i am sooo happy

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Alex
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Alex »

I think I read somewhere that killing baddies (offender or worse) helps change your legal status quicker. Though not sure how that works.

happy hunting
KZ9999
Deadly
Deadly
Location: Lost in Witchspace being hunted by a Thargoid Swam.

Post by KZ9999 »

Alex wrote:
I think I read somewhere that killing baddies (offender or worse) helps change your legal status quicker. Though not sure how that works.
happy hunting
Think of your legal status as a essentially a integer number. You start off at 0 which is clean , Every criminal act is a negative number added to it, so the bigger negative total the bigger the criminal you are. Each act of good such as killing criminals adds a positive value to the total. Do enough good acts and your total returns to 0. While in theory you could have a positive value, allowing you to commit the occasional criminal act and get away with it, it generally doesn't allow you to get away with much. A classic example is trafficking in prohibited goods and killing pirates along the way to even things out. I've explained it all in my draft of the GCW Orbital Laws which is found in my box.net space.

The updated Oolite RS and other stuff is also hanging out in my box space. The full manual is getting closer to a finish first draft, which explains all the weirdness you have encountered Ver Phonebook. Hopefully, I'll have it up for first round of review within the next 30 days.
KZ999's Oolite documents, including the new draft Oolite Game Manual, can be found at www.box.net
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Alex wrote:
Depends on your OXPs. Getting a "discount" on your legal status when killing other baddies is not a feature of plain Oolite. It is a feature of Anarchies.oxp. So if you have installed this particular OXP the feature will work. (Note: Don't expect it to be a fast way out of trouble, though. GalCop will not reward you with a partial pardon for every kill you make. The chance is roughly 1 in 6. And you will lose the bounty money for your kill instead.
another_commander wrote:
@phonebook: Here is a piece of beauty of this game: If you do not like getting your record gradually cleared when jumping, you can always install an OXP (Anarchies in this case) and this will maintain your legal status throughout jumps. You will need to plan your moves very carefully though.
Maintain your legal status: Not entirely true. What it does is to make the reduction smaller if you are a Fugitive (instead of halving the integer on every jump, it only reduces 10%). And make it unlikely (but not impossible) that you ever again break the barrier down to Offender. As long as you are Offender Oolite's internal handling of legal status isn't affected. But of course Anarchies.oxp also offers a range of alternative ways to clear your legal status, one of them being described above.
phonebook
Deadly
Deadly

Post by phonebook »

okay then back to my self made hoary old chestnut!

this business about the big brother nature of galcop, if you have a cloaking device, then galcop cant see what you kill- all well and good

but

we're back to the situation that packets of information can be sent faster than the ships can travel through witchspace

this always brings to mind the bit in the empire strikes back, boba fett cleverly follows solo chewbacca and leia to that hanging city thing- but in the same time as it takes the falcon to get there, fett has reached there, then flown back to wherever vader is, then vader has got there before our heroes

and so back to traveller- well elite does borrow very heavily from it in concept- ships tonnage, credits, even the name of the principal character, and a whole host of god knows what else- probabilties of meeting ships from the re entry point- skimming from the sun (well its gas giants in traveller), the trading aspect- and added to in oolite with passengers and set cargos- all well and good- its an excellent role playing game. but it does deal with the time lag aspect of things it is built into it from the start

you imagine the traveller universe to be a little like pre telegraphy earth- news only travels as fast as your fastest sentient being (on a vehicle if necessary)

that isnt the same for the elite universe. everyone travels at the same pace through space time, apart from these packets of information

more mulling to be done
Frame
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Frame »

phonebook wrote:

this always brings to mind the bit in the empire strikes back, boba fett cleverly follows solo chewbacca and leia to that hanging city thing- but in the same time as it takes the falcon to get there, fett has reached there, then flown back to wherever vader is, then vader has got there before our heroes
while its been a long time since I watched it wasn't the hyperdrive broken, hence the reason for going to the cloud city in the first place ?

They way I remember it they are chased through the asteroid field, then almost eaten by a space bug, after that they attach to the Imperial destroyers rear section... where they float off with trash.

After which they engage their sub light engines, find out that the hyperdrive is broken and head for bespin where the cloud city hovers..

Boba fett used his communication device telling where they where heading because it was the only thing in range, and since they had not engaged their hyperdrive he put together 2 and 2.

Then Vadars ISD used its hyperdrive to arrive before the falcon, land storm troopers and vadar, that apparently just got there "they arrived just before you did"
Bounty Scanner
Number 935
phonebook
Deadly
Deadly

Post by phonebook »

so they travel at least a couple of light years at sub light speed do they??

impossible!

the idea of hyperspace is fine, there's enough sillyology science explaining it. BUT!! sub light drives? think about now, in the real world, to get to the edge of the solar system with the fastest ship we have developed as a species would take about 10000 years . to get it down to one year, that maximum speed needs to have doubled 7 times or there abouts. to get it down to a week, 10 times- 41 million kilometers per hour one 25th of the speed of light- thats incredibly quick. and thats just to get to the edge of our solar system- not going all the way to find Lando Calrissian!

the nearest star at out present sub light speeds would take 150 000 years- to get there in a week, you would need to be travelling at 84 times the speed of light!!! quite a mean feat for a "SUB" light drive!!!!
Frame
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Frame »

It is a fair bet that Hoth and Bespin would reside in the same system.

I Do realise that fan fiction star maps and probably some official released ones have them placed apart..

However, that is all down to continuity errors as you will find plenty off in almost all movies, especially trilogies such as SW, Aliens, LOTR, and so on.

Also I did use to be a part of the Galactic Conquest Mod Team for Battlefield 1942.. I know this has been discussed to death plenty of times...
Bounty Scanner
Number 935
phonebook
Deadly
Deadly

Post by phonebook »

yes there are continuity errors in films and fiction because they have plots that need forwarding.

such stuff isnt so necessary here, but i concede that having a universe whereby ones reputation radiates out from where you gained that reputation would be a different kettle of fish altogether- and would take away enormously from the inherent simplicity of the game

probably the han chewy et al analogy isnt the greatest, but if i'm a fugitive and i go to new place, and they know already- well it does get me yelling "how the hell did you know that?!!!"

but as you say, this could be done to death- there is no answer- or maybe just maybe, galcop are in possession of a communication device, one that they found - a relic from a past age, a civilization greater than ours now, that can send the data packets in an instant- and of course they are trying to establish how it works, but in reality we are just not advanced enough.

maybe THAT puts it to bed?
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Remenants of previous technological superior race is a useful plot device - Stargate anyone, or even Battletech (where dropships and 'mech making factories cannot be constructed from scratch just maintained and some minor repairs), Robotech, the SD1 refitted using our own much lower spec' tech - enough to get it off the ground, so to speak. Rendevous with Rama (or indeed 2001/10/69 etc), Galactic Mileu series (Julian May), Eon (Greg Bear), the list is very very long.
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
phonebook
Deadly
Deadly

Post by phonebook »

well i must confess it wasnt original- traveller the grandaddy of them all used exactly the same thing for the cloaking devices- or black globes as they are called in that universe
zevans
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm

Post by zevans »

Some relevant reading (I think DH will enjoy this site!)

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/M ... hlebotinum - the old "a bigger boy invented it and ran away" ploy

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/M ... aceAnsible
- also known as FTL Radio