Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

cannot copy and paste keyconfig.plist

For discussion of ports to POSIX based systems, especially using GNUStep.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

punkbohemian
Competent
Competent

cannot copy and paste keyconfig.plist

Post by punkbohemian »

So, I managed to find the keyconfig.plist file and I tried to c/p the file to the AddOns folder. I supposedly can copy it, but it won't paste. Do I need to somehow change the permissions on that folder, or do some kind of sudo c/p command in the terminal? Thanks.

edit: wtg me...I managed to get an error message this time. Maybe it'll help

Error stating file '/proc/10598/cwd/oolite.app/Resources/Config/keyconfig.plist': No such file or directory

which is an odd error since I can see that actual file in that actual directory.
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Open the original in a suitable text editor and then "save as" (or equivalent) to make a new copy in the correct place?

Also I think the wiki may be slightly wrong, on my system my personally configured keyconfig.plist resides in a Config folder under the AddOns directory rather than in the directory itself. Although it may be that it will work either way of course...
punkbohemian
Competent
Competent

Post by punkbohemian »

Just tried it. Apparently, I do not have permission to save to that folder. I'm still a little new with Linux/Ubuntu, so I'm not 100% sure how to change permissions and there's some kind of "sudo save as" function, I don't know about it.
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

punkbohemian wrote:
Just tried it. Apparently, I do not have permission to save to that folder. I'm still a little new with Linux/Ubuntu, so I'm not 100% sure how to change permissions and there's some kind of "sudo save as" function, I don't know about it.
I'm not on my Ubuntu machine but from memory - run a terminal, cd to the directory ABOVE the one you want to be in, then do something like:

Code: Select all

sudo chmod u+w ./<name of the directory>
this should prompt you for your password and then will add write permission to the user (i.e. you) of the directory.

in fact if you do a

Code: Select all

ls -la
in the directory of the one you're trying to write in you'll see what the permissions for all the files and the directory are already - which may help (or it may not!!)
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
punkbohemian
Competent
Competent

Post by punkbohemian »

did it, but it still won't let me save/paste. ls -la of addons (after that sudo command) gives me this:

drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 2009-06-04 16:35 .
drwxr-xr-x 6 root root 4096 2009-06-04 16:35 ..
punkbohemian
Competent
Competent

Post by punkbohemian »

Ok, i got it working. it required chown, not chmod. Thanks for the help. :)
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Yup, after I could see from your ls -la that root was the owner of the file - I would have suggested a 'chown' (or you could have done chmod o+w) which would have given "other" (i.e. you) write permission.

Not sure which is safer though - changing ownership away from root is proably the best bet, which you have done.
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
_ds_
Deadly
Deadly

Re: cannot copy and paste keyconfig.plist

Post by _ds_ »

punkbohemian wrote:
So, I managed to find the keyconfig.plist file and I tried to c/p the file to the AddOns folder. I supposedly can copy it, but it won't paste.
A file which can paste things? Something's not right there…
[…]
Error stating file '/proc/10598/cwd/oolite.app/Resources/Config/keyconfig.plist': No such file or directory

which is an odd error since I can see that actual file in that actual directory.
Process 10598 has either changed its current directory or it has been terminated. That you can ‘see’ the directory contents is neither here nor there; it's stale information.

(Hint: ~/.Oolite/AddOns/Config)
http://tartarus.org/~ds/oolite/patches, Buzzer OXP etc.