Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Random Hits OXP

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

Marshal is a higher rank than Provost. But as you have only just had the promotion you as still inexperiened in your new rank. :wink: . You can exit the board directly from the screen where you accept the mission. The option to return was orginaly put in to make it easier to playtest the random generator. You can flip through the adds again if you like, but you can't take two at the same time.
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
Nemoricus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Nemoricus »

Ah, that makes sense. They now consider me an exceptional Marshal, so all's well and good.
Dream as if you'll live forever
Live as if you'll die tomorrow
Capt. Slog
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Capt. Slog »

SUBJECT :mission_random_hits_assassination_board_subject

I get the above on the Mission Information (offering) screen . OS is Vista. :roll:

Also some strange looking fields on the bar bill screen.
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

Both are expected.

The Subject showing a variable in Galaxies 5 to 8 is because there is no code yet to calculate the position of the Mark's System for these Galaxies. ATM its only done for Galaxies 1 - 4. If you are in Gs 1 to 4 the subject will say somthing like "Removal Job (North West Sector)" so you know where the victim's system is before you accept a mission. But as there is no code to set the Sector yet for G 5 to 8, here you just get the undefined variable displayed.

The variables on the bar bill screen show the states of various variables that are keeping track of how the criminal communitiy views you and the chances of special missions being generated. Certain activities (such as completing missions) can raise your criminal hatred score and others (like shooting down fellow bounty hunters) lower it.

For a final version the code will translate the variables to a comment, so that line will read "The interplantery triads regard you as a minor annoyance" / "Crime Lords consider that you are a real pain in the ass" etc. ATM though you just get the variables as there is no code to translate them into a comment.

One thing I need to playtest is exactly what sort of score should trigger special events (Assassins comming after you, being asked to join an NPC hunter patrol etc). Could players keep an eye on their hatred score. What sort of number are you getting when you do back to back missions / occassionaly do a mission / never take missions.

ATM score is reduced by 1 point on every jump. Docking at bars increases it by 1 to 3. Accepting missions also increases it as does completing missions. I need to play around with the numbers so that regular hunters will hover around a certain value, occasioanl hunters another and those who never or rarely take missions hover around another. The chance of events happening can then set to occour only in this range (or made most likley in this range), so the Universe is reacting to what you do.

The current version of RH only has two special missions / events activated, but I'll be adding about 6 types for the final version. Although showing the variables on the Bar Bill Screen breaks the immersion a bit, this is now the only place in the OXP where you see raw data. If you hit a bug could you pull in at a Bar and take a screenie of your bar bill screen? That way I'll know what all the variables are reading so it'll be easier to track down.
Last edited by LittleBear on Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

LittleBear wrote:
Both are expected. The Subject showing a variable in Galaxies 5 to 8 is because there is no code yet to calculate the position of the Mark's System for these Galaxies. ATM its only done for Galaxies 1 - 4. If you are in Gs 1 to 4 the subject will say somthing like "Removal Job (North West Sector)" so you know where the victim's system is before you accept a mission.
Or for a more accurate location, have one of my handy dandy maps sitting on a pdf and switch between the two! :)
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

LB... paragraphs, please.. :wink:

Edit: Thanks! mucho more readable! 8)
Last edited by Diziet Sma on Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Capt. Slog
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Capt. Slog »

My impression was that the second screen I mentioned had variable names instead of values.
Capt. Slog
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Capt. Slog »

ClymAngus wrote:
Or for a more accurate location, have one of my handy dandy maps sitting on a pdf and switch between the two! :)
Do you have maps with planet names on or would I have to screw up my ancient eyes and squint at tiny numbers?
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by LittleBear »

If a variable is undefined then you see its name rather than its value on this screen. For example the "Revenge Jump" variable refers to the number of jumps your pusuers have made on an intercept route towards you. This is only defined when ships are actually after you. So if they are no ships after you then you get "Revenge Jumps : [variable name]" rather than "Revenge Jumps : [variable number]". (Pragarpahed last post!).
Nemoricus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Nemoricus »

Capt. Slog wrote:
ClymAngus wrote:
Do you have maps with planet names on or would I have to screw up my ancient eyes and squint at tiny numbers?
ClymAngus has made some wonderful maps here. They're only done through Galaxy 2, but they are very good and very useful. No squinting necessary. They're several feet along both dimensions, so you can zoom right in for a good look.

I haven't spotted any other problems yet, LittleBear. This is a very good improvement to an already excellent OXP. Keep it up.
Dream as if you'll live forever
Live as if you'll die tomorrow
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Screet »

Hmmm...just had my first meal at a space bar since the update.

It might have been from some other mission, however, upon docking there was still the screen of a gun and nothing happened. Typical situation when an oxp tries to show a mission screen but fails to do so.

Then my ears had some trouble. Is there a way to adjust the volume of this ring-sound? ;)

When I clicked everything away, I noticed that I could no longer sell goods at the space bar, only buy them. Is that intentional? I thought they should act similar to the normal station, thus also allow to sell goods?

Screet
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Screet »

Did want to refuel...and had to launch immediately to protect the bar from criminals.

Interestingly, after firing at them for about 2 seconds, most of them simply jumped away.

Other criminals ships simply did explode without any visible fire or missiles after them.

Every few seconds the description of what sort of criminals are detected changed completely, as if they had been replaced with an entirely new gang.

Most of the criminals and a few trackers did have %X in their name.

After docking, there appeared something, most probably a gravestone. However, it was rotating in a way that it never was possible to read the inscription.

Screet
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by LittleBear »

Are you on the trunk build? My suspicion is that these are due to code change names. I've only tested on 1.72.2 and the OXP is written to work on 1.72.2. The not being able to buy anything at the bar could be trunk build bug maybe, as I can buy on 1.72.2. For some reason you are not getting the mission text displayed, but are getting the object. Which seem pretty odd. Could you give it a check on 1.72.2?
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Screet »

LittleBear wrote:
Are you on the trunk build? My suspicion is that these are due to code change names. I've only tested on 1.72.2 and the OXP is written to work on 1.72.2. The not being able to buy anything at the bar could be trunk build bug maybe, as I can buy on 1.72.2. For some reason you are not getting the mission text displayed, but are getting the object. Which seem pretty odd. Could you give it a check on 1.72.2?
Yes, I'm using the trunk version. However, you misread it: I can buy, but I can only sell what I bought, but nothing from my cargo hold. It's a space bar only problem.

The missing mission text might be from another oxp - sorry if that was not clear. After that I did get the welcome to the new mission system, which I presume is the first thing that would be shown by RH.

Trying it also with 1.72.2 can be done, but it's a little bit difficult, as I'd have to uninstall the trunk build, install 1.72.2 and then back again...I haven't yet figured out how to install two versions of oolite. Since I cannot build on this system, I have to rely on those installers :(

Screet
Capt. Slog
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Capt. Slog »

Screet wrote:

Every few seconds the description of what sort of criminals are detected changed completely, as if they had been replaced with an entirely new gang.

After docking, there appeared something, most probably a gravestone. However, it was rotating in a way that it never was possible to read the inscription.

Screet
I noticed similar behaviour. And Commander Screet was probably correct about the gravestone, I saw one shortly after encountering him in Galaxy 7. Sadly he has been renewed on the Carousel. In memorium, it read.