Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Hello, and a trivial question

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

mlewissmith
Poor
Poor

Hello, and a trivial question

Post by mlewissmith »

Hello all

I understand I've come to the friendliest place this side of Riedquat. Good to meet you all -- I feel like I know you already...

You guys have a lot to answer for -- I discovered Oolite a couple of weeks ago and I've been playing pretty much non-stop since then. On my work computer. Bah -- I probably won't get fired. I've been meaning to drop by and say hello ever since, but haven't got round to it -- partly because I'm too engrossed in the game, but mostly because I've been struck speechless by the whole thing.

I used to play Elite -- the BBC disk version. You know -- the one with the mining laser upgrade but the bug which meant there were no asteroids to mine. It was an amazing game itself and, sadly, it stuck in my mind so much that I would sometimes dream about it twenty years later. Until I found Oolite...

Oolite is the game that existed in my head.

I suppose there ought to be a question in here, instead of just gushing praise on all the developers of the game and OXPs.

Erm.

Ok, how do you pronounce "Oolite"?
JohnnyBoy
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JohnnyBoy »

Hello there mlewissmith!

I've always pronounced it "oooh-light". Don't know if I've been doing it wrong though... :?
"That's no vicious Treeoid. That's my wife."
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Hello to you MLS! And we already have a difference of opinion - I've always pronounced it "oo" (as in "you only get an "oo" with typhoo") "leet" (as in "leet-speak"
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

I'm with DaddyHoggy here. And I put the stress on the second syllable, thus: "ooLEET".
mlewissmith
Poor
Poor

Post by mlewissmith »

Indeed -- ooLEET here, too. But I keep having to stop myself thinking "oh-oh-light" (which sounds like a second-rate programming language).

It does blur into "oh-leet", though, which isn't so far from the original.
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

Well, since this is an existing english word, which is definitely pronounced oh-uh-lahyt, I have always chosen to go with something that sounds like JohnyBoy's oooh-light (btw the lady from CustomSounds OXP seems to agree with this. Listen to how she pronounces it in the rotating Cobra screen).
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

Welcome to the board.

Ooo lee te? :shock:
For P.A. Groove's music check
https://soundcloud.com/p-a-groove
Famous Planets v 2.7. (for Povray)
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13709
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

Hi matey I've always called it oolight with the emphasis on the oo, but perhaps we should change it's name to Elite4
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

But its so much better than anything Elite4 could ever be!
Selezen wrote:
Flashheart
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Flashheart »

Massive bump for this topic eh? :lol:

As a relative newcomer to this superb game I am troubled by it's silly (IMHO) name. Whenever I talk to anyone about it I have to spell it out and offer up two or three pronunciations, all of which seem equally daft. It also looks like open office lite!

To the powers-that-be, please, please, please, change it's name to something else! Please?
Davidtq
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Davidtq »

I always go with oo-leet based on the "elite" origin.

Whenever I talk about the game I talk about it as a "remake" of elite, the name normally comes later.
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Flashheart wrote:

As a relative newcomer to this superb game I am troubled by it's silly (IMHO) name. Whenever I talk to anyone about it I have to spell it out and offer up two or three pronunciations, all of which seem equally daft. It also looks like open office lite!

To the powers-that-be, please, please, please, change it's name to something else! Please?
No. :wink:

Not that I'm a power that be!
Selezen wrote:
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

'tis not silly, 'tis actually quite clever, in a typically geeky way..

but I'll let someone else explain why, 'cause it's after midnight here and I'm off to bed!
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Davidtq
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Davidtq »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
Flashheart wrote:

Not that I'm a power that be!
Indeed the OOniverse just wouldnt be the same without all the "oo" names in various oxp added items, which in some ways recaptures the humour of edible arts graduates that was sorely lacking in the actual elite sequels.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
Wow, DH... that was my first reaction too.. guess great minds really do think alike! :lol:
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied