A wee "little" problem with some OXPs

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Sarin
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

A wee "little" problem with some OXPs

Post by Sarin »

well...got bored at school so I decided to install Oolite on my flash disk. Everything went fine, until I decided to install some OXPs (by some I mean a few dozen). I downloaded them all fine, but when extracting some of them into Addon folder, I got message "Unable to find file specified". At first I though it's corrupted download, fine. Redownloaded...again. Took some poking around and discovered something. Those that were unable to copy had in their folder files with 0 kb size with exact same names as folders included (AI, Config, etc..).
Now the question is: I can copy them into Addon folder without these, but will they work ok? And whatta hell are those files?
Oh, I should've specified running WinXP, limited rights (school comp).
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

Some OXPs won't unzip properly with the standard windows unzip. If you google 7Zip (free) that'll unzip 'em.
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
Sarin
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Sarin »

apparently, you're correct about the problem...works now, thanks.

Damn you, WinDoom!
Capt. Slog
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Capt. Slog »

Sarin wrote:
apparently, you're correct about the problem...works now, thanks.

Damn you, WinDoom!
Windoze didn't work? Call Bill now!
Cmd. Cheyd
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Deep Horizon Industries Manufacturing & Research Site somewhere in G8...

Post by Cmd. Cheyd »

As debated previously in another thread - The built-in compression tool in XP/03/Vista DOES work correctly. It will unzip the file, it just requires some manual intervention. The logic and exception handling needed to remove that manual intervention can't be added because there are already third-party products competing in that space. Therefore Microsoft is barred from expanding the in-built tools into that space as it would be 'leveraging their OS monopoly'.

If you want to blame someone, blame:
Netscape
Sun
Apple
Real
FSF
The US Department of (Politically-Bought-and-Paid-For) Justice
etc, etc, etc...