Does anyone remember "Big K" magazine?

Off topic discussion zone.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Cody

JohnnyBoy
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Does anyone remember "Big K" magazine?

Post by JohnnyBoy »

I'd like you to take a trip with me down amnesia lane...

In mid-1984, I gave some 'Matchbox' and 'Corgi' cars to a family friend who needed them for an educational project that he was working on. Knowing that I was about to buy my first home computer (I can still remember the smell of that rubber keyboard), this family friend bought me a computer magazine and a couple of C-15 cassettes as a 'thank you'. The magazine was issue number 2 of a title called 'Big K'.

I liked it and I continued to buy the monthly magazine until it folded a year after its first issue. The 11 copies that I'd bought were eventually pushed into the loft and forgotten about. I don't know what eventually happened to them. I moved out, and my father moved house, and I would guess that they were disposed of.

Then, a couple of years ago, I remembered those old magazines and wondered if there were any old copies floating around on eBay for a pound or two. Didn't find any. Kept Googling, and discovered that they were considered rather rare and valuable. In fact, they were changing hands for about £50 per magazine.

The 3 stages of my face as I discovered this: :| :shock: :cry:

Anyway, I wasn't looking for them to see how much they would have been worth if I'd kept them. I just wanted a nostalgic flick through to see all the stuff that I used to pore over.

For some unknown reason, I tried googling "Big K" again the other night, and guess what? Some wonderful soul has slapped their own collection of Big K magazines onto the scanner and uploaded the jpegs onto the information super-traffic-jam! Yipee!!! So if you also remember Big K, or just want to travel back to 1984, here's the links...

Issue 1:
http://www.zzap64.co.uk/cgi-bin/display ... igk&page=1

Issue 2:

Issue 3:

(You don't have to be Sherlock Holmes to work out what to change in the URL to get each issue and page number...)
"That's no vicious Treeoid. That's my wife."
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Honestly don't remember it! I had Zzap 64 from issue 3 onwards and the first ever Commodore User is in my parent's loft somewhere...

Will have a look! Thanks for the links.
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
JohnnyBoy
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JohnnyBoy »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
Honestly don't remember it! I had Zzap 64 from issue 3 onwards and the first ever Commodore User is in my parent's loft somewhere...
Don't worry DH, not many do! Like I say, it only lasted for 12 issues before folding. I liked it because it wasn't machine-specific, which 25 years later is great because it gives a fantastic overview of the whole "scene" back then.
DaddyHoggy wrote:
Will have a look! Thanks for the links.
You're welcome, DH!

As I was looking through some of the scanned pages, the name "Tony Tyler" kept popping up. Tony Tyler, Tony Tyler.... sounded strangely familiar.... so I checked Wikipedia. Of course it sounds familiar. Tony Tyler was a regular contributor to MacUser before his death in 2006. Never knew that he was the guy behind Big K though. We live and learn.
JohnnyBoy
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JohnnyBoy »

Okay, I just want to show you guys one leeetle page that brought a lump to my throat and a tear to my eye...

In the days before aggressive marketing and PC World, a computer shop looked like this...

http://www.zzap64.co.uk/cgi-bin/display ... azine=bigk
Azathoth
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Azathoth »

JohnnyBoy wrote:
Okay, I just want to show you guys one leeetle page that brought a lump to my throat and a tear to my eye...

In the days before aggressive marketing and PC World, a computer shop looked like this...

Great picture. Those were the days.

I remember having lots of fun going into high street stores, strolling up to some computer on display and typing:

10 print “this shop is rubbish”
20 goto 10
run

Then I’d run away giggling thinking I’m a comic(and computer) genius. :D :oops:
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

JohnnyBoy wrote:

Cool - even my local Boots looked like that at one point in the early 1980s! Oh, happy days.
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

I remember big K! well i think i do, is there a fashion feature or something in issue 1, with crazy black & white clothes?
Incidently, i think that website with the scans on is run by a chap called 'mort' who posts here sometimes, a while back i bought their Computer & Videogames dvd, still haven't got around to reading it all but there're something mad like 200 issues on it or something - wonder how long that took to scan!
JohnnyBoy
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JohnnyBoy »

Azathoth wrote:
I remember having lots of fun going into high street stores, strolling up to some computer on display and typing:

20 goto 10
run

Yep, me too -- although it was usually something like "John is cool". Then, just as I was leaving the shop, I'd see a spotty teenage shop assistant go up to the machine, hit the 'break' key and clear the screen, probably for the umpteenth time that Saturday morning... :roll:
JohnnyBoy
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JohnnyBoy »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
Cool - even my local Boots looked like that at one point in the early 1980s! Oh, happy days.
Oh, Boots had the whole range -- Speccy, C64, CPC464, Electron, Oric Atmos -- and a good selection of horrendously overpriced printers.
JohnnyBoy
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JohnnyBoy »

Griff wrote:
I remember big K! well i think i do, is there a fashion feature or something in issue 1, with crazy black & white clothes?
Hmmm, not sure about that one, Griff. I think you may be getting confused with some publication aimed at "new romantics"....

Griff wrote:
...but there're something mad like 200 issues on it or something - wonder how long that took to scan!
Indeed. The guy's a star!
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

Azathoth wrote:

20 goto 10
run

I used to do the same with

10 Print "Hughesy was here ";
20 Goto 10
RUN

on all the computers in Dixons. Then, 10 years later I got a job with the Dixons call centre and the thought did go through my head "Ooh, I wonder if they will remember..."

The fact that the two locations are 300 miles apart didn't occur to me...
JohnnyBoy
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JohnnyBoy »

Selezen wrote:

Selezen, that little semi-colon at the end would have made much better use of a VDU's screen... ;)
Azathoth
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Azathoth »

JohnnyBoy wrote:
Selezen wrote:

Selezen, that little semi-colon at the end would have made much better use of a VDU's screen... ;)
Yeh, I forgot about that. That’s really needed for onscreen chaos. Funny how my programming skills haven’t progressed one bit since those days. :( Perhaps we were the original computer spammers? 8)
Captain Hesperus
Grand High Clock-Tower Poobah
Grand High Clock-Tower Poobah

Post by Captain Hesperus »

Azathoth wrote:
Perhaps we were the original computer spammers? 8)
<quietly reaches for Barrett Light .50 sniping rifle, ammunition and keys to the clock tower>

Captain Hesperus
The truth, revealed!!
FSOneblin
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by FSOneblin »

Captain Hesperus wrote:
Azathoth wrote:
Perhaps we were the original computer spammers? 8)
<quietly reaches for Barrett Light .50 sniping rifle, ammunition and keys to the clock tower>

Captain Hesperus

Ssssooooo hungry <Eats brain>. This post was absolutely nessary!

FSOneblin
Don't panic

Now an "adult!"