Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

How to see shaders in action

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Ivan
Competent
Competent

How to see shaders in action

Post by Ivan »

Until this morning I was fairly sure I hadn't seen anything with shaders. Then I saw Griff's Shady Thargoid on YouTube and was very sure. Amazing; definitely not seen anything like that in the game so far.

What would be a quick way of getting them going in some form? Ideally I'd like to have a shady something-or-other to gawp at over lunch break, which starts in about, oh, 45 seconds :P
Ivan
Competent
Competent

Post by Ivan »

I'm a bit disappointed in the lack of response so far, I have to say.
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

To see shaders you need a shader-capable graphics card and the Shaders game option set to either Simple or Full. Oolite will inform you on startup if your system cannot support them (it is written in Latest.log). I don't think there is really much else you can do.

BTW, did you really expect a response within three minutes from posting? Give us some time to read the first post at least ;-)
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

Hey, i like your style Ivan, spend your lunch hour playing Oolite instead of eating sandwiches etc. :D

The griff_thargoids need the 'build it yourself trunk' version of oolite (Oolite 1.73), but there are lots of shader-ified oxp's for the current Oolite test version, try Littlebears Shady black monks (http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Black_Monk_Monastary)
or a fancy cobra III remake that works with Oolite 1.72 (http://www.box.net/shared/buguehovmt )
also the Your Ad Here oxp with the trade outposts in has some fancy shader stuff, i can't find the link for that though i'm afraid and the thread it's in is massive!
Ivan
Competent
Competent

Post by Ivan »

Thanks Griff, going to get one of those now.

Impatience must be a Friday afternoon thing, the week drawing to a close and all that. We demand shaders. We want them here, and we want them now.
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

Ivan wrote:
Impatience must be a Friday afternoon thing, the week drawing to a close and all that. We demand shaders. We want them here, and we want them now.
Lunch break of only 2 minutes, (3 minutes minus the announced 45 seconds to start) that's fast. Did you manage to eat at all?.

You could also add the latest version of Thargorn_Threat_oxp That file contains the freaky thargoid.oxp. When added also all thargoids from Thargorn_Threat get those shaders.
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Griff wrote:
Hey, i like your style Ivan, spend your lunch hour playing Oolite instead of eating sandwiches etc. :D

The griff_thargoids need the 'build it yourself trunk' version of oolite (Oolite 1.73), but there are lots of shader-ified oxp's for the current Oolite test version, try Littlebears Shady black monks (http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Black_Monk_Monastary)
or a fancy cobra III remake that works with Oolite 1.72 (http://www.box.net/shared/buguehovmt )
also the Your Ad Here oxp with the trade outposts in has some fancy shader stuff, i can't find the link for that though i'm afraid and the thread it's in is massive!
Ark and Doc had a chat - Doc is still hosting the new V4 of YAH, so can be found here: http://sancho.dk/oolite/Yaw_V4.zip

It's linked from the wiki: http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Your_Ad_Here%21

BTW Griff - we'd still like the king of animated roof boards to come up with another one for the forthcoming Set G - if you're willing and have the time...
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Ivan
Competent
Competent

Post by Ivan »

Yay, shaders at last :D They look fantastic. Shame the weekend's booked up already :evil:

Yes, lunch that fast today, or near enough. And yes, another_commander, expect instant response at all times. I very nearly rang customer support to complain.
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

Ivan wrote:
Yay, shaders at last :D They look fantastic. Shame the weekend's booked up already :evil:

Yes, lunch that fast today, or near enough. And yes, another_commander, expect instant response at all times. I very nearly rang customer support to complain.
Customer? You mean you paid someone for a copy of Oolite?
Damn you've been had.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Griff wrote:
The griff_thargoids need the 'build it yourself trunk' version of oolite (Oolite 1.73)
And if you want to try trunk (and the griff_thargoids) without building it yourself, so long as you're using XP, Vista or Windows 7 you can download the latest build as an installer from the thread >here<. Just be sure to read the main post before clicking the link at the bottom...
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied