Final Fantasy: Spirits within

Off topic discussion zone.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Cody

DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Final Fantasy: Spirits within

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Back in 2001 Nvidia released a tech demo for their new GF3 cards that could render FF:tSW at something less than movie quality but running at almost 10fps.

Given that our order for 27 new PCs based on the latest i7 CPU and GX285 graphics has been approved I have been trying to track down this demo to see how it would run on the new machines and to see if the quality could be jacked up - but I've spent hours on Google trying various incarnations of the key words and the same within nvidia's own site and while I can find references to and about the demo I cannot find the demo itself - so I thought I'd ask the brilliant Oolite Forum for some help...

(Wonder what Oolite will run like on a i7 with dual 1GB SLI GX285s...) :lol: :wink:
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
radcapricorn
Competent
Competent

Post by radcapricorn »

Try here and here ;-)

EDIT:
DaddyHoggy wrote:
(Wonder what Oolite will run like on a i7 with dual 1GB SLI GX285s...)
DISAPPOINTER: ON
About this, no big wonders. The game will run smooth, and that's it. To make things benefit from dual/quad/whatever cores and dual/triple/whatever video cards you must develop a special way, you know ;-) The drivers/OS may or may not do something for you, but the bulk of it is for you to take care of.
DISAPPOINTER: OFF

Well anyway, what'd be better than just running smooth? ;-) (remembers the old days (before Jan-2009) when he had to run Oolite on Duron 750 + ATI Radeon 9250 under XP with 512Mb RAM with slow hard drive and many OXPs)
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

They're close and there's some good demos that I can use in later lectures when we get the new cards but the mysterious FF demo remains a mystery...
Selezen wrote:
radcapricorn
Competent
Competent

Post by radcapricorn »

Hmm, don't know if you know about it or not: you can try http://www.archive.org to search nvidia site for specific year. You won't find just anything there, but this resource helped me once or twice to find something, well, old.
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Will investigate later - I've just noticed the time - ouch - lecturing tomorrow...

Atleast Hatchling Racing is now finished!

Thanks for taking the time to hunt out the links.

Re the new machines - may be I run Oolite on one of our new 52" Plasma HD 1080i TVs... :D
Selezen wrote: