What next?

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Rustybolts
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

What next?

Post by Rustybolts »

http://www.mediafire.com/?tnmzw3tdmyu (image)
http://www.mediafire.com/?dtuzjdktmjj (wings3d model)
I have created this model in wings3d, how do i go about converting to dat for oolite using xp do i need to install python? (now installed)
TY
Last edited by Rustybolts on Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rustybolts
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Rustybolts »

So far i've installed python and downloaded the script for converting to dat located on a tutorial for making a flying brick. Still unsure what to do with script. I am placing my wings creation onto script which is now producing a dat file 0k in size.
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

What OS are you using?

Can't comment on the others, but if it's Windows then open a DOS prompt (not a Python prompt), move to the directory where everything is and then type

obj2dat.py <myshipfile>.obj

replacing <myshipfile> with your filename. That should generate your dat file. Also remember that you need both the .obj and .mtl file. It's always useful to keep the texture file in the same place too for completeness.

PS also make sure you're using Python 2.x, not 3.x or else the scripts won't work properly.
Rustybolts
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Rustybolts »

Thanks for reply im using xp i will try your suggestions tomorrow.
Rustybolts
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Rustybolts »

Thargoid wrote:
What OS are you using?

Can't comment on the others, but if it's Windows then open a DOS prompt (not a Python prompt), move to the directory where everything is and then type

obj2dat.py <myshipfile>.obj

replacing <myshipfile> with your filename. That should generate your dat file. Also remember that you need both the .obj and .mtl file. It's always useful to keep the texture file in the same place too for completeness.

PS also make sure you're using Python 2.x, not 3.x or else the scripts won't work properly.
Thanks a lot worked first time so i have the dat file, now all i need to do is work out all this plist stuff :? wish me luck!

Update! ive edited someone elses shipdata.plist and have now seen my ship flying sideways and texture less. I have since found out my texture had to be in png format and not bmp, so i have edited the model dat file in notepad so it tells it to look for my texture in png format. I have saved my texture as a png. Hope this works. As for the model flying sideways do i just spin model around in wings?
Capt. Slog
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Capt. Slog »

It should fly along the z axis.
Rustybolts
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Rustybolts »

Thanks for all your help
I have now completed my addon for my St model located here if your interested.
http://www.mediafire.com/?zymmal2bynd

Unsure of the exhaust position yet haven't seen it flying yet.