Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Manually removing certain ships

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Commander Burton
Competent
Competent

Manually removing certain ships

Post by Commander Burton »

Hello again, Commanders.

I would like to know how to manually remove certain ships from oxps.

Specifically, I wish to remove the Star Wars ships from the Realistic Shipyards mod. Where and what should i edit please ?

I have v1.72, pc, windows.

Thanks in advance.
Yours,

Cdr Burton
Elite
Since
MCMLXXXIV
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

Hi Commander Burton,

I copied & pasted an old How-To about that from an old thread:

1. You make a list of the in-game names of the ships you want to remove from the game.

2. You open the Realistic Shipyard`s shipdata.plist and search via search function after those names.

3. At each name, you write down the plist name: It´s at the beginning of each shipdata & shipyard.plist entry and says "<key>shipname</key>". Write down those plist names also.

4. Delete the entries of the ships you don`t want in the shipdata.plist. Keep in mind that many ships have different versions, some player and some NPC, and if you want them completely gone, you have to take all of them out. You should already have found them all in step 2!

5. After editing (and saving) the shipdata.plist, open the shipyard.plist.

6. Search for the plist names of the player versions of the ships you want to remove (you won`t find their in-game names here).

7. Remove the entries corresponding to the ships you don`t want.

8. Save your new shipyard.plist.

9. Next time you start the game, remember to press SHIFT while starting so that the game recognises the changes you have made. After that, at every game start you have the oxp without the ships you don`t want.

Have fun 8)

L
Zbond-Zbond
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zbond-Zbond »

do you also hold down [shift] when starting up on mac?

& by "starting up" do you mean when clicking on Oolite application icon, or when clicking on its folder thing icon?
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

If you have changed something inside an oxp but not exchanged oxps themselves completely, you have to hold down SHIFT when you next start the game so that Oolite recognises the changes you have made.

So, by "starting up" I meant clicking on the Oolite application icon when you start the game, after you have made your changes.

Hope that helps 8)

L
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Although I should add that by "hold down Shift", Lestradae means, "Hold down Shift from the time you click on the icon until the spinning Cobra MkIII appears on your screen"...
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

What Diziet Sma said 8)
Cmdr James
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Cmdr James »

Or you could go the other way about, and instead of removing what you dont want from RS, you could add what you do want as separate OXPs from a bare system. Either way should work, depending on how close to the full set you want one method may be quicker/easier than the other.

As an aside, if you do create an RS-starwars, it might be worth making it available someplace like the wiki, since a few people have asked for it.
Zbond-Zbond
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zbond-Zbond »

thank you all very clear :idea: