Aquatics logo design help / competition

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Aquatics logo design help / competition

Post by Thargoid »

As some of you know, I'm currently working on a major revision/upgrade of my Aquatics OXP, including all sorts of new fun stuff like the HammerHead hauler, a new company HQ and a fair number of new ships and a mission.

But one thing that I do need is a logo for the Aquarian Shipbuilding Corporation, to be displayed as a backdrop to the welcome screen on the first occasion that the HQ is visited. But the problem is my graphical skills amount to being able to draw the curtains (and I don't always get that right).

So I thought I'd turn it over to you lot. I'm looking for a company logo, sometime that can be used as a backdrop for a mission screen and probably in the wiki too. Image size 512x512 pixels (or multiples thereof each way, but not to big) and in png format. To include the company name, plus obviously something of a suitably aquatic theme that would look good as the company logo.

The OXP should be ready for release in the next week or two, so over to you lot. Best entry (as chosen by me) will get used in the OXP, with full credit of course.
DeepSpace
Deadly
Deadly

Post by DeepSpace »

Hi Thargoid. Try this one. Done in a flat, but iconic style. Makes it easy to read at a distance hopefully (if on a ships hull for instance) :wink:

Anyway here's my take... Note the fish is a Morgran Targ Beast from the Lavian Genetics R&D labs :wink:

http://www.jblythe.f9.co.uk/files/AquarianLogo.png
http://www.jblythe.f9.co.uk/oolite

"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back it time of Breakfast!"
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

And we have a winner! :wink:

<puts electronic equivalent of pens and paper away and wanders off to think about next Hatchling racing skin instead>
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

It's very nice yes, just the sort of thing I was thinking of. But knowing the skilled people we have around here, I'm sure we can have some more entries to challenge it!
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Screet »

DeepSpace wrote:
Hi Thargoid. Try this one. Done in a flat, but iconic style. Makes it easy to read at a distance hopefully (if on a ships hull for instance) :wink:
It's strange. I somehow like it, but there's also something confusing me badly.

MAYBE it's the different colored circles from the planet. I bet they would indicate a pole and different climate zones of a planet - and if so, the rings go with an alignment I would not expect: offset from the rotational axis of the planet. IIRC all ring planets have those rings around their equator due to the gravitational forces.

Thus the planet part would require a little rotation to keep the rings where they are, but then it could not be drawn only by placing those circles above each other, I'm afraid.

Thus, maybe, just leave it the way it is ;) It's just reporting some point that does confuse me when looking at that logo.

Screet
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

It's a symbol, not a picture ;) And don't forget if you want to get technical, Aqualina is a water world anyway.

Plus it's for use mainly as a mission screen backdrop, not sure branding the ships with it is quite the right way to go.

Accidentally it also incorporates a bit something I've added in the new version, the Aquarian Corp orbital HQ.

ovvldc
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ovvldc »

Thargoid wrote:
Accidentally it also incorporates a bit something I've added in the new version, the Aquarian Corp orbital HQ.
That screenshot is a bit too dark on my system to make out much.. Looks like the outline of a night side of a space station with the outline of a night side of a planet on the background...

Best wishes,
Oscar