advice on gfx cards req'd please!

Off topic discussion zone.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Cody

DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

advice on gfx cards req'd please!

Post by DaddyHoggy »

My work is buying a couple of gaming laptops so we can do remote demos of our fairly intensive graphical packages.

We're looking at (because we get educational discounts) the Dell XPS 1730, but we've got an interesting choice of gfx cards:

512MB SLI GF 8800GTX or 512MB SLI 9800GT.

On paper the 9800s should be better but I just wanted to check with the high-end graphic users out there that this was the case. (no extra charge for the 9800s over the 8800s so we're not cost driven)
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

Ages ago i was looking to buy a graphics card, and i bookmarked this page, it might help you decide - i don't really know much about all the technical stuff, but it does show the 8800GTX getting bigger numbers over the 9800GT
http://www.gpureview.com/show_cards.php ... &card2=575
will you be able to take one of the laptops home for 'evaluation' - ie shader enabled Oolite playing :D
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Griff wrote:
Ages ago i was looking to buy a graphics card, and i bookmarked this page, it might help you decide - i don't really know much about all the technical stuff, but it does show the 8800GTX getting bigger numbers over the 9800GT
http://www.gpureview.com/show_cards.php ... &card2=575
will you be able to take one of the laptops home for 'evaluaton' - ie shader enabled Oolite playing :D
Oh yes.... :D
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

oh, hang on i think i got that the wrong way around, the 9800gt gets the best end result, not the 8800gtx.
Micha
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Micha »

I'd always take on-the-paper stats with a large grain of salt, ditto with benchmarks (it's a well known fact that hardware manufacturers tweak their hardware and/or their drivers to score highly in popular benchmarks to the potential detriment of real-world applications).
The glass is twice as big as it needs to be.