RFC: Fancy classics

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Simon B
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Simon B »

The idea is to give the player a chance to jump out on their own - and they may have fuel left but not enough to get to a star.

Of course - if player.ship.fuel=0 then the player certainly needs help. I still don't want help to show up right away.

Hmmm ... though it would make a way that a player in the know could trigger a rescue (exhaust fuel with injectors - available only after you're able to afford them and players without won't have the problem).

testing for thargoids present is a good idea. No thargoids and you don't get the navy - rescue ships would be asp explorer and cobra clipper sar. (small chance of a pirate "Oh look - helpless ship"?)

Now I need decent examples for learning from ... hints?

having the navy show up when thargoids are present looks really good - should be able to increase the number of thargoids if that happens too.

I've also been speculating on combining the behemoths and navy oxps - so complaints should be registered now. (And this will probably mean doing more thargoid models).
Simon Bridge
[re2dux] [neolite]
"Everything is perfect down to every last flaw..."
HBT: The Book of Verse - Principia Discordia
Nemoricus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Nemoricus »

If Aegidian and Matt634 have no problems with it, I think it's a good idea. Just check with the original authors first.
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Screet »

Simon B wrote:
I've also been speculating on combining the behemoths and navy oxps - so complaints should be registered now. (And this will probably mean doing more thargoid models).
More Thargs from you? GREAT! I *really* like those new Thargons!!!

Screet
Nemoricus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Nemoricus »

I just added Neolite to my Oolite install and I'm really impressed! Those new ship models and textures are just so cool.

Keep up the good work.

EDIT: However, there seems to be a problem. The exhaust trails aren't showing up from NPC Cobra Mk. IIIs.
Simon B
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Simon B »

Nemoricus wrote:
I just added Neolite to my Oolite install and I'm really impressed! Those new ship models and textures are just so cool.

Keep up the good work.
Welcome to the club - if you add the companion and megaships oxps from the same site, you'll have an internally consistent ooniverse with quite a lot of variation. The "concepts" oxp contains work-in-progress ships yet to find a formal place.

EDIT: However, there seems to be a problem. The exhaust trails aren't showing up from NPC Cobra Mk. IIIs.
My editor seems to have been inserting bogus characters into text files ... you con fix this without an additional download by erasing the "exhaust ={ blah blah blah };" part of the shipdata.plist (.Oolite/AddOns/neolite.oxp/Config/shipdata.plist) for cobra3-alternate, cobra3-pirate, and cobra3-trader. Copy and paste the identical lines from cobra3-player.

There is also a problem with the shaders not showing up in some ships - which is probably the same issue.

You'll also find incompatibilities with some other exps - read the readme fiiles for dotails - I need to know if you find any others.

Since you are quite new, you don't have the preconceptions of most commentators - can you let me know what you find and which oxps you are using - ta.
Simon Bridge
[re2dux] [neolite]
Nemoricus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Nemoricus »

That fix doesn't seem to work. I copied the player Cobra Mk. III exhaust data, starting at the parenthesis and ending at the semicolon.

Also, the Gecko's trails aren't showing either.

Aside from those two issues, I've had no problems whatsoever. It's all very fine work and helps pretty up Oolite.

As far as other OXPs I'm running, there's a shed-load of them. I'm surprised I haven't run into conflicts between any of them yet. They're all very well debugged as far as I can tell.
Simon B
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Simon B »

Nemoricus wrote:
That fix doesn't seem to work. I copied the player Cobra Mk. III exhaust data, starting at the parenthesis and ending at the semicolon.
Include the carriage return or newlie character or whatever it is in there too ... replacing mine did the trick.

Also, the Gecko's trails aren't showing either.
Thanks for that - if you look at the gecko entry, you'll see it has a pair of quotation marks missing in the middle.
Aside from those two issues, I've had no problems whatsoever. It's all very fine work and helps pretty up Oolite.
I may have to do a bugfix release - but those two are not too major - perhaps supply a replacement shipdata.plist in the concepts package.
As far as other OXPs I'm running, there's a shed-load of them. I'm surprised I haven't run into conflicts between any of them yet. They're all very well debugged as far as I can tell.
Presumably you're not running random hits then?

I have a mostly edited version which replaces the builtins with the neolite where there are dupes, and not just for the core set. Little Bear promises compatability in the next release.
Simon Bridge
[re2dux] [neolite]
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Simon B wrote:
My editor seems to have been inserting bogus characters into text files ... you con fix this without an additional download by erasing the "exhaust ={ blah blah blah };" part of the shipdata.plist (.Oolite/AddOns/neolite.oxp/Config/shipdata.plist) for cobra3-alternate, cobra3-pirate, and cobra3-trader. Copy and paste the identical lines from cobra3-player.
As a passing comment, if it's "exhaust = {blah blah blah};" in your plist, then that's your problem right there. It should be "exhaust = (blah blah blah);

{} are the braces for a dictionary. The entries for exhausts are in an array, signified by ().
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

Nemoricus wrote:
Oolite does not load all oxp's on every startup but caches things and loads the oxp dato from a cache to speedup the starting process. Only when oxp's are added or removed the cache is rebuild. This mechanism works perfect for normal users, but when users are fiddling with the internals of an oxp, Oolite does not recognise this as a new oxp and still loads the old data from the cache.

To force Oolite to rebuild the cache you must hold down the shift key during startup until you see the spinning cobra.
Nemoricus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Nemoricus »

Just goes to show how much I have to learn about running OXPs.

Yes, I am using Random Hits. Should there be a problem? I haven't noticed any so far.

Another thing, on some Coriolis Stations, every other square panel won't shade properly. It will go go from dark to light immediately.
Simon B
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Simon B »

Nemoricus wrote:
Just goes to show how much I have to learn about running OXPs.

Yes, I am using Random Hits. Should there be a problem? I haven't noticed any so far.

Another thing, on some Coriolis Stations, every other square panel won't shade properly. It will go go from dark to light immediately.
Yeah - I know about that one ... each of the outside faces uses the same skin - but every other face the skin is inverted, and I cannot change it without remapping the model.

The normal-maps (the bumps and ridges) are inverted on every other face too. Same problem. If you watch the faces which seem to switch on suddenly, you'll see that the surface changes it's relief too.
Simon Bridge
[re2dux] [neolite]
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

Random Hits (should) use the installed version for inbuilt ships. So if you have neo-oolite as your Core ships set then when a Random Hits Character is flying a core ship, it'll be the ships should be in neo-oolite style when a character in Random Hits is flying one of them, Dream Team Style if Dream Team is your Core version, Sung Style if Sung's Textures are your core ship set and so on. Works on my system anyway! :wink: . However, in the current version of random hits when a charcter is flying a non-core ship (eg the Monitor) the Characters in RH will still use the old version of the ship even if you have the neo-oolite version installed. All other Monitors in your game would be the neo-oolite version but not the ones generated by Random Hits. This is changed for 1.4 so RH automaticaly uses whatever ships-set you have installed, but in the current version although Charcaters in RH will fly whatever version of the Core Ships you have installed, they don't yet use the updated non-core ships. The OXP still works with neo-oolite, but the Random Hits characters won't yet fly non-core neo-oolite ships.
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
Simon B
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Simon B »

I should point out though that some of the RH core-ship marks (like the anaconda) use the core oolite model... at least in the clone entries - so the mark is displayed as the old anaconda.

Presumably this got checked and altered for the update.

I had lots of fun with some of the non-core models as I tried to replace them in RH. Just setting like_ship wasn't enough, I had to delete the models and some textures from RH too. (R comes after N ... so anything with duplicate names... Ahruman's told me off about this before.)
Simon Bridge
[re2dux] [neolite]
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

Basically what I've done for 1.4 is just include the Neo-Oolite models and textures for non-core neo-oolit ships in RH's OXP, but they have unique key names. So basically, if you didn't have neo-oolite installed RH would work without a dependancy, but if you don't then RH doesn't overwrite whatever version you are using. Unique keys are necessary for RH characters, as they need specific scripts attached to the right sort of piolt is put into the ship.
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Screet »

I haven't even noticed something being strange with RH and neolite. However, the big trading ships which are hunted by the black monks are always looking strange: They do use the basic model from Oolite plus the subentities of the neolite ships ;)

Screet