Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

FrankenHUD

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Screet »

Hmmm.

Could it be that you use some incompatible format? Some systems do use CR or LF, others CR and LF.

Looking at your quoted code, it even appears to consist of two different encoding versions, thus resulting both in normal and double line feeds.

Screet
punkbohemian
Competent
Competent

Post by punkbohemian »

Looking at your quoted code, it even appears to consist of two different encoding versions, thus resulting both in normal and double line feeds.
There's a perfectly good reason for that, and that is my laziness. :D Well, sorta. I copied and pasted the code right over. Normally, I might type it out, but my text editor has a syntax highlight mode. If the character encoding was unrecognized, then it would be indicated by the text editor. Still, maybe I should look a little deeper into that. I did think the paste job (here) was a little strange...
punkbohemian
Competent
Competent

Post by punkbohemian »

edit:

Weird. It didn't work. I've started and quit the game a few times since. I started it again just now and it suddenly started working. I didn't do anything different, not even a shift-click when I started...

Ok...last little tweak. The bars are a little too conspicuous. Is there any way to fade them at bit? Thanks.
Last edited by punkbohemian on Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Screet »

punkbohemian wrote:
There's a perfectly good reason for that, and that is my laziness. :D Well, sorta. I copied and pasted the code right over. Normally, I might type it out, but my text editor has a syntax highlight mode. If the character encoding was unrecognized, then it would be indicated by the text editor. Still, maybe I should look a little deeper into that. I did think the paste job (here) was a little strange...
It might still be the case that your editor supports multiple modes for switching to a new line, including one that is not supported by Oolite. Syntax Highlighting won't help there, you would need to show all characters, including those which usually are not visible (CR/LF). However, it surely could be just a different problem.

Screet
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

punkbohemian wrote:
I didn't do anything different, not even a shift-click when I started..
Shift-click?

Are you sure you're doing that right? To get Oolite to re-read it's oxp config files, you need to keep the shift key held down throughout the startup sequence.. from clicking the icon until the Cobby 3 starts rotating on-screen...
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
punkbohemian
Competent
Competent

Post by punkbohemian »

Shift-click? Are you sure you're doing that right?
Apparently, no. I thought it was kinda strange that gnome would have that kind of function built in. Anyway, I did a little more editing to the shield bars. I couldn't figure out how to fade them, but I made them thinner so they're not really an obstruction anymore.

Thanks to everyone for their help. :)

Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Lookin' good! 8)

Well, that explains why you had trouble getting your changes to take sometimes.. :lol:

And I see you've picked up a furry friend on your travels! :lol: has he managed to be in a really inconvenient spot during combat yet?
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
punkbohemian
Competent
Competent

Post by punkbohemian »

And I see you've picked up a furry friend on your travels! :lol: has he managed to be in a really inconvenient spot during combat yet?
Yeah, he's really managed to annoy the crap out of me. I tried frying him (via sun and atmosphere), but I either blew myself up or it just didn't work.

Anyway, I ended up starting a new game anyway. I sorta cheated on that one. I got bored of doing milk runs, so I hacked myself a couple hundred thousand credits (well, 2mil, actually) and got myself a totally tricked out Tiger and started raising hell around the galaxy. However, the guilt eventually caught up with me. :P
Capt. Slog
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Capt. Slog »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
Cool!

If I had time - I would have the Trunk installed...
Doesn't take too much time, does it? Just wish I knew somewhere that referred to any problems or OXP compatiblity issues.
Cmdr James
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Cmdr James »

Please do not install trunk for playing, as it isnt a stable release, in fact it isnt even a test release. If the dev team believed trunk to be a good version to play, it would be released as 1.73

There are some cool features in trunk, but they arent ready yet. Things will not work as expected, and will change without notice. Crashes should be expected. You will also get limited support, as its incredibly hard to track down bugs against an unknown version. Trunk changes at a fast rate, so it is extremely difficult to identify which specific version you have.

The only people who should be using trunk are the dev team (that is what they are developing), testers, and people working on OXPs that wish to check compatability, or to implement things using new features. If anyone wants to set up a trunk version to test or whatever, then thats great, please do. But please do not compile it yourself and expect it to be playable.
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

And if you are using a self-compiled trunk and you hit and report problems with OXPs, please remember to add that you are using trunk when you make your reports.

There's nothing more frustrating than trying to debug an OXP only to find that it's actually a glitch in the trunk code (which has happened more than once to my personal knowledge).