Vector Map

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

OK! As Pagroove issued the challenge (and I hate to disappoint) and thanks in no small part to a nifty bit of programming on my part that takes the raw data from the wiki and reformats it into something the adobe Illustrator can understand.

http://www.crimsonforge.co.uk/cloister/OOmap_G2.pdf

It's looking a little bare at the moment so..... naming competition anyone?
Squeek
Competent
Competent

Post by Squeek »

The Eronona-Erananri-Arorar triangle is often called by (obviously Capitalist) traders as the "Share-Bear cluster". The Arorari government has been pushing for the more accurate name "Communist Cat Sector" for decades. The Human Colonial officials of Eronona and Erananri have declined comment.

Any slaves bought on Anvere, being fat yellow insects, are delicacies on Erlage, planet of fat birds. This witchspace trading route is often called the "Er-large corridor".
Master Bates
Competent
Competent

Post by Master Bates »

The small cluster in the 'south' of Galaxy 2, starting at roughly 140 on the map and ending at 180 (the one containing Atlein, Zabeso, etc) should probably be a named region. Although it's not particularly good as a trading region and is extremely isolated, it's still rather interesting - an isolated backwater area of space, consisting primarily of low- and mid-tech feudal and multigovernment systems, that can only be reached by witching through a single high-tech (and resource-poor) corporate system? I sense there's a bit of interesting backstory to that. I can imagine the corporations of Zaedvera secretly manipulating the governments of all those weaker systems, playing the various feuding factions and squabbling countries against each other for their own benefit, keeping that entire little cluster running just how they want it. What's more, I can also see the beginning of a revolution - two worlds in the cluster seem to have come under communist control (Zateteis and Eringe). Now I wonder...what would a cluster like that be called? The Zaedvera Corporate Cluster? Something involving the word 'Peninsula' or 'Promontory'?

EDIT: Incidentally, this has gotten my imagination going, and I feel what might be the beginnings of an OXP concept forming.
Cmd. Cheyd
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Deep Horizon Industries Manufacturing & Research Site somewhere in G8...

Post by Cmd. Cheyd »

I enjoyed working on the naming of the G1 sectors.... You guys pick the regions and why, I'll happily work on names. :) As for your sector, Master... Give me a day to think on it. I'm thinking something simple like "The Backwater".
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Cmd. Cheyd wrote:
As for your sector, Master... Give me a day to think on it. I'm thinking something simple like "The Backwater".
Here, an isolated area with only one way in/out created by loops in the river is referred to as a 'pocket'.. Fig Tree Pocket, Priors Pocket, etc..

so maybe, Zaedvera Pocket? The Warlords Pocket? or something similar..
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

My own thoughts are, firstly it would be nice to have a trade route like galaxy 1. I've noticed a lot of anarchy syystems have "the keys to the kingdom" in this map. E.g. you've got to travel through them in order to get to the richer systems on the other side.

Other than that, is there actually any literature or oxp that would suggest any areas of interest? It would be nice if it could be made as encompassing as possible. If people want to take a still of the map then indicate where areas should be and what they should be called then it would make this process a bit easier. OR rough co-ordinates and contained systems would do. (I do have 6 more of these things to make and name).
Master Bates wrote:
EDIT: Incidentally, this has gotten my imagination going, and I feel what might be the beginnings of an OXP concept forming.
We'll that is indeed the point. We have 8 maps, we don't use them so much. By making the contents and the information contained within instantly accessable, we begin to notice things that intregue us. These things where always there, they were just hidden in the data.

We need to fix that, liberate the information and the stories and oxps will follow. We're making a blank canvas here. A suitable culmination to my endevours, I believe. :D
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

ClymAngus wrote:
Other than that, is there actually any literature or oxp that would suggest any areas of interest? It would be nice if it could be made as encompassing as possible. If people want to take a still of the map then indicate where areas should be and what they should be called then it would make this process a bit easier. OR rough co-ordinates and contained systems would do. (I do have 6 more of these things to make and name).
The Ionics mission takes place in the Ramaza (228/19) region. I'm not sure what the area ought to be called, but the cluster encompasses all the systems in this image, basically. The OXP defines Zaria (236/13) as the economic hub of the region, IIRC.
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

Given the nature of the ships something -web might be appropriate. :D

I've taken a look on the wiki and there is very little apart from ionics (Ramazan Liberation Front are localised) (Benulobiweed Inc. are a bit fly by night to have a sector named after them) (and the Link are too secretive).

Do we need a gal-centre?

also we have that large supercluster of systems on the left which are fairly ripe for a name. I'll try and work out some highway routes.

Hmm those two seccoms look VERY close together don't they? I'll have to take a look into that.....

Woo! Spotted a wiki flaw! http://wiki.alioth.net/index.ph/Galaxy_Two_SecComs

Sector Command 7 Bebege 1, 33

Bebege is 32 not 33, 32 is Diti.

Can someone fix that for me on the wiki please? My logon is still screwed.
Last edited by ClymAngus on Wed May 20, 2009 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

ClymAngus wrote:
(Benulobiweed Inc. are a bit fly by night to have a sector named after them)
Perhaps that sector got its name from being producer and consumer-heavy concerning the same sort of weed that Benulobiweed Inc. was named after?

Would find that name immortalised as a sector cool, is the above enough storytellium? :wink:
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

ClymAngus wrote:
I like that idea.. Hmmm..
ClymAngus wrote:
Woo! Spotted a wiki flaw! http://wiki.alioth.net/index.ph/Galaxy_Two_SecComs

Sector Command 7 Bebege 1, 33

Bebege is 32 not 33, 32 is Diti.

Can someone fix that for me on the wiki please? My logon is still screwed.
Your link isn't working.. Will see what I can do.

Edit.. ahh.. should be http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Galaxy_Two_SecComs
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Done
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

Squeek wrote:
The Eronona-Erananri-Arorar triangle is often called by (obviously Capitalist) traders as the "Share-Bear cluster". The Arorari government has been pushing for the more accurate name "Communist Cat Sector" for decades. The Human Colonial officials of Eronona and Erananri have declined comment.

Any slaves bought on Anvere, being fat yellow insects, are delicacies on Erlage, planet of fat birds. This witchspace trading route is often called the "Er-large corridor".
I shall add those too. Speaking of the 3 communist systems. Actually there role is a little more pivital. They are the only stable bridge between the upper left and middle of the system all other routes require a jump through at least one anarchy. Maybe a more general name would be quite cool.

The Triumverate, GateKeeper collective or something.

A note on the slaughter route, don't forget Laceteed. Another great source of protein for our fat birdies. Reading this wiki page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slaughterhouse gave me some great ideas on stories revolving around the flesh peddlers of ERLAGE.
I'm plumping for Erlage Corridor (or Butchers row). I'll make it a trade route, nice find squeek!
Last edited by ClymAngus on Wed May 20, 2009 1:04 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

The problem with Bebege as Gal2 SecCom7 is that Bebege is VERY close (only 1 jump) to Isonza, SecCom12 (planet number 202), which I think is what ClymAngus was referring to.. the entry actually needs to have the name Bebege replaced with the name Diti, with planet number staying at 33, as it was before and thus agreeing with the red dot at planet 33 on the map.

I've changed things to reflect this... do you agree, Thargoid?
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

ClymAngus wrote:
We could give a nod to the original Star Trek and call it "The Tholian Web" :D
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Diziet Sma wrote:
I've changed things to reflect this... do you agree, Thargoid?
Yup