help with compressed files (.zip)

Off topic discussion zone.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Cody

DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

help with compressed files (.zip)

Post by DaddyHoggy »

I've just downloaded a large video from the NATO website - it comes as a single .zip plus five files named filename.z01, filename.z02, filename.z03, filename.z04, filename.z05

Each of the z0X files is 32,000KB with the zip file being 23100KB, apparently, according to the admin of the NATO site - I put them all in the same directory extract the .zip file and it automagically extracts the whole file from the z0X files.

However, I've tried the native XP extractor (ho-ho), 7-zip, free-zip (doesn't do spanned archives), and Winzip12.1 Evaluation and none of them will actually extract the file content - the closest I've got is Winzip12 which actually tells me what's in the archive and why it can't extract it:

Code: Select all

Extracting to "C:\Documents and Settings\jhoggard.cu\Desktop\"
Use Path: yes   Overlay Files: no
Warning: skipping "ctsinsurgent.wmv". The general purpose flags stored in the local header for this file are not the same as the general purpose flags stored in the central header
Can anybody suggest another extractor/unzipper that runs under XP and is free that might actually do this!!!?

TIA

DH
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: help with compressed files (.zip)

Post by Screet »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
Can anybody suggest another extractor/unzipper that runs under XP and is free that might actually do this!!!?
IIRC stuffit expander had such functionality.

Screet
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

WinRAR may be worth a shot too... It's always been more capable than winzip, IMO..
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

SOLVED!

Asked the NATO guy what he used to archive the files and he said powerarchiver2007 so I've downloaded a 30-day shareware version and hey-presto files extract!

Not overly impressed that he seems to have created an archive that can be acted upon by relatively few extraction tools

However, I will give both alternatives a go as this is only a 30-day shareware version and I may need to do this again.
Selezen wrote:
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

You were looking for compatability from NATO? :shock: :twisted: :wink:
Squeek
Competent
Competent

Post by Squeek »

WinAce has an evaluation period, but I've used it for about a year and all it does is say the evaluation period is over and then opens the file. Then it does exactly what I want it to do: extracts files.

Google "Winace".
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Squeek wrote:
WinAce has an evaluation period, but I've used it for about a year and all it does is say the evaluation period is over and then opens the file. Then it does exactly what I want it to do: extracts files.

Google "Winace".
As does WinRAR...
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Problem with all these evaluation period sharewares that don't actually stop working is that we're not allowed to use them on our work machines for that very reason. My University self audits all the software installed on all of its machines (its part of the boot sequence) and we get into big trouble for not registering and paying for approved shareware - and since I have no budget for paying for Shareware I'm not allowed to use it. The difference for Powerarchiver2007 is that is stops working after 30 days, so I'm in the clear.
Selezen wrote: