1.72.2-test-for pc-stuck on startup screen sillouette Cobra

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

moscom
Above Average
Above Average

1.72.2-test-for pc-stuck on startup screen sillouette Cobra

Post by moscom »

I have just downloaded test version 1.72.2 for pc .
Running on a :
1.6 Ghtz
pentium 4
Win xp pro
ATI Rage ProII AGP

I have an opening screen with a spinning mk3 cobra , and control panel - but nothing else, and the cobra is a spinning white sillouette.
I have followed the instructions in the Readme file, which suggested editing the " .GNUstepDefault" file , which i have done - using both of the example scripts- but with no joy.

This is a sceen shot if it helps, one click to enlarge :) : http://michaelosullivan.deviantart.com/ ... -124127478
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Another victim of ATI?

First question, are your graphics drivers up to date?
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

ATI Rage ProII. This is the problem. I believe this card is too old. We can confirm that if you post the contents of the file Latest.log, found inside the Logs folder of the oolite.app directory. I don't really think that the minimum required OpenGL version is supported.
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Screet »

another_commander wrote:
ATI Rage ProII. This is the problem. I believe this card is too old. We can confirm that if you post the contents of the file Latest.log, found inside the Logs folder of the oolite.app directory. I don't really think that the minimum required OpenGL version is supported.
I think so, too. The image is just the same as the OpenGL-wrappers for DirectX create, because they are insufficient concerning OpenGL capabilities.

However, moscom, should you ever think about updating your card, read this thread first: https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?t=5665
...and there were many other OpenGL rendering bugs when I did run Oolite with X800XTPE and 4870x2 cards from ATI. All problems are gone since I switched to nVidia.

Screet
moscom
Above Average
Above Average

Post by moscom »

I thought someone might say that-but thanks :D driver update did the trick 8) Yeehaah! :lol:

yes its very unresponsive, but still fun-this version feels great ( i mean looks great 8) ) i am happy :D
moscom
Above Average
Above Average

Post by moscom »

Thanks. An interesting read. :) I have a better idea of what graphics card to upgrade to-hopefully. 8)
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Somebody had to fall back to a 128MB FX5200 card recently and you can pick them up for about £15. Infact you can pick up a 6200 for about £19!! and on a 128MB 6200 Oolite should work acceptably well and you'll have full shader support.
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
moscom
Above Average
Above Average

Post by moscom »

Thanks. 8)

Hey i have working now, i updated my graphics driver , as suggested, and its fine, and after playing with the settings-i have just lowerd the screen reolution to 800x600 and selected "reduced detail" mode- my Cobra is flying around like a dream :D . Hey i never noticed wireframe mode before-i never played Elite, first time round, so i will give the wireframe a go aswell - i cant exactly call it nostagia, i supose-maybe a Pilgrimage lol.

I' a happy bunny now anyway :)