Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

As science fiction fans.... New Star Trek trailer is out...

Off topic discussion zone.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Cody

ramon
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ramon »

lol, no....a bit like me and my Anaconda.
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

Yeah, been following the New Voyages (or Phase II as they're now titled) since reading about them on startrek.com. The effects and production values are nothing short of spectacular, but the stories and acting leave a little to be desired.

That said, they have managed to accrue a HUGE amount of writers and guests from the original series, which is no small feat! The guy that plays Kirk in them is making an appearance in Abrams' movie too! What about that for recognition!?
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
Enterprise sucked soooo badly, as soon as they mentioned a "Temporal Cold War" I thought, oh well, that's this series screwed over then. It lasted only as long as it did for Syndication purposes - it should have been cancelled after series one (or possibly the pilot).
I think In A Mirror, Darkly (near the end of the last season) pretty much made up for the rest of it. But then, I cheated and didn’t watch most of the stuff in the middle. ;-)
Ark
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Ark »

Ahruman wrote:
I think In A Mirror, Darkly (near the end of the last season) pretty much made up for the rest of it.
I agree. It was an extremely clever 2 part episode indeed.
Generally the last season was far better from the previous seasons, but I was too late for the series :cry:
Sarin
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Sarin »

True. Mirror episodes were the best episodes of ENT as whole, and overall 4th season was good...except ending.
CptnEcho
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CptnEcho »

ramon wrote:
has anybody seen these fan episodes:

http://www.startreknewvoyages.com

The episodes are pretty good actually, I think the guy who plays Kirk in this has a small cameo in the new Trek film.
I've been enjoying Star Trek: New Voyages. I'll keep an eye open for James McCauley in the film.
"I shouldn't have taken off in this crate without more ammo..." Sergeant Knox - Star Blazers
Rebecca
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Rebecca »

they're fun, but the acting is a bit...well... 'wince'-y at times!
Becca the Hermit Slayer, and part-time unpredictable avatar assassin.
CptnEcho
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CptnEcho »

It's all part of the "B-movie" style and charm. 8)
"I shouldn't have taken off in this crate without more ammo..." Sergeant Knox - Star Blazers
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

I've seem the movie yesterday. It brought a big smile to my face. Science Ficition movies are certainly not dead :D

IMDB.com rates it 8.4 out of 10 which is a good score.
For P.A. Groove's music check
https://soundcloud.com/p-a-groove
Famous Planets v 2.7. (for Povray)
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13709
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

It's my wife's turn to go to the cinema this week - I got to see Wolverine - so have to wait until the hub-bub dies down a bit. Still in two minds about JJ being at the helm but nobody seems to NOT like it - so I will try and go with an open mind and ignore the stepping around the canon by introducing a time travel element.
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
DeepSpace
Deadly
Deadly

Post by DeepSpace »

Saw the movie a couple of days ago. Man I was well happy with it. Its funny in all the right places, the effects are amazing, the acting good. Simon Pegg steals nearly every scene he's in. The way they left the whole trek universe at the end of the movie was a ballsy decision. Hats off to JJ for not copping out and coming up with some reset button for the timeline. Niice. Can't wait for the next one, and you know they'll be another one for sure. 8) :D

Well worth seeing, whether you're a fan of TOS or just a general sci-fi fan.
All we need now is for JJ to put a Babylon 5 hat on and reboot/relaunch that as a film or even *gasp* Blakes 7 :shock:
http://www.jblythe.f9.co.uk/oolite

"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back it time of Breakfast!"
ramon
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ramon »

saw it today. I went to the cinema thinking it was going to be okay, not brilliant though. I was wrong thankfully - it's one of the best films I've seen in a long time.
Sarin
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Sarin »

Just seen it a few hours ago. I was afraid that the restart of series will make it more inconsistent with Star Trek than Enterprise or Voyager, and time travel will make a mess out of storyline.

None of that really happened. Pushing the whole storyline into alternative timeline from the beginning gave JJ great freedom without actually breaking the ST cannon, and time travel is...well, if old Spock weren't there, I wouldn't even really noticed it.

Overall the film was better than I expected, but I have to point out several things. Nero was dull...I didn't get if he was supposed to be villain or just a tragic character, but he was more like a background, and his only better moment ("I would rather die in agony than accepting help from YOU.") is quickly stomped by Kirk's comment. Some comments on technical side-how come you can see explosion of Vulcan at Delta Vega without time interval of years? And come on, no matter how strong it is, how can a simple EVA suit survive an atmospheric entry without frying the man inside? On the other hand, from astronomical point, it is first time I really saw in movie to be black hole shown as BLACK HOLE. Literally. No crazy shining spinning stuff. Out of actors, three of them did not really match their original characters I think-Pike was too old, Chekov and Sarek looked just too differently. Otherwise, good call on the others. Space battles were just too chaotic, and I did not enjoyed them as much as, say DS9 battles. Putting Kirk into command of Enterprise right after he graduated is...strange.

But let's get to good stuff. The movie was quite fast-paced, and it didn't really feel like two hours. The movie really felt consistent, only one part felt a bit "forced", and it was Delta Vega-from discovering old Spock up to Scotty's swim in cooling liquid (I wonder why they still use water as coolant). JJ worked well with the cliche-we got 47 klingon battleships, redshirt dying a horrible death, but still there were some parts that were totally unexpected-I really didn't expect Spock to show the same emotion as his father (trying to avoid spoilers). Although I heard that JJ is not a fan of ST, he did a great job, like Kirk eating apple when going through hacked Kobyashi Maru with same smile as he did years later and 9 movies earlier in Genesis cave when talking about it, and some other moments that remind ST fan that he is not watching just another sci-fi. There was quite a few surprises, until the very end I expected some kind of big red RESET button, as is too common in ST time travel stuff...and it did not happen, leaving us with alternate timeline with some major changes...and hope for a sequel.

Overall...it was an excellent movie, and in my rating shares the 4th place along with III and VII in the rating of ST movies.
overmage
Deadly
Deadly

Post by overmage »

http://www.theonion.com/content/video/t ... =a-section

"CGI and alien battle scenes that don't just look like two out-of-shape guys in bad make-up... must be a real blow to those fans"
Last edited by overmage on Sun May 10, 2009 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

overmage wrote:
http://www.theonion.com/content/video/t ... =a-section

"CGI and alien battle scenes that don't just look like two out-of-shape guys in bad make-up"
Funny stuff! :)
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here