Tweaking OXPs

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

How often do you make adjustments to the OXPs that you use?

Never.
16%
Sometimes.
74%
Often.
5%
All the time.
5%

Total votes: 19

Nemoricus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Tweaking OXPs

Post by Nemoricus »

I've been looking through the OXPs that I use, making a few small changes, and wondering if others do the same?

It's interesting to look through the OXPs and see how they work. Currently I'm trying to find how the Advanced Space Compass markers are added so that I can change those, make things a bit more straightforward with regards to factories, Fuel Stations, and Fuel Satellites. I've already increased the refueling rate a bit to suit my preferences.

What kind of changes do you make?
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Tweaking OXPs

Post by Screet »

Nemoricus wrote:
What kind of changes do you make?
Hmmmm....

1) Changing a larger ships specs to those of the Merlin because I thought it was too tiny and thus like cheating to fly one. Turned out to be true.
2) One OXP did remove certain equipment even when the oxp was not active - changed that so that the eq was only removed while the oxp was active.
3) Changed AMS to include auto-ECM and auto-Chaff

plus a few minor fixes and disabling of very memory heavy ships inside an oxp.

Screet
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

@Nemoricus:

Very rarely.

It all boils down to me searching for some ship or station mission-wise that has no identifier or description of how to find it at all - after ten unsuccessful attempts or so to find something I sometimes give it a beacon to be able to finish the mission.

Otherwise, never. I take them as they come. I also once (only this once) manipulated my standard savegame to resurrect my dying pet trumble (I still have it :P )

@Screet:

<thread derailing>
Changed AMS to include auto-ECM and auto-Chaff
If you tell/PM/email me how you did it, I am as already said more than happy to include a new equipment item (say, the Naval ECM :wink: ) into OSE and you have all options there without further meddling - I would also like this in my game :)

</thread derailing>

Cheers

L
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

The compass thing should improve in 1.73 (iirc) as it should then be possible to use custom icons (like on the missiles/mines) for compass identities too, rather than just letters and a few symbols.

The fuel stations and satellites already have this feature in for the next release, although I don't think the one currently available has it yet.
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Sometimes I fiddle with YAH, or Griff/Ahruman's tech demonstrators (which usually results in them no longer working!)
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

I've hacked stuff before, mainly missions, keeping note of the original settings. Then hacked them back slowly again to default as I feel for the right way of doing things.

I'm still of the mind that hacking is a viable game tactic, as it relies on the whit and skill of the player. I think posting hacked oxp's is a bit rude however unless you have a dialogue with the maker first. But that's just good manners.
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

ClymAngus wrote:
I've hacked stuff before, mainly missions, keeping note of the original settings. Then hacked them back slowly again to default as I feel for the right way of doing things.

I'm still of the mind that hacking is a viable game tactic, as it relies on the whit and skill of the player. I think posting hacked oxp's is a bit rude however unless you have a dialogue with the maker first. But that's just good manners.
Ah, the Kobiashi Maru principle... :wink:
Selezen wrote:
Nemoricus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Nemoricus »

Thargoid wrote:
The compass thing should improve in 1.73 (iirc) as it should then be possible to use custom icons (like on the missiles/mines) for compass identities too, rather than just letters and a few symbols.

The fuel stations and satellites already have this feature in for the next release, although I don't think the one currently available has it yet.
That sounds good, but until 1.73 is released, I have to work with what's available. I'm surprised I haven't figured out how those markers are added yet. It's not like the Fuel Station OXP is that big.
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

In the shipdata.plist entry for the entity (ship or station or whatever) there's a key beacon, which has a string value (e.g for the fuel station it's beacon = "Fuel Station";. The first letter of that string is what is used for the ASC. If the key isn't present, the entity has no ASC entry.
Nemoricus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Nemoricus »

Thank you. I had just figured that out for myself (Oolite Wiki for the win!).

This tweaking stuff could get addicting. Hmm....
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

It's the way into the dark side... :twisted:

Before you know it you'll be writing them too from scratch, and from then on its all a slippery slope ;)
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

Guilty as charged. I tweak them to pieces.
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Wasn't there also in one of the threads somewhere a clever way of defining a symbol - didn't the Fuel Station get a "Fuel Pump" style symbol? Or have I completely mis-remembered?
Selezen wrote:
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
Wasn't there also in one of the threads somewhere a clever way of defining a symbol - didn't the Fuel Station get a "Fuel Pump" style symbol? Or have I completely mis-remembered?
That was using 1.73 code.
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

:oops: <Shuffles feet and wanders off whistling nonchantly>
Selezen wrote: