goran
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by goran »

May I have one of these, prrrrreaty please :D

LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

Is that the Lightning? I have can just about remember making an airfix of it when I was about 5. I could have sworn it was an RAF plane rather than USAF. It is entitley possible I put the wrong transfers on it though. :wink:
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
JohnnyBoy
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JohnnyBoy »

DH, I was in Bognor Regis on Saturday when a B-17 flew over. It was green with the single white-star-in-a-blue circle on the underside of one wing. I think that would be USAAF colours rather than USAF colours.

Then on Sunday, I was walking in Eartham Woods when an Avro Vulcan flew over.

I can't remember whether it was Saturday or Sunday, but 4 Spitfires or Hurricanes flew over my village (I couldn't identify them for certain because they were almost out of sight when I spotted them)

P.S. That P-51 is one fabulous looking plane. I think that it was a better match for the RR Merlin than the Spitfire. I don't really think that the Spitfire showed its true potential until a Gryphon engine and a 5-bladed prop were bolted to the front.
"That's no vicious Treeoid. That's my wife."
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

That's the P51D version.

Brief spec: Packard built V12 Merlin which produced nearly 1,700 hp. This machine could do about 440 mph in level flight, carried six heavy machine guns in the laminer-flow wing and could be fitted with rockets or 2,000lbs of ordnance for ground attack missions.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
wackyman465
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by wackyman465 »

Yall are real lucky... the only thing that flies near my house are army transport choppers...
I shot him back first. That is to say, I read his mind and fired before he would have fired on me. No, sir, he wasn't a fugitive.
Cody

Post by Cody »

LittleBear

The RAF flew the P 38 Lightning, probably in Burma, so your kit was correct.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

wackyman465 wrote:
Yall are real lucky... the only thing that flies near my house are army transport choppers...
I live near the old Greenham Common Airforce Base - (where those damn yanks kept their nukes :wink: ) - we get lots of Chinooks and until people complained (!!!!) Apaches used to do touch-and-go training there.

And I've changed my mind I don't want a Spitfire - I want a Mosquito (two spitfires strung between bits of wood! ) :lol:

Anyway, I'm glad I started this thread - another little facet of the users of Oolite's inner psyche revealed...
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
wackyman465
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by wackyman465 »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
I live near the old Greenham Common Airforce Base - (where those damn yanks kept their nukes :wink: )
...... .......

Ya know, nothing stops us from detonating those nukes on the ground...
And we also have airlift helicopters lifting HVAC systems onto nearby roofs. That's loud.
I shot him back first. That is to say, I read his mind and fired before he would have fired on me. No, sir, he wasn't a fugitive.
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

I grew up near Leuchars airbase – I remember seeing the decidedly Cobra-esque Vulcan bombers rumbling past.

There was something of a flap back in the 1970s when a fireball – which later rumour had it was a piece of a Soviet satellite – came down in our neck of the woods. Well, it burned up before it hit: me and my friends were playing football and saw it shoot across the sky. No-one believed me (well, my parents and big sister didn't) until the police came round the village asking if anyone had "seen anything unusual in the sky". Somewhere inside NATO's archive there's my and a bunch of other 10-year-olds' garbled reports of what we saw ...
CptnEcho
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CptnEcho »

I enjoy flying many of the WWII airframes via flight simulator games.
A good modeling program will also include the historical quirks of various aircraft.

I'd like either a Hawker Hurricane or a Bf-109E, please.
The B-26 could be a fighing hauler, in my opinion.
"I shouldn't have taken off in this crate without more ammo..." Sergeant Knox - Star Blazers
wackyman465
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by wackyman465 »

CptnEcho wrote:

The B-26 could be a fighing hauler, in my opinion.
Perhaps like a python or boa?
CptnEcho
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CptnEcho »

Hmm... I'm not sure. The Python and the Boa (and the BCC) can all turn decently. The B-26 needs a lot of room to make a turn.

Still, you're probably on to something.
"I shouldn't have taken off in this crate without more ammo..." Sergeant Knox - Star Blazers
wackyman465
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by wackyman465 »

Well thats because a plane has to fly turns.... I'd be willing to script oxp planes if someone else made textures and models...
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
And I've changed my mind I don't want a Spitfire - I want a Mosquito (two spitfires strung between bits of wood! ) :lol:
Durn.. you beat me to it! In my teens I had a 32nd scale Airfix model of one, with what I still feel was the best paint-job I ever did. :D

There seem to be very few good colour pics of Mosquito's in flight online, but this painting is nice...
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied