Naval Energy Unit

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Pansen
Dangerous
Dangerous

Naval Energy Unit

Post by Pansen »

Hi.

I'm playing version 1.72.2, and just purchased a Mussurana which had a Naval Energy Unit (NEU)- problem is, that once I had purchased the craft, the NEU did not show in my equipment list.

To double check that I hadn't accidently purchased the wrong ship (ie one Without the NEU), I went back to a previous save file, and purchased the ship again - the same thing happened! (has certainly charged me the 1005000Cr that it costs for a ship with this upgrade, too!).

I also tried purchasing a Cobra with an NEU to see if there was simpy a bug with the NEU being recognised, but on the Cobra it was present on the equipment list :?

Spent hours saving up to get this ship, so a bit gutted! Any ideas?

Cheers guys
Zbond-Zbond
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zbond-Zbond »

I have a StarhawkClassCruiser which has both an ExtraEnergyUnit AND a NavalEnergyUnit.

Additionally, in an earlier saved game where I was flying my fave rave the BoaClassCruiser - with a newly awarded NEU installed - and having crashed spectacularly into a Coriolis station whilst looking behind at the interesting missiles headed my way, I was obliged to return to an early save and ended up repeating that mission somehow in a ship that already had an NEU. My reward message said "congratulations Commander, etc., you have been rewarded with AN EXTRA NAVAL ENERGY UNIT" (or words to that effect).

That ship then had a higher energy recharge rate :!:

All these seem to be things that aren't supposed to happen; removing the OXP file containing MUSSURANA from "AddOns" folder and trashing it, doing the same with saved Mussurana commander (hoping it harks from not too long ago - perhaps save "OoliteSaves" to disk first?), re-downloading the OXP and re-installing it MIGHT help: I don't know.

I have a saved Mussurana with NEU - the ship will certainly tolerate one.

Hope this is some help.
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Re: Naval Energy Unit

Post by Eric Walch »

Pansen wrote:
I'm playing version 1.72.2, and just purchased a Mussurana which had a Naval Energy Unit (NEU)- problem is, that once I had purchased the craft, the NEU did not show in my equipment list.
Spent hours saving up to get this ship, so a bit gutted! Any ideas?

Cheers guys
It is just that that ship is wrongly defined. Not all ships can buy all equipment. In its definition it is not allowed to buy the normal EU but only the NEU. Oolite has problems with this strange definition because to need to have the EU to be able to buy a NEU.
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

Repaired that for future OSE.

As for the original oxp, perhaps its creator might be dropped a PN?

:idea:

L
Zbond-Zbond
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zbond-Zbond »

..but there doesn't seem to be a problem with the Mussurana as such. I can buy a NEU without difficulty at appropriate TL; just tried again: no difficulty.
Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

Zbond-Zbond wrote:
..but there doesn't seem to be a problem with the Mussurana as such. I can buy a NEU without difficulty at appropriate TL; just tried again: no difficulty.
This ship has a bit other definition than others. I think it is an Oolite bug that only happens on buying a ship. This is because both EU can't be installed together. I now moved the normal EU from standard equipment to optional equipment: Aegidian-special fixed?? Let me know if this solves the problem. If yes, it is an oolite bug.
Zbond-Zbond
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zbond-Zbond »

I have never bought the Mussurana WITH a NavalEnergyUnit, just added it later. Perhaps that is another method to get one?
Pansen
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Pansen »

Very many thanks - will give the OXP a try over the weekend. :)

It was mentioned above that someone had bought a NEU - didn't think this was possible (thought either ships came with it already fitted, OR it was given on completion of a certain mission??)

Thanks again!
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

It's possible with the Realistic Shipyards meta-oxp and will still be possible (though more difficult and expensive) in that one's successor, Oolite Shipyards Extension which is currently beta and in development.

Cheers

L
Pansen
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Pansen »

- Just read a the Constrictor Mission thread, and note that the Navy awards a permit allowing a commander to purchase the NEU on completion of the mission, rather than awarding the NEU directly, so guess this is how it can be bought;-).

Has this always been the case? Sure I remember completing the constrictor mission on an earlier version of oolite, and being awarded the NEU directly. If this was the case, will it mean that I am unable to play the constrictor mission again on ver. 1.72.2 so as to win the right to purchase the NEU?
Pansen
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Pansen »

Thanks again! will install the realistic shipyards OXP, I think!
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

The NEU gets awarded by one of the inbuilt missions, and its tech level gets reduced so that it is buyable afterwards.

But this mission is not the Constrictor one ... :wink:

8)

L
Pansen
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Pansen »

OK! I must be getting my missions muddled! Hopefully I'll stumble over the correct mission sooner or later;-)
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

Assume ... there are plans ... from/concerning the Thargoids ...

:twisted:

L
Zbond-Zbond
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zbond-Zbond »

Recently traded in a Falcon"S" for new BoaCC.

Requiring the NEU, I went down the equipment list buying everything, which meant that I bought the ExtraEnergyUnit and then immediately (although not really intending to buy both) the NEU, followed by all the other equipment plus some armaments.

After this splurge, the eqpt. list showed BOTH an ExtraEnergyUnit AND a NEU..

There are a couple of saved ships with this configuration, but I don't think it has much effect on energy re-charge rate.

ZB