sig).
wackyman465
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by wackyman465 »

Fixed itself. I bought an extended cargo bay and next time I checked my cobra was worth 100k only.
I shot him back first. That is to say, I read his mind and fired before he would have fired on me. No, sir, he wasn't a fugitive.
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

wackyman465 wrote:
.... was worth over 922 billion credits..... Fixed itself. I bought an extended cargo bay and next time I checked my cobra was worth 100k only.
Sounds as a very expensive cargo bay. :wink:

But what would still be interesting is if this high value was real in calculations (you could buy a very big ship) or that only the display was wrong.
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

I have a save file like that.

Don't know how the megasum happened, but it was not hacked into the save game file and the game sometimes crashes if I attempt to buy something very expensive with this test Commander.

Download from here:

http://www.box.net/shared/static/htxt15o1fb.oolite-save

Hope it helps

L
wackyman465
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by wackyman465 »

Eric Walch wrote:
(you could buy a very big ship)
Skip a "very big ship", I could buy everything that exists in all the eight galaxies!
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

OK, the value in Lestradae’s game is 1844674407370954330.8 credits, which (due to details of how numbers are represented) is the same as -819.2 credits. Clearly something’s subtracting more money than actually exists. It would be nice to know when it’s happening (everyone keep their eyes peeled, please), but it’s at least a lot less mysterious than “over 922 billion credits”. :-)

(But now that I look at it, if you meant “over 922 quadrillion credits”, that would be slightly less mysterious. Still odd, though.)
wackyman465
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by wackyman465 »

I got a screenie here of the hugely expensive cobra:

Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

wackyman465 wrote:
I got a screenie here of the hugely expensive cobra:
That is interesting. It means the bug is not in adding credits but in calculating the ships value.
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Mathematically, it seems clear what’s happening: some intermediate value in the trade-in price calculation is negative, and is divided by two. It would still be helpful to have that saved game…
Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

I could replicate that bug by creating an specially crippled oxp, because that could have happened here.

I created an oxp with a copy of the cobras shipyard definition. But than I created an error in the price definition. (e.g. I spelled it as prise). Now it can't find a value and defaults to zero. In shipyard trade-in value is now zero.

Than I launched, targeted the buoy, shot two missiles at it and immediately returned before the cops could kill me.

Now it adds up my current missile value and subtracts the value of a standard cobra. But because I have less than standard it becomes negative. Normally no problem as it than is masked by the much larger ships base value. But with ship value zero the total value becomes negative.
Easiest fix is probably to check that the return value is always positive.
wackyman465
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by wackyman465 »

@ahruman: I'm pretty sure I sent you that savegame. Look in your inbox for stuff from [email protected]...
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Oh look, there it is. Sorry, got it confused with another one.