OXP to re-promote me!

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Pansen
Dangerous
Dangerous

OXP to re-promote me!

Post by Pansen »

Hello all!

Been away for months, and just playing again. Problem is, I'm on a new computer, and none of my old saved games seem to be working (same OS - win xp pro, n files visible, but not appearing when I load oolite up:-?)

Want to get to dangerous (my old rank) again to do some missions, but v limited time at the mo - is there an OXP that promotes automatically? Not really worried about losing my expensive Mussurana and equipment - but bit gutted about losing my ranking!

Thanks!
Greyman
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Greyman »

Hello,

you can always try to edit your save file. That should work with any text editor. If you don't have a save game simply save your game at the beginning and go back to windows in order to edit.

Insinde the save game everything interesting can be found in plain readable text so I think you shouldn't have any problems there. I think you would have to add some numbers to the key "ship_kills" to upgrade your ranking.

Greetings,

Greyman
Greyman
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Greyman »

On the other side ... some people might think of this as cheating :shock:

But I guess it's ok as long as you are happy :lol:
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Greyman wrote:
On the other side ... some people might think of this as cheating :shock:

But I guess it's ok as long as you are happy :lol:

But if he's already earned that rank and has been let down by a technical faff, it's not really cheating is it?
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Davidtq
Deadly
Deadly

Re: OXP to re-promote me!

Post by Davidtq »

Pansen wrote:
Hello all!

Been away for months, and just playing again. Problem is, I'm on a new computer, and none of my old saved games seem to be working (same OS - win xp pro, n files visible, but not appearing when I load oolite up:-?)

Want to get to dangerous (my old rank) again to do some missions, but v limited time at the mo - is there an OXP that promotes automatically? Not really worried about losing my expensive Mussurana and equipment - but bit gutted about losing my ranking!

Thanks!
Have you got any of these save files? Might be worth seeing of someone can get them working and what the problem is. No point losing the ship and equipment if its only going to turn out 5 minutes work to fix.
Pansen
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Pansen »

Hey,

Thanks for the advice - have lots of old saved files, but think they may be in the wrong folder or something like that, so not 'seen' when I load up the game - don't seem to be able to find where any of the 'new' saved files are stored, which is a bit weird...

Anyway, I'll have a bit of a play around and see what I can do.

May have a look at editing the ' no. of kills' thing, too ;-).

Thanks again!
Captain Tylor
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Captain Tylor »

computer locakDisk(c:) users (your ID) AppData Local VirtualStore ProgramFiles Oolite oolite.app oolite-saves

Try here its where my save files are stored anyway
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

That's for Vista... Pansen already said he's using XP Pro. So it should be in his C:\Program Files\Oolite\oolite.app\oolite-saves folder unless he installed somewhere non-standard.
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

And if you want to get technical, the OXP to re-promote you (and any other cheat you may feel like performing) is of course the debug console (which I know isn't an OXP) and debug.oxp (which is) :twisted:
Pansen
Dangerous
Dangerous

Apologies....

Post by Pansen »

Right - feel like a real idiot now, and sorry for wasting everyones time, but turns out my new saved files were located in a different folder - but one that had almost an identical string - to that which my old files were located in, so have simply transferred the files and all's fine... ....I guess the lesson for me is to do a bit more research before posting...

Was very interested - and a bit surprised- to find out how easy it is to alter kill nos. with the text editor though!

You'll have to excuse me, I'm pretty crap at these IT things but learning fast...

Sorry again for the waste of time....:-/ Having said that, however, if it hadn't have been for your support/advice, would probably just have given up, so really appreciative:-)

Thanks to you all - this is a great game!
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Not a waste of time at all - at some point in the future somebody will be inclined to ask the same question - will find this thread and see that others have walked the little tread path before them... :wink:

The important thing is of course that you've got your pilot back!
Selezen wrote:
Cmdr James
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Cmdr James »

For the record, I raised a similar question when my laptop was stolen. I finally decided to just bite the bullet and start again.

In many ways it is the first 1000 or so kills that are the most fun. Before you end up flying a full sized naval battleship, and with a few fun missions.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Cmdr James wrote:
For the record, I raised a similar question when my laptop was stolen. I finally decided to just bite the bullet and start again.
Which is why, along with all the usual stuff, my Oolite gamesaves and custom config files are backed up to my online Carbonite account. No matter what happens to my computers, my data is safe...

They have PC and Mac support, I just wish they'd hurry up and do Linux as well.
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

I lost my two year old pilot - just one day the save game directory was empty - most distressing - and no back-up worth the effort to restore. So, with a heavy heart I started again - but its not so bad - so much stuff turned up for G1 that I got to see it all again.

Not that I play the game much anymore - RL(tm) and all that.

Can't keep me off the forum though!! :)
Selezen wrote: