Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Black Holes

An area for discussing new ideas and additions to Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Cmdr James
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Cmdr James »

wackyman465 wrote:
Commandee, this machine doesn't support shaders. Is there a version of trunk for mac i can download or do i have to build it!
Honestly, Im not sure, I build it with xcode myself, which is free (as in beer) and it is easy to use. As trunk changes pretty much daily, I think it only makes sense to use it if you are happy to rebuild it yourself.

That said, I doubt it will be too long until there is a release, so you might just want to hang on.
wackyman465
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by wackyman465 »

I'm too lazy to build it, so I guess i can wait .
I shot him back first. That is to say, I read his mind and fired before he would have fired on me. No, sir, he wasn't a fugitive.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

I was always wondering whether there is actually something like gravity in Oolite. I've experienced it with Tianve.oxp. The pulsar station isn't orientated toward the pulsar, its docking bay is sideways. Now, while I approached it, I couldn't maintain a straight line towards it. I seemed to be pulled by the pulsar. And for this reason it was impossible to use the docking computers. The ship was also pulled away from the straight line, so the docking computer continued on and on to make corrections, which would inevitable lead to crashing into the station instead of landing.

Now it is years since I visited Tianve (all this was still on 1.65), and there is nothing in the OXP itself that simulates a gravitational pull toward the pulsar. So my conclusion was always that it must have stemmed from Oolite itself.

Or I was hallucinating the whole thing.

So what about you guys? Anybody experienced something similar?
wackyman465
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by wackyman465 »

Nope. Weird though.
I shot him back first. That is to say, I read his mind and fired before he would have fired on me. No, sir, he wasn't a fugitive.
Cmdr James
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Cmdr James »

Im pretty sure I would have noticed any (intentional) gravity in the code. I guess there might be a bug someplace that causes bodies to move together, perhaps in the collision detection, but I doubt it.

I have wondered about it, out of interest, it is NOT going to be done, and I think it would be quite easy to implement an acceleration of Entites based on their masses and their distance apart. Again planets and stars are difficult as they are not sensibly sized, and of course stations and other things "in orbit" would need considerable thought.[/b]
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Cmdr James wrote:
Im pretty sure I would have noticed any (intentional) gravity in the code. I guess there might be a bug someplace that causes bodies to move together, perhaps in the collision detection, but I doubt it.

I have wondered about it, out of interest, it is NOT going to be done, and I think it would be quite easy to implement an acceleration of Entites based on their masses and their distance apart. Again planets and stars are difficult as they are not sensibly sized, and of course stations and other things "in orbit" would need considerable thought.[/b]
I'm sure Ahruman said somewhere in the debate about Newtonian physics that Oolite does have some newtonian-lite physics in the game and things like cargo pods will drift off towards distant bodies - but I can't find the post (I hate this forums search engine!)
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Cmdr James
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Cmdr James »

The only "real" physics I can think of are collision related, where momentum, damage and velocities are all handled quite well. I dont know about escape capsules, but it would be fairly easy to have them head for the planet, and I think this is done through AI. I dont remember for sure though, and I am at work, so I cant easily check.

We also have "viscous space" where things are gradually slowed by "friction" with the atmosphere in space. Not sure how I would class that as phyics goes ;)
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

:roll: I thought you'd written 'vicious space' :lol: A d'oh! moment if ever there was one.
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Hemlock
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Hemlock »

My laptop runs pretty hot but my co-pilot bought me one of these from Mall-Wart for my birthing day celebration.

http://reviews.cnet.com/docks-stands/be ... 35791.html

Plugs right into a USB port and does the biz.

H
Commander Hemlock
wackyman465
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by wackyman465 »

Hemlock wrote:
My laptop runs pretty hot but my co-pilot bought me one of these from Mall-Wart for my birthing day celebration.
:lol: