An OXP I'd like to have

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

zevans
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm

Post by zevans »

El Viejo wrote:
Zevans
Actually I was thinking of Elite Plus…anyone remember that? I still have it on 3.5 floppy and occasionally run it in DosBox. I’m sure that had coloured suns and the occasional double. It also had a ninth galaxy, I think.
I remember there was a version for the 6502 co-pro, which was the first one with the coloured suns. Ninth galaxy was on the Master versions I dimly remember, maybe that's what you have an image of?
I like the idea of diving into a black hole and then "pressing space". An interesting term for the compression of matter to the nth degree.
Heh I see what you mean - LITERALLY pressing space... until you can't press any harder!
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

It would be nice if the trunk version had a greater randomness in color for each system. Now the difference is very subtle. Maybe even have a preset factor for each class of stars. And then randomize each systems star class.

Like in this image I

ImageImage
For P.A. Groove's music check
https://soundcloud.com/p-a-groove
Famous Planets v 2.7. (for Povray)
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13709
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Zevans
I guess I’ll have to load it up, find an old save game and go galaxy hopping, just to check.

Pagroove
Nice classification, but if you get too astronomical, only spectral types: G, K and M are likely to have planets. F is marginal. Let’s just have varied colours: there
are many shades of yellow, orange and red. Astronomically speaking, binary and trinary systems are quite abundant.

However, the game is great. Four weeks in and it's got me!
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

El Viejo wrote:
Zevans
I guess I’ll have to load it up, find an old save game and go galaxy hopping, just to check.

Pagroove
Nice classification, but if you get too astronomical, only spectral types: G, K and M are likely to have planets. F is marginal. Let’s just have varied colours: there
are many shades of yellow, orange and red. Astronomically speaking, binary and trinary systems are quite abundant.

However, the game is great. Four weeks in and it's got me!
Well I've just found the image by using Google image seek. 8)
For P.A. Groove's music check
https://soundcloud.com/p-a-groove
Famous Planets v 2.7. (for Povray)
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13709
Cody

Post by Cody »

A Google Image Seeker - good name for a missile, for use against billboards.
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

El Viejo wrote:
A Google Image Seeker - good name for a missile, for use against billboards.
Yeh, fired from Oohay! class fighters. :wink:
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
zevans
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm

Post by zevans »

And the planets would have to be the appropriate distance from the sun for the right temperature too...
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

zevans wrote:
And the planets would have to be the appropriate distance from the sun for the right temperature too...
Lizards might like hot, sandy planets...
Selezen wrote:
Cody

Post by Cody »

DH
…or worms, as on Arrakis.

There is another OXP I’d like to see. I’m a minimalist as far as OXP’s go – I only run three, as stated before. However, even going back to the original Elite, I always thought there was a class of ship missing: the Copperhead – an “honourable snake” (I love that term) capable of delivering a dry bite (i.e. no venom) as a warning, and then freezing to see what happens next. Don’t annoy it twice.

Is there “honour” in the Ooniverse? I’d like to think so.

Taking the Cobra Mk III as the base line, the Copperhead should be a little faster, a little lighter (i.e. less cargo space) and a tad more manoeuvrable. In appearance, it should be more streamlined than a Cobra. The colour is obvious. Any ship Oxp designers interested?
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

El Viejo wrote:
DH
…or worms, as on Arrakis.

There is another OXP I’d like to see. I’m a minimalist as far as OXP’s go – I only run three, as stated before. However, even going back to the original Elite, I always thought there was a class of ship missing: the Copperhead – an “honourable snake” (I love that term) capable of delivering a dry bite (i.e. no venom) as a warning, and then freezing to see what happens next. Don’t annoy it twice.

Is there “honour” in the Ooniverse? I’d like to think so.

Taking the Cobra Mk III as the base line, the Copperhead should be a little faster, a little lighter (i.e. less cargo space) and a tad more manoeuvrable. In appearance, it should be more streamlined than a Cobra. The colour is obvious. Any ship Oxp designers interested?
I was just thinking there are a lot of "Lizards" in the planetary descriptions - if we could match planets/species/orbital distance with reasonable sun-type then we'd gain some (limited) astronomical plausibility...
Selezen wrote:
Cody

Post by Cody »

...astronomical plausibility. Another nice term!
zevans
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by zevans »

With a name like that we'd need to extend Famous Planets to include "Jupiter and Saturn, Oberon, Miranda and Titania... "

We've already got blinding signs flap flicker flicker flicker in Your Ad Here :-) (And I notice an flyposter for the band in question...)
Cody

Post by Cody »

Oh well! I'll just "Set the controls for the heart of the Sun"!