Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

a small suggestion for the short range + com. market screens

An area for discussing new ideas and additions to Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

punkbohemian
Competent
Competent

a small suggestion for the short range + com. market screens

Post by punkbohemian »

I recently found out that pressing "i" while on the short range chart replaces names with icons for what they produce, although some just show numbers. What would be a nice touch would be:

a) have icons for everything
b) show icons for what they are the top producers and also what they need the most
c) differentiate the two, maybe make production icons green and "need" icons red?
d) display these icons next to their names on the commodities menu, because I can't figure out what some of them mean. For example, one is a star on top of a triangle (textiles?). There are two that are robotics and machinery (I'm guessing?), but I'm not really sure which is which. There's also a castle, and a "C" with a couple lines through it. Anyway, some clarification would be helpful.
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: a small suggestion for the short range + com. market scr

Post by Screet »

punkbohemian wrote:
I recently found out that pressing "i" while on the short range chart replaces names with icons for what they produce, although some just show numbers. What would be a nice touch would be:
The numbers and Icons are always there.
First Icon: Production type of the world (agricultural, industrial and the depth of those)
Second Icon: Government type
Number: Tech-Level
punkbohemian wrote:
a) have icons for everything
b) show icons for what they are the top producers and also what they need the most
c) differentiate the two, maybe make production icons green and "need" icons red?
Both already is in. Agricultural worlds need tech goods, tech worlds need agricultural goods. The Icons also represent how good the world is at producing it's own goods. This also affects the prices paid when buying what they need to import.

Concerning your other observation, either I cannot match your descriptions to the icons or you did install an OXP which does change them.

Maybe you should also have a look at this thread:
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?t= ... &start=120

New suggestion: Make the Oolite RS and Advice for new Commanders thread sticky

Screet
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

Screet wrote:
Even better: The new RS and Advice for New Commanders will be distributed with the next release of Oolite as part of the standard installation.
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Screet »

another_commander wrote:
Screet wrote:
Even better: The new RS and Advice for New Commanders will be distributed with the next release of Oolite as part of the standard installation.
Ain't it time for that release? The only problem I know of is L's crash with the dredgers, which apparantly only happens on his system. For me, Oolite is currently 100% crash free since the fixing of the exception causing bugs and it's new features are very nice.

Screet
Nemoricus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Nemoricus »

Sounds excellent. I can't wait for it to be released.

Anything for OXP makers to be aware of?
Dream as if you'll live forever
Live as if you'll die tomorrow
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

We are close, but not quite there yet. There are some other issues ranging from very minor to somewhat annoying (see for example SVN2197 for a minor one that just got corrected), plus documentation upgrades and of course, getting the release technicians to become available. The RTs for both Mac and Linux are currently away and we need to have everyone ready before we give the green light to launch. A little more patience and it will be out soon.
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Screet »

Nemoricus wrote:
Sounds excellent. I can't wait for it to be released.

Anything for OXP makers to be aware of?
As far as I can see yet, it's delivering many warning messages about functions which may not be supported anymore in the future, but which are still functional in the current trunk build. Typically it's for functions which have been renamed for consistency, so it would even be easy to get rid of the warnings.

Screet