Internal layout of ships....

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Pansen
Dangerous
Dangerous

Internal layout of ships....

Post by Pansen »

Hey

I was wondering if anyone had thoughts/plans on the interior of ships - sounds a bit obsessive, I know - but interested in that. Remember that when I was a lot younger, we made models of the ships out of card, and tried to work out what would go where - in terms of cargo bay/bridge/crew quarters/engine room etc...

Anyone got any thoughts on this, or is it just me taking things a bit too far...?
Sarin
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Sarin »

Can't give you any specific links, but I've seen internals of Cobby III flying around, and I think there are more of them..

So don't worry...you might be a geek but you're not the only one ;)
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

If you're still of a mind to play with paper models, you might want to have a look here. Each image can be clicked on for a printable image to cut out, fold and glue, (if you leave some tabs to glue, that is, he seems to have forgotten about that)... :)
This is the only internal layout pic I'm aware of.. our old friend the Cobra Mk.III
Last edited by Diziet Sma on Mon May 04, 2009 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Actually, it looks better with a black background instead of transparent.
Davidtq
Deadly
Deadly

Re: Internal layout of ships....

Post by Davidtq »

Pansen wrote:
Hey

I was wondering if anyone had thoughts/plans on the interior of ships - sounds a bit obsessive, I know - but interested in that. Remember that when I was a lot younger, we made models of the ships out of card, and tried to work out what would go where - in terms of cargo bay/bridge/crew quarters/engine room etc...

Anyone got any thoughts on this, or is it just me taking things a bit too far...?
The original Elite Manual had a rough description of a cobra's interior arrangement along with a picture of the cobra cabin and a cargobay. You can download a copy from ian bells website :-

http://www.iancgbell.clara.net/elite/archive/index.htm
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Internal layout of ships....

Post by Diziet Sma »

Davidtq wrote:
Pansen wrote:
Hey

The original Elite Manual had a rough description of a cobra's interior arrangement along with a picture of the cobra cabin and a cargobay. You can download a copy from ian bells website :-

http://www.iancgbell.clara.net/elite/archive/index.htm
Look for the link that says "a4100070.zip . 3615 K BBC Elite Manual (GIF scans)"

Wow.. looking at that manual takes me back... :D
Yodeebe
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Yodeebe »

Don't worry, it's not just you.
I like to have some idea of whats going on inside too.

Not an original Oolite ship, but flyable on OSE, the falcon.

Cmdr James
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Cmdr James »

Yodeebe wrote:
Not an original Oolite ship, but flyable on OSE, the falcon.
Or indeed, it was developed by Charlie, and is available at http://capnhack.com/hosting/oolite/drop ... 1_70_1.zip.
Yodeebe
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Yodeebe »

:oops:

yup, I should have said, sorry.
thanks Charlie. I love it.
Pansen
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Pansen »

Thanks for all these posts, guys!

V cool stuff - interesing that someone has created the nets for these ships - great stuff - would have loved that when I was younger - unfortunately, no time for that at the mo!

Surprised how small the accomodation on Cobra III appears! all filled out with equipment/engines - guess thats the way it may be, though!

Thanks again!
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Pansen wrote:

V cool stuff - interesing that someone has created the nets for these ships - great stuff - would have loved that when I was younger - unfortunately, no time for that at the mo!

Surprised how small the accomodation on Cobra III appears! all filled out with equipment/engines - guess thats the way it may be, though!

Thanks again!
I'm not a great fan of this particular Cobby3 cutout - I think the Cobby3 is much roomier than this implies - how else does all this additional equipment that the Cobby3 can take go in with affecting the exterior appearance of the ship...? (you certainly get the impression from The Dark Wheel that the Cobra Mk 3 is a ship full of useful space)
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
Pansen wrote:

Thanks again!
I'm not a great fan of this particular Cobby3 cutout - I think the Cobby3 is much roomier than this implies - how else does all this additional equipment that the Cobby3 can take go in with affecting the exterior appearance of the ship...? (you certainly get the impression from The Dark Wheel that the Cobra Mk 3 is a ship full of useful space)
Wasn't that mostly 'cause they had no cargo to begin with? And I recall Elyssia used to have to hide in the escape capsule.... Is there any particular passage in DW you're thinking of that gives that impression?
milinks
Deadly
Deadly

Post by milinks »

..read this thread about ship internals, ive made a few ships for my son to play in the game where the ships are to scale internally with cockpits cargo bays, living quarters (i know! i need to get out more :oops: ) what can i say... thats what my son wanted lol! I used external views to "walkthrough the ship" so you couldnt actually look at specific rooms without running through the sequence, it was quite good when the rear cargo doors were blown away and you walked through the ship to to the cargo bay and staring out into space lol! (assuming i stopped for a space suit along the way of course :) I'll dig them out and upload them, they arent in elite style ships, just my own ideas (need to say thanks Griff for the shading info you replied with a while back, havent got back on to thank you since)
Pansen
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Pansen »

Be great to see them, for sure.

I haven't had a chance to check it up, but quite sure when we used to work out the internals, it was based on external dimensions, and the likely volume of 1t cargo canisters, and sure we had lots of space left over - having said that, it's pretty much anyone's guess, cos who knows how much interior space hyperdrives, engines, life support etc would take up.

My own view is that there must be space for a small mess, crew cabins/galley etc - just psychologically you couldn't be on a ship that long without a bit more space - you'd go crazy! Some of the plans we created had ships with solariums, gyms and canteens! Maybe a bit like modern oil rigs/ocean going ships. In the year 3000 they have other wayys to get around this, though! :wink:
Pansen
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Pansen »

Just as an afterthought - has anyone seen 'serenity'/'firefly'? I understand that the plans for the interior of the ship were designed to be in keeping with the exterior, and that that ship could carry approx 75tonnes of cargo - the layout (which can be found with a google search) appears much more roomy than the plans for the Cobra III, and this series was set before oolite, as I understand it (surely advancements have been made since then???). Granted, the Cobra has less cargo space and I may stand guilty of a charge of comparing apples and oranges here - but seems to justify that at least some of the ships in oolite would be quite large internally.

I'm a surveyor, by the way, which may explain my strange obsession vis a vis measurement external an internal;-)!