Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Naval energy unit

News and discussion of the PC port of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Capt. Slog
Dangerous
Dangerous

Naval energy unit

Post by Capt. Slog »

I don't quite understand how this works. I have completed the mission. Got the unit, upgraded to a supercobra and it went. I bought a new supercobra which allegedly had one fitted. It didn't appear on the ships inventory. Can I find out what happened. Anything to look for in the save file?
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Naval energy unit

Post by Screet »

Welcome to the board!
Capt. Slog wrote:
I don't quite understand how this works. I have completed the mission. Got the unit, upgraded to a supercobra and it went. I bought a new supercobra which allegedly had one fitted. It didn't appear on the ships inventory. Can I find out what happened. Anything to look for in the save file?
It's this entry:

Code: Select all

<key>EQ_NAVAL_ENERGY_UNIT</key>
	<true/>
However, if I recall correctly, the unit only is transferrable if you use OSE.

Ships which should come with it, when you buy them, should show it!

As the naval energy unit does replace the extra energy unit, that one won't show up once you've upgraded to the NEU.

Screet
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Once you've done the mission they become available for purchase at higher tech systems (13+ I think, but don't quote me on that) as well as being awarded to the current ship you're in, but don't automagically transfer when you swap ships iirc. But when you sold your ship you will of course get extra money for having the NEU on it.

PS Salutations :twisted:
Capt. Slog
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Capt. Slog »

Thanks for the prompt replies. I dont't see that key in my save files, either my current one or for the supercobra that I purchased. After buying my first supercobra the NEU disappeared and was replaced by the SC's seven bank unit and I just assumed the SC and the NEU were incompatible. When I saw the SC for sale with one built in I purchased it but It still did not show either on the inventory or in the save file.
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

Capt. Slog wrote:
When I saw the SC for sale with one built in I purchased it but It still did not show either on the inventory or in the save file.
That's a bug for sure.

I have two questions:

1) Have you had a mission where you were awarded a NEU at the end?

2) Do you play with or without Realistic Shipyards oxp? (You shouldn't have OSE, but perhaps it's WiP version somehow spread without my knowledge :wink: )

After you answering those questions, perhaps we can look deeper into the problem.

Screet, could this have to do with Cataclysm.oxp? Capt. Slog, do you have that one in? This removes some equipment ... could this be the reason?

:?:

L
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: ...

Post by Screet »

Lestradae wrote:
Screet, could this have to do with Cataclysm.oxp? Capt. Slog, do you have that one in? This removes some equipment ... could this be the reason?
It's not among the banned equipment. Cataclysm removes the cloak if the mission was not flown and the MASC and Jammer in general.

Screet
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

-> Screet, didn't you also have a NEU that did an appearing/disappearing act sometimes?

-> If Capt. Slog answers the two questions, then we might be able to support him anyways.
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: ..

Post by Screet »

Lestradae wrote:
-> Screet, didn't you also have a NEU that did an appearing/disappearing act sometimes?
Yes, there was something, but at that time I also was putting in and removing oxps for tests, so it's difficult to determine what really did happen. I haven't had any trouble with it for a loooong time now!

Screet
Capt. Slog
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Capt. Slog »

1. Constrictor hunt? Yes completed. I think, though, that I had already purchased a ship with one by that time. As I understand it that would allow me to use it rather than seeing it awarded. When I upgraded to a supercobra I lost it and assumed it was not compatible with the supercobra, hence my surprise when I found one for sale.

2. Don't use any shipyard oxps nor Cataclysm. Supercobra, random hits, YAH. RS looks interesting but I'm not sure the laptop could cope.
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

Capt. Slog wrote:
1. Constrictor hunt? Yes completed. I think, though, that I had already purchased a ship with one by that time. As I understand it that would allow me to use it rather than seeing it awarded. ... Don't use any shipyard oxps nor Cataclysm.
Aha, that narrows it down.

There is a further mission - you are not getting the NEU after the Constrictor one.

It all boils down to you buying a ship that had a NEU advertised as included but then wasn't there.

There is also the phenomenon (on my screen at least) that if a lot of equipment is offered in addition to the ship, some equipment is not erased from the buying screen. You then see the remnants of equipment offered without it being offered for the ship you look at, if you know what I mean. This is the last thing that comes to mind. If that wasn't it, it will probably be a core game problem?!
Capt. Slog wrote:
I have completed the mission. Got the unit, upgraded to a supercobra and it went.
So, you bought a ship, that already had a NEU, then you got the mission with the Constrictor, completed that, later bought a new ship also with NEU and that was gone, yes?
Capt. Slog
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Capt. Slog »

Lestradae,
Thanks, I should perhaps have said I have completed all the native missions.
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

Hm, then my latin is at an end, as austrians say :(

But you gave me an idea about RS and the NEU ...

Hope you find out what is malfunctioning there :?

L
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

@Capt. Slog - as others have said - "welcome!"

Since you have bought a SC with an NEU and it's not showing then you've paid for it - you could make a copy of your current saved file, and then add the Key given earlier by Screet and see if that makes the NEU appear, not sure what to suggest though if it does not, nor what the problem is/was if it then does appear as part of your equipment.
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Capt. Slog
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Capt. Slog »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
@Capt. Slog - as others have said - "welcome!"

Since you have bought a SC with an NEU and it's not showing then you've paid for it - you could make a copy of your current saved file, and then add the Key given earlier by Screet and see if that makes the NEU appear, not sure what to suggest though if it does not, nor what the problem is/was if it then does appear as part of your equipment.
Adding the key wasn't sufficient but adding it and removing the extra energy unit on a mkIII worked on the manifest screen and gave me the larger bars on the energy display. On a SC it worked on the manifest but no change to the energy display.
Capt. Slog
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Capt. Slog »

Does anyone know what the follwing key does?

mission_TL_FOR_EQ_NAVAL_ENERGY_UNIT

And, to put me out of my misery, does the NEU fit in a supercobra?