Elite offshoots

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Nemoricus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Elite offshoots

Post by Nemoricus »

Elite was a groundbreaking game that helped revolutionise an industry back in its day. Since then, many other games of been made which owe something to that original classic.

While I'm aware of some of them, I'd like to hear about what other games took something from Elite.

I'd also like to see these in two broad categories, those that took their core gameplay from Elite and those which were inspired by some element of it.

Oolite, Elite: The New Kinds, Frontier: Elite 2, Frontier: First Encounters, JJFFE, and FFE D3D all play relatively close to that original model. While the latter games deviated from Elite in how their physics model worked, their core gameplay was heavily influenced by that of Elite.

EVE Online and some other games, while inspired by Elite, diverged from that model and became distinctly different.

What other games are there that took something from Elite? I'm particularly interested in the various clones of the original Elite.
Dream as if you'll live forever
Live as if you'll die tomorrow
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

There's a fair few mentioned here ...
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

On my Amiga - before I got Frontier I used to play FOFT (Federation of Free Traders) - it was good - could land on planets and had dynamic markets (although this was a way to cheat once you had a big ship with lots of cargo space - you bought all the stock of one item and waited a few seconds - the price went up by a small fraction - so you sold everything back and crashed the market... you can guess what you did next). The game also had bizarrely its own in-built programming language - so you could write your own apps inside foft during the lengthy fly-in sequence...

Multiple Classical pieces to chose from while docking I also seem to recall.
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here