Have I mentioned...

Off topic discussion zone.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Cody

Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

Cmd. Cheyd wrote:
The 8k x 4k stuff is just what I'm working at. Although it is fun to see 'em load. :P
Ya' know, when all is said & done I really wish you would make the "8k x 4k" package available, too.

Would there be any chance of that happening? Perhaps offering it as a separate download for the discerning visual overkill player (me :lol: )?

:D

L
wackyman465
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by wackyman465 »

mee toooo... just not on the ten year old laptop, sir.
I shot him back first. That is to say, I read his mind and fired before he would have fired on me. No, sir, he wasn't a fugitive.
zevans
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm

Post by zevans »

Cmd. Cheyd wrote:
I'm not sure about the fjords... they're not equatorial enough. :lol:
lfnfan
Deadly
Deadly

Post by lfnfan »

i can't see the mice even at 8k x 4k resolution

(probably a good job - would just make me want to jump on a table and scream)
wackyman465
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by wackyman465 »

How long did that take you, anyway, slartibartfast?
I shot him back first. That is to say, I read his mind and fired before he would have fired on me. No, sir, he wasn't a fugitive.
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

That's a seriously pretty planet! I wanna go there on holiday!
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
wackyman465
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by wackyman465 »

Yep, it'd make a nice vacation from slaying innocent civilians in my imperial courier. That there planet better be in an Anarchy, ya got that?
Cmd. Cheyd
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Deep Horizon Industries Manufacturing & Research Site somewhere in G8...

Post by Cmd. Cheyd »

It could be, Wacky... The file is "Base_Planet_5_1". That means it's a texture for a main planet, with an economy of 5 (Rich Agricultural), and it's the first of five possible textures for that type.

As for time - Don't ask. It was the first one I started, and to a certain degree I'm still working on it. But like anything, the earliest ones take the longest because you're learning.... (Least that's what I'm telling myself. :P)
wackyman465
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by wackyman465 »

So now, with planets that have clear land areas, would it be possible to combine this with planetfall to make it so you could only land on the land?
Cmd. Cheyd
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Deep Horizon Industries Manufacturing & Research Site somewhere in G8...

Post by Cmd. Cheyd »

I'd guess no. The script I'm using to determine what texture to use is making a pseudo-random selection from among 5 choices. This is determined and applied after the system is actual created, from what I understand.

Also, there's no way to communicate where a landmass on the map is to the planetfall script. I'm not sure there's even a mechanism to to determine "what part" of the texture you're over.

But - I'm also a novice OXP creator. Who knows... (shrug)
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

You're guessing correctly. Internally Oolite doesn't know or care how a texture looks like.
wackyman465
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by wackyman465 »

Would it be possible to make the planetfall "stations" visible? Like little docking platforms parallel to the surface, so you had to fly near the ground then land in a hangar? That would be cool.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

IIRC the idea behind Planetfall is not that of station-like structures on the planet, but more like grounding. But I could be wrong.

I think there are two technical/visual problems involved: (1) to place the station/structure in a way that it looks convincing (not too far off the ground, bat also not colliding with the surface), and (2) the problem mentioned above: with textured planets the structures would sometimes appear on "land", and sometimes in "water", which probably would look silly.
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Correct, the ethos behind planetfall is that you actually make, umm, planetfall - ie you actually land.

OK so it is done by a little trick of making a temporary station appear just above the planet surface when you get close enough to almost crash (think of it like an airbag ;) ), but as McLane says, they're not designed to be visible.

We (especially Eric) did have a play with that kind of scenario, but it looks very weird, as the planet rotates underneath the station (which of course stays still), and you end up in most cases being able to either see under or in some cases even fly under the station. They can't be too close to the surface or else they themselves crash, or the game does occasionally if you end up trying to spawn the station inside the planet.

For me my current way of doing it works well enough, and the 600+ downloads of it seem to agree with me ;)
wackyman465
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by wackyman465 »

I like it too, and I do use it. I was just wondering if it'd be possible. I don't suppose it'd be possible to have a collision box smaller than the model, would it? You'd still have the planet turning under the station but it'd be interesting... And somebody around here was talking about a cloud city OXP which would be easy to implement, right? Might try doing something like that, unless the person who was talking about it (i forget who it was ATM) is already planning to work on it or isn't OK with me poaching their idea... :wink: