Why Oolite is better than Eve

Off topic discussion zone.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Cody

Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Here's an interesting tale of (among other things) somebody in EVE Online who spent $100,000 RL money to acquire an invincible fleet. Also, game-life spills over into RL in other ways..
Lotka Volterra had unveiled one of the first Titans against us to catastrophic consequences, and at the time these profoundly silly ships were nearly impossible to kill through legitimate in-game means; they were essentially invulnerable, with the only Titans destroyed through catching the ship while the pilot was disconnected from the game. It was determined that 'The Enslaver' and his Avatar-class Titan had to go. I was approached by one of the leaders of Red Alliance to help make this happen, but almost immediately we were down the rabbit hole. Much to my surprise, the RA director didn't want in-game information from me; he wanted us to use the forensic resources of our intelligence agency to trace down The Enslaver's home address. At a coordinated time, armed with this information, a RA member would apparently cut the power to The Enslaver's house in the real world, and in EVE a RA capital fleet would assault the abruptly pilotless Titan.
The rest of this article is just plain :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Thanks so much to everyone in this thread who have helped convince me never to touch EVE.. :D
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Diziet Sma wrote:
Here's an interesting tale of (among other things) somebody in EVE Online who spent $100,000 RL money to acquire an invincible fleet. Also, game-life spills over into RL in other ways..
Lotka Volterra had unveiled one of the first Titans against us to catastrophic consequences, and at the time these profoundly silly ships were nearly impossible to kill through legitimate in-game means; they were essentially invulnerable, with the only Titans destroyed through catching the ship while the pilot was disconnected from the game. It was determined that 'The Enslaver' and his Avatar-class Titan had to go. I was approached by one of the leaders of Red Alliance to help make this happen, but almost immediately we were down the rabbit hole. Much to my surprise, the RA director didn't want in-game information from me; he wanted us to use the forensic resources of our intelligence agency to trace down The Enslaver's home address. At a coordinated time, armed with this information, a RA member would apparently cut the power to The Enslaver's house in the real world, and in EVE a RA capital fleet would assault the abruptly pilotless Titan.

Thanks so much to everyone in this thread who have helped convince me never to touch EVE.. :D
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

That's just scarily bonkers!!!!!
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

OK, now I know where the Matrix got its ideas from... :-)
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Diziet Sma wrote:

Confused - I can't find your quote in relation to the link you posted! I need it so I can send it to a colleague who is researching the links between online gaming and RL...
Selezen wrote:
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

At the top of the 3rd page of the article... how this situation actually came to be resolved is even weirder/crazier.. heck, tell 'em to read all 3 pages, it's pretty incredible.. :shock:
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

Diziet Sma wrote:

Ha ha ha ! The mighty Mittani suffering from border line mental illness, due to EVE.

It's the game that made him and the game that slowly appears to be swallowing his soul. I'll get the popcorn on. There have got to be a lot of EVE widows out there.

That's how to get yourself killed; Get a tea-shirt made up;

"I'm making Cain with your wife, while you were playing EVE".

or

"I'z in ur EVE account, flying ur Titan."
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Diziet Sma wrote:
At the top of the 3rd page of the article... how this situation actually came to be resolved is even weirder/crazier.. heck, tell 'em to read all 3 pages, it's pretty incredible.. :shock:
Yup, got it now!

Thanks.

Try this: http://www.channel4.com/programmes/anot ... od#2924948

EVE gets a section 1:00hr in to the show
Selezen wrote:
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
Diziet Sma wrote:
Yup, got it now!

Thanks.

Try this: http://www.channel4.com/programmes/anot ... od#2924948

EVE gets a section 1:00hr in to the show
Meh, fried my browser, I'll wait till I can get it on my Mac monster back home.
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

Another tale from EVE:

Billions stolen in online robbery

and something on online games in general:

Online games, real-life crimes
Erai
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Erai »

MMORPGs pull in weird people, and EVE is no different.

I just chuckle over the ensuing dramas from a distance. And get my kicks out of running blockades in Rancer, Nalvula and Egghelende... I know, I know, it'll get boring eventually, but then there's always Oolite to return to :D
Deadly
Deadly

Post by 0235 »

well, for me it would be
1. oolite works (sort of) on my pc
2. its free!

i was thinking of getting eve, as erai says, it pulls in strange people, therefore me, but my pc or my bank couldnt handle it!
wackyman465
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by wackyman465 »

Every so often I enjoy watching EVE. It's a sort of interactive screensaver, IIRC. The game ought to have some action to it as well to be good.
I shot him back first. That is to say, I read his mind and fired before he would have fired on me. No, sir, he wasn't a fugitive.