Having a beer or two with an X-wing pilot

Off topic discussion zone.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Cody

DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Having a beer or two with an X-wing pilot

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Before I start I will admit in advance that this is a shameless plug, but nevertheless...

The young guy in the centre of the picture (above (and to the right as you look at it) the shoulder of the guy in the front row dressed in brown) is John Chapman. As you can see he has done something that many of us can only dream about - he's been an X-wing pilot. 8)

Anyway, it turns out that he lives near me, is a writer, has an interest in science and how science-faction can be used to encourage/promote science in education (In my old job I also used to be a "Science Ambassador" and have taught 7-15yr olds in this very area), to this end, he has gone one stage further than me and has self published a book pitched at 7yr olds with a second title due soon aimed at 12 yr olds. I'm going to help him with this aspect of the project...

Anyway, as many of us are "of an age" where our kids are now the same age we were when Star Wars came out I thought I'd take this opportunity to plug his work and see what you think. [and of course get to show off that I do, on occasion, have a beer or two with an X-wing pilot :wink: ]

His young hero can be found here: http://www.jonnierocket.com

Note: for those with an interest in comics the artwork has been done by a 2000AD/Dark Horse/Marvel/DC artist - "The Comic Stripper"

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Adventures-Jonn ... 992&sr=1-1
http://www.comicstripper.co.uk/Site/HOME/HOME.html
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
wackyman465
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Having a beer or two with an X-wing pilot

Post by wackyman465 »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
Before I start I will admit in advance that this is a shameless plug, but nevertheless...
I think for it to be a true shameless plug it has to be for your own work, like Wyvern's suggestions of the dragon as the "supreme choice ship".
I shot him back first. That is to say, I read his mind and fired before he would have fired on me. No, sir, he wasn't a fugitive.
zevans
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm

Re: Having a beer or two with an X-wing pilot

Post by zevans »

Could he bull's-eye womp rats in his T-16? ;-)
CptnEcho
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CptnEcho »

Sure he could. Unless "...They came from behind!" *

*(Gold Leader's last words in Star Wars, A New Hope.)
"I shouldn't have taken off in this crate without more ammo..." Sergeant Knox - Star Blazers
zevans
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm

Post by zevans »

Now I always remember the scene in Blue Harvest rather than the scene in Star Wars !
wackyman465
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by wackyman465 »

I always think of the gyrocopter death quote from wc3...
I shot him back first. That is to say, I read his mind and fired before he would have fired on me. No, sir, he wasn't a fugitive.
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

DH, you truly are a man with many many interesting things about you. I bow to you. That's an impressive claim to fame (especially to a die-hard SW fan like me).

The only similar thing I can say, in comparison, is that I occasionally go to the same Doctor Who fan club as one of the extras in Doctor Who...

To see which one, watch New Earth (the first David Tenant one) and the patient who is in the lead of the group that touches the Doctor with his cure is the one I know. Can't say I've had a beer with him though...

:-)
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

I used to work with one of the Dalek Operators (his acting carrer wasn't entirely sucessful and he became a barrister). Another member of chambers once called the actor who played 'The Claw of Axos' as a Character witness. The Voice of K9 also sits as a Magistrate at Ealing Magistrates Court, so I was once able to say 'Affermative' in answer to his question as to whether I was applying for bail.
Last edited by LittleBear on Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

LittleBear wrote:
The Voice of K9 also sits as a Magistrate at Earling Magistrates Court, so I am was able to say 'Affermative' in answer to his question as to whether I was applying for bail.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

@Selezen - watch this space - I'm writing a Red 12 Drifter story (at some point in the near future) - and if you're ever in the Newbury area - give me a nudge I'm sure we can find somewhere to have a drink (but the droids will have to stay outside)
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
wackyman465
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by wackyman465 »

Uh oh meeting creepy people on the internets... :twisted: :wink:
CptnEcho
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CptnEcho »

wackyman465 wrote:
Uh oh meeting creepy people on the internets... :twisted: :wink:
Don't knock it if you haven't tried it.

I've met several people via the internet and later on 'in real life'. I'm happy to say the experiences have been mostly positive.
"I shouldn't have taken off in this crate without more ammo..." Sergeant Knox - Star Blazers
wackyman465
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by wackyman465 »

Maybe this is an american thing, but most of the time they dont reccomend for folks my age to meet folks we meet on the internets...
And "mostly positive"... It only takes one to murder you or such and so on... :D
CptnEcho
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CptnEcho »

wackyman465 wrote:
Maybe this is an american thing, but most of the time they dont reccomend for folks my age to meet folks we meet on the internets...
And "mostly positive"... It only takes one to murder you or such and so on... :D
Hmm... my profile doesn't mention I live in the U.S.A.?

There's nothing wrong with being cautious or taking precautions or following safety rules when meeting people. Often we'll be passing or perhaps speaking with strangers during our daily travels. We don't usually flip our wigs about it.

I've chatted with people on-line and later met them in person. Before meeting my current girlfriend, I dated a number of women I met via an on-line dating service I was a member of for about a year.
My experiences have been positive and enjoyable over 90% of the time.

Are there people we'd rather not meet under any circumstances? Yes, of course there are.

I propose that we don't allow fear to ruin our enjoyment of life. 8)
wackyman465
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by wackyman465 »

Obviously you missed the point of my original post; I was poking fun at the people who discourage that.
Also I don't read everyone's profile, ya know...
Cmdr Wyvern
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Cmdr Wyvern »

A healthy dose of caution is a good thing.
Too much caution bordering on tinfoil hat paranoia, not so much.

Sure, there's plenty of nutcases floating about the internet, but fortunately not everyone is a Jeffery Daumer clone or some such. I think the loonies would be easy to spot in a blog post or two; it never takes them long to start up a ranting rage over nothing.
Running Oolite buttery smooth & rock stable w/ tons of eyecandy oxps on:
ASUS Prime X370-A
Ryzen 5 1500X
16GB DDR4 3200MHZ
128GB NVMe M.2 SSD (Boot drive)
1TB Hybrid HDD (For software and games)
EVGA GTX-1070 SC
1080P Samsung large screen monitor