Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Giant coloured squares in space-ace-ace...

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

Goose
Poor
Poor

Giant coloured squares in space-ace-ace...

Post by Goose »

Hi guys,

I'm totally new to Oolite (looks like a brilliant conversion by the way!) so not sure if this is a known bug or just somehting unique to my system, but space in the game seems to be full of giant coloured squares and triangles- also the stars seem to be really 'blocky'. Tried to get a screenshot but it doesn't seem to want to paste into my MS-Paint. I've got a quad-core AMD system, 6GB memory and a 4850 ATI graphics card.

Any suggestions gratefully appreciated!

Cheers,
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

This is an ATI graphics driver bug. See this thread for details. If you are using the latest driver version, you may want to fall back to a previous one. If you are on Windows XP, the Omega Drivers might help.

The good news is that we expect to have this fixed for v1.73. On a separate note, you can take in-game screenshots by pressing Shift+8 (*). The screenshots are saved in the oolite-saves folder.
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Hi Goose welcome to the friendliest board this side of Riedquat (tm).

Lovely spec' machine - right up to the point where you said you had an ATi card.

I hope the alt. drivers work out for you - you will discover as many an ATi user has, that there are usually many other subtle things wrong with the way Oolite looks when running under ATi acceleration - you will be amazed how good it looks once you've got a good driver on the machine.
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Goose
Poor
Poor

Post by Goose »

Thanks for the tips guys, much appreciated!

Got to say, the game looks fantastic, even with the bug- can't wait for the next release!

Cheers
lfnfan
Deadly
Deadly

Post by lfnfan »

Any truth to this rumour? Would it help solve square nebulae, even if it were true...?

http://www.geeks3d.com/?p=4154#more-4154

http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums ... _id=537629 (refers to the above)

Nothing on the ATi site yet. A google of 'ati 9.6' brings up some ATi forum thread results that click through to an 'Error Code: 102 Sorry, we were unable to locate the object requested.' message....
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Screet »

lfnfan wrote:
Any truth to this rumour? Would it help solve square nebulae, even if it were true...?
The driver would need to provide a correct implementation of the texture_lod_bias implementation. However, it looks like there really have been some improvements, and maybe they did fix it while they did add the new functionality.

Interestingly, texture buffer size shows up. There were many complaints about that being set to 0 on previous versions. ATI said that this would not be required when people asked.

This looks promising. Maybe all the complaints finally got through to their dev team...

Screet
overmage
Deadly
Deadly

Post by overmage »

Hello and welcome to Oolite! :D

I had your problem, but then I compiled my own trunk (1.7.3) version and implemented the fix. Now I can't ever imagine going back to 1.72.2 again. :twisted:
Frame
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Frame »

That ATI beta driver still carries no support for my GFX card on Vista that is an

HIS HD2600XT., i still have to use those provided by HIS... and HIS has an amazingly slow download speed (20 kb/s) for the latest Driver...

I Suppose I could try and hack the inf file for Vista
Bounty Scanner
Number 935
Frame
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Frame »

hacked the inf file, and it installed smoothly...

Thats a first, and no bricks in space with 1.72.2...

so it seems they cracked it...

:D at last...

Now if they would be so kind and include the following line next time in the inf file

Code: Select all

"ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT AGP" = ati2mtag_RV630, PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_9586
send of the suggestion to ATI... but I bet... Noooo!!!!! ;-)
Bounty Scanner
Number 935
lfnfan
Deadly
Deadly

Post by lfnfan »

overmage, thanks for the welcome :)

Frame - thanks for the info - here's hoping it works on my HD4670. Really looking forward to this....
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Screet »

Frame wrote:

Is there a way to find out what is required to make the drivers accept my X800XTPE? That card is three years old and was the absolute top model of ATI at that time. All existing drivers suffer from the OpenGL bugs...and now that they managed to solve the most annoying bugs, they say I should buy a new card? That X800XTPE was faster than a 4870x2 concerning Oolite!!!

So, please, if you can help to modify the current drivers so that my building machine can run it's trunk builds properly, it would really help!

ATI? Never again!

Screet
lfnfan
Deadly
Deadly

Post by lfnfan »

The Catalyst 9.6 drivers... worked! The Ooniverse is indeed a pretty place!

I'm happy now.
Frame
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Frame »

Screet wrote:
Frame wrote:

Is there a way to find out what is required to make the drivers accept my X800XTPE? That card is three years old and was the absolute top model of ATI at that time. All existing drivers suffer from the OpenGL bugs...and now that they managed to solve the most annoying bugs, they say I should buy a new card? That X800XTPE was faster than a 4870x2 concerning Oolite!!!

So, please, if you can help to modify the current drivers so that my building machine can run it's trunk builds properly, it would really help!

ATI? Never again!

Screet
I can, but I need need a screen shot of your hardware properties like this...

Image..

I expect you know how to find this, however here comes a how to, in case you do not..

My computer->(default right click)Properties->device manager->graphic card->(default right click)properties->driver details...

select hardware ID (im guessing since I use a Danish version)

Preferably I Then

Need a link to a working driver, that will install and detect your graphic card.. IF availeble, then only the correct inf driver...

The exact name of your graphic card I think you wrote X800XTPE, I used to have a similar card... which is why im taking a shot at this... Mine was a X800XT Platinum Edition from HIS Platinum Edition = the PE..

I also need to know your Windows Version. XP/VISTA 32bit / 64 bit... I presume Vista, as I recall Catalyst used to work fine on XP

Provide me with this, and I'll take a shot at it...

Cheers Frame...
Bounty Scanner
Number 935