1.72.2 Linux - managed to target myself

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

Smeghead
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

1.72.2 Linux - managed to target myself

Post by Smeghead »

I poked around in the search, but I didn't manage to find anything that matches this weird bug. Apologies if this has already been reported.

Anyway, I've managed to get oolite into a state where I've targeted myself, and I can take damage by shooting myself. Yes, I am possibly that retarded. :oops:

Allow me to back up a bit...

I'm running with a variety of expansions, including the Galactic Navy oxp. While on the way to a naval reserve mission (to intercept a Thargoid fleet, natch) I misjumped and ended up fighting off a bunch of Thargorns. You know how it goes - kill all the heavies, and you're left with a bunch of deactivated fighters floating about the place.

To pick up a few extra credits & kills on the cheap, I typically destroy a few of the fighters before jumping on. I was in the middle of doing just that when I encountered something really weird.

After blowing a few of 'em away, I put another fighter in my crosshairs and targeted it, only to be told "Ident System locked onto Cobra Mk III". That looked a bit odd, I thought, but on the off chance I was inadvertently targeting another ship, I veered off and approached from a different angle.

Retargeting resulted in the exact same message. Even weirder.

Seeing nothing that I would hit inadvertently between me and what I thought was my target, I went ahead and fired. To my surprise, my fore shields took a hit.

I thought I'd screwed up at that point and managed to hit someone else, causing them to retaliate, or there was something else out there firing on me. However, the HUD was still showing condition yellow, I'm Clean, and there's nothing on the scanner that would likely be hitting me from the front.

Not understanding where the shot came from, I fired again. My shields dropped even further. I fired again, and got the same effect.

I believe I've gone and targeted myself, or more properly, I've targeted another object out there that appears to somehow be a clone of myself. It has the model of a Thargorn fighter, but apparently is my doppelganger.

Here's a Shift+h dump of my target:

Code: Select all

[dumpState]: State for <PlayerEntity 0xb690b08>{"Cobra Mark III" ID: 100 position: (7798.69, -3466.05, -34073.1) scanClass: CLASS_PLAYER status: STATUS_IN_FLIGHT}:
  [dumpState.entity]: Universal ID: 100
  [dumpState.entity]: Scan class: CLASS_PLAYER
  [dumpState.entity]: Status: STATUS_IN_FLIGHT
  [dumpState.entity]: Position: (7798.69, -3466.05, -34073.1)
  [dumpState.entity]: Orientation: (-0.362548 + 0.652513i - 0.567463j + 0.347521k)
  [dumpState.entity]: Distance travelled: 1.54371e+07
  [dumpState.entity]: Energy: 255.94 of 256
  [dumpState.entity]: Mass: 185580
  [dumpState.entity]: Flags: isShip, isPlayer, collisionTestFilter
  [dumpState.shipEntity]: Name: Cobra Mark III
  [dumpState.shipEntity]: Display Name: Cobra Mark III
  [dumpState.shipEntity]: Roles: <OORoleSet 0xb0aee10>{player}
  [dumpState.shipEntity]: Primary role: player
  [dumpState.shipEntity]: Script: (nil)
  [dumpState.shipEntity]: Subentity count: 2
  [dumpState.shipEntity]: Behaviour: BEHAVIOUR_ATTACK_TARGET
  [dumpState.shipEntity]: Target: <PlayerEntity 0xb690b08>{"Cobra Mark III" ID: 100 position: (7798.69, -3466.05, -34073.1) scanClass: CLASS_PLAYER status: STATUS_IN_FLIGHT}
  [dumpState.shipEntity]: Destination: (-2598.17, 1496.2, 249115)
  [dumpState.shipEntity]: Other destination: (0, 0, 0)
  [dumpState.shipEntity]: Waypoint count: 0
  [dumpState.shipEntity]: Desired speed: 0
  [dumpState.shipEntity]: Fuel: 44
  [dumpState.shipEntity]: Fuel accumulator: 0.931844
  [dumpState.shipEntity]: Missile count: 2
  [dumpState.shipEntity.ai]: AI:
    [dumpState.ai]: State machine name: dockingAI.plist
    [dumpState.ai]: Current state: GLOBAL
    [dumpState.ai]: Next think time: 16768.5
    [dumpState.ai]: Next think interval: 0.125
  [dumpState.shipEntity]: Frustration: 0
  [dumpState.shipEntity]: Success factor: 0
  [dumpState.shipEntity]: Shots fired: 117
  [dumpState.shipEntity]: Time since shot: 10.9308
  [dumpState.shipEntity]: Spawn time: 0 (16768.3 seconds ago)
  [dumpState.shipEntity]: Hull temperature: 60
  [dumpState.shipEntity]: Heat insulation: 1
  [dumpState.shipEntity]: Flags: proximity_alert
  [dumpState.playerEntity]: Ship: cobra3-player
  [dumpState.playerEntity]: Script time: 733.138
  [dumpState.playerEntity]: Script time check: 740
  [dumpState.playerEntity]: Script time interval: 10
  [dumpState.playerEntity]: Roll/pitch/yaw delta: 4, 2, 2
  [dumpState.playerEntity]: Shield: 2.47033e-323 fore, 2 aft
  [dumpState.playerEntity]: Alert level: 32, flags: 0x2
  [dumpState.playerEntity]: Missile status: 2
  [dumpState.playerEntity]: Energy unit: ENERGY_UNIT_NORMAL
  [dumpState.playerEntity]: Fuel leak rate: 0
  [dumpState.playerEntity]: Trumble count: 0
  [dumpState.playerEntity]: Flags: found_equipment, pollControls, ident_engaged, keyboardRollPitchOverride, keyboardYawOverride
I've suspended this instance of oolite for now in case anyone would like me to dump more information to the log.
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Re: 1.72.2 Linux - managed to target myself

Post by Eric Walch »

Smeghead wrote:
I've managed to get oolite into a state where I've targeted myself, and I can take damage by shooting myself. Yes, I am possibly that retarded. :oops:

Code: Select all

[dumpState]: State for <PlayerEntity 0xb690b08>{"Cobra Mark III" ID: 100 position: (7798.69, -3466.05, -34073.1) scanClass: CLASS_PLAYER status: STATUS_IN_FLIGHT}:
  [dumpState.entity]: Universal ID: 100
  [dumpState.entity]: Scan class: CLASS_PLAYER
  [dumpState.entity]: Status: STATUS_IN_FLIGHT

[dumpState.shipEntity]: Name: Cobra Mark III
  [dumpState.shipEntity]: Display Name: Cobra Mark III

[dumpState.shipEntity]: Behaviour: BEHAVIOUR_ATTACK_TARGET
  [dumpState.shipEntity]: Target: <PlayerEntity 0xb690b08>{"Cobra Mark III" ID: 100 position: (7798.69, -3466.05, -34073.1) scanClass: CLASS_PLAYER status: STATUS_IN_FLIGHT}

[dumpState.shipEntity]: Flags: proximity_alert
  [dumpState.playerEntity]: Ship: cobra3-player

I have heard this one time earlier, about half a year ago. In your dump there is another strange thing. It has a proximity alert with itself. No idea though what is happening here.
Nemoricus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Nemoricus »

I've had this happen to me once or twice before. The targeting bug is not something that Galactic Navy does. It' a problem somewhere in Oolite itself.

It's still very strange and annoying, though.
Dream as if you'll live forever
Live as if you'll die tomorrow
Frame
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Frame »

I think that the thargon may have aqquired ID 100, when/if the ID wraps...
since there are special circumstance in regard to the thargon.. & ID 100 is always the player,

1 it is launched like a missile. (therefore it spawns in a special way)
2 it becomes uncontrolled

somewhere in the code maze it may aqquire ID 100, but not very often / or often enough for the player to take notice...
Bounty Scanner
Number 935
Smeghead
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Post by Smeghead »

The proximity alert probably isn't that weird, given the circumstances. It's me (or at least, its metadata is), it has the same position as me (even if the model doesn't), so it's basically always going to have a proximity alert.

Heh - I wonder if, during the fight, I took hits from everyone else shooting at it. Also, I'm somewhat tempted to try to scoop the little bugger, just to see what happens.

This kinda makes me want to check out trunk and have a poke around to see what makes all this stuff tick. :)

Anyway, I'm assuming that there's probably nothing more to be gleaned from the current state of the program, given it already acquired the player's ID a while back.

Edit: heh - it's unscoopable. The fuel scoop's trying (HUD animation, sound effect), but the little sod ain't moving, which shouldn't be that surprising, I guess.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Frame wrote:
I think that the thargon may have aqquired ID 100, when/if the ID wraps...
since there are special circumstance in regard to the thargon.. & ID 100 is always the player,

1 it is launched like a missile. (therefore it spawns in a special way)
2 it becomes uncontrolled

somewhere in the code maze it may aqquire ID 100, but not very often / or often enough for the player to take notice...
I guess herein lies a clue to tracking down and fixing this bug.. gotta hand it to you Frame.. you're good at finding these things.. :D
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied