Planetfall

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Hemlock
Dangerous
Dangerous

Planetfall

Post by Hemlock »

Erm....perhaps with all my questions, I am probably going to wear out my welcome.......Nevertheless...

I downloaded and installed Planetfall. Now when I fly toward the planet I get a message:

"Your ship is not equipped for Planet fall - do not attempt landing"

I did read I have to request permission to land...but for the like of me I cannot seem to grasp how one would do that......

any help would be most appreciated.....then I will go and hide in the corner of another galaxy for a while

Thanks

H
Commander Hemlock
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Planetfall

Post by ClymAngus »

You should be able to buy a landing gear from any resonable tech level station.
Hemlock wrote:
Erm....perhaps with all my questions, I am probably going to wear out my welcome.......Nevertheless...

I downloaded and installed Planetfall. Now when I fly toward the planet I get a message:

"Your ship is not equipped for Planet fall - do not attempt landing"

I did read I have to request permission to land...but for the like of me I cannot seem to grasp how one would do that......

any help would be most appreciated.....then I will go and hide in the corner of another galaxy for a while

Thanks

H
Hemlock
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Hemlock »

Thanks...I may be too stupid to play this game :oops:

However...I now get a message saying "Please approach and request landing clearance"

Do I just keep flying toward the planet...or is there a key I should press?

Again..thanks for the help

H
Commander Hemlock
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Screet »

Hemlock wrote:
However...I now get a message saying "Please approach and request landing clearance"

Do I just keep flying toward the planet...or is there a key I should press
If you slowly fly towards the planet, you will get clearance. There's no key required.

Screet
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

The "Please approach and request landing clearance" is a general greeting instruction. Continue on towards the planet, and when you get low enough (your alert status will start flashing red) you'll automatically make your request (you'll get another message). Once you've received your clearance (takes a few seconds) you can continue on towards the planet.

It's a little cludgy I know, but as you can't assign keystrokes in OXPs there's no other way around it. And the pause was put in there deliberately as it was generally felt by my beta-testers that just flying at the planet was a bit too easy.
Hemlock
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Hemlock »

Thanks guys :D

Like I said, I may not be intelligent enough for this game...

H
Commander Hemlock
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

Hemlock wrote:
Thanks guys :D

Like I said, I may not be intelligent enough for this game...

H
If it's any conciliation it took me 20 goes to beat asteroid storm and a forced refit of my craft with 4 military lasers and a shed load of pyloned missiles and even then I only just did it.

The sky was running red with firepower.
parazaine
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by parazaine »

Hi, ive installed planetfall and the various add-ons that compliment it - ive bought and equipped all the necessary equipment but when i fly towards the planet, i get no messages and burn up in the atmosphere??? any help would be appreciated - i dont understand if the equipment is available etc, why isnt the oxp activating???
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

parazaine wrote:
Hi, ive installed planetfall and the various add-ons that compliment it - ive bought and equipped all the necessary equipment but when i fly towards the planet, i get no messages and burn up in the atmosphere??? any help would be appreciated - i dont understand if the equipment is available etc, why isnt the oxp activating???
Hi parazaine, and welcome to the friendliest board this side of Reidquat!

Did you buy the heat-shields too? You need those as well as landing gear.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Which version of Oolite are you running?

As asked above, have you purchased the planetary landing capability equipment?

Have you installed the OXP correctly (you should get some messages when you approach the planet, even if you are incorrectly equipped - no messages maybe means you haven't got the OXP loading right).
parazaine
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by parazaine »

Thanks to everyone that replied, i uninstalled planetfall, then re-installed it and it worked - i was confused because i have version 1.7.2 and had all the correct equipment so couldnt work out why it wasnt working - still dont know why but reinstalling fixed the problem whatever it was
parazaine
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by parazaine »

I know all about your oxp's Thargoid and have most of them installed - how difficult is it for a novice programmer to get involved in making their own oxp's and can you recommend any software tools etc? Many thanks for your help (and your excellent add-ons)
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Firstly I'd say think of what you want to do, and plan it out.

Secondly have a look at other peoples OXPs that are along the lines of what you want (or indeed you just like, or are popular) and see how their code goes and how they do things.

Lastly and certainly not leastly, look in the wiki. There are a huge amount of very useful resources there (e.g. the Javascript reference pages on the various sub-sections). Also look on the net for some of the introduction to Javascript tutorials if you're not too sure on how things go there.

Nothing much really required in terms of software. Personally I tend to write all my code in Wordpad on WinXP, do the graphics with GIMP and the modelling with Wings3D (all free). And for code testing and debugging (and cheating if you're so inclined), your man is the debug console and OXP.

And of course the other major resource is this place. Most people here are more than willing to lend a hand if you get stuck or need some assistance in how to do something, or why something you think should be doing something isn't.