sun_radius vs distance between main planet and sun

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

metri
Above Average
Above Average

sun_radius vs distance between main planet and sun

Post by metri »

Increasing sun_radius to very high value (400000) will make oolite calculating sun position from main planet to take almost forever.

So "do {} while" code in Universe.m needs some improvement.
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Re: sun_radius vs distance between main planet and sun

Post by Eric Walch »

metri wrote:
Increasing sun_radius to very high value (400000) will make oolite calculating sun position from main planet to take almost forever.

So "do {} while" code in Universe.m needs some improvement.
This large sun diameter took forever with me so I had even to quit Oolite with this value. This is easy fixed by putting a sun_distance += sun_radius; immediately before the do-while loop. This way you don't change the random numbers and the sun-planet vector stays the same. (I checked it in game)

But this fix will putt all suns one diameter further away. So it also needs a check to only do this when the sun diameter is defined larger that normal values. I'll look what values qualify so it does not change distances in a unmodified game.

EDIT: fixed now, added:
if(sun_radius > 250000) sun_distance += sun_radius;

241920 m is the highest possible in-game generated sun_radius. Using a higher value won't change old distances but will put big suns one solar diameter further away and by this avoiding an endless looping while statement. Thanks for spotting metri. 8)