Planet Texture Coloring (Was: Planet Texture bug?)

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Micha
Commodore
Commodore

Planet Texture Coloring (Was: Planet Texture bug?)

Post by Micha »

Between my current Linux x64 builds of Oolite 1.72 and 1.73, there's a huge difference in the way planetary textures (from Famous Planets) are being rendered.

In 1.72 they look ok, but in 1.73, they are very much blue.

In the "Ruining the Classics" thread there was a discussion on blue objects 2 years ago, however in my case it's only png-wrapped textured planets which are affected - procedurally-generated planets are fine as are all other objects except nebula, which are also extremely dim in 1.73.

My system runs an ATI 9600 XT gfx card, a similar card was mentioned as having similar issues. However, as the planets look alright in 1.72, I'm suspecting it's not a driver issue? I've tried several recent drivers, including the latest, but no real difference between them.

Any suggestions?
The glass is twice as big as it needs to be.
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Planet Texture bug?

Post by Screet »

Micha wrote:
My system runs an ATI 9600 XT gfx card, a similar card was mentioned as having similar issues. However, as the planets look alright in 1.72, I'm suspecting it's not a driver issue? I've tried several recent drivers, including the latest, but no real difference between them.

Any suggestions?
RMA your card and switch to nVidia. That's what I did with my 4870x2, however, the same problems it did show where also to be seen with a X1550 and X800XTPE.

As for the planets, I didn't notice yet, but I also almost didn't play in the past due to lack of time. However, the nebulae look just fine in the trunk version for me.

Also my ATI card had sometimes wrong colorings of ships due to a driver fault...maybe something similar is happening for you with the nebulae. Some other ships never did show proper textures with my ATI cards and subentities sometimes were black, white or red instead of showing up properly...all the troubles are gone since I got rid of ATI. I doubt that they soon will fix their drivers.

Screet
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

I remember that blue tinted objects problem, Ahruman tracked it down to the fragment shader - the vec4 that contained the final colour for the fragment needed to be cleared out with 0.0's before doing anything else, otherwise the ATI cards would colour the objects with a blue tint - Nvidia cards didn't seem to be affected, their drivers must re-initialise vec's automatically or something *shrug*
Maybe the shader used for planets needs this line? it looked like this
for the ship fragment shader:
void main(void)
{
vec4 diffuse = vec4(0.0), specular = vec4(0.0);
_ds_
Deadly
Deadly

Re: Planet Texture bug?

Post by _ds_ »

Screet wrote:
RMA your card and switch to nVidia. That's what I did with my 4870x2, however, the same problems it did show where also to be seen with a X1550 and X800XTPE.
I wouldn't do that: it involves switching to taintware. (Unless nouveau is adequately usable these days…)
http://tartarus.org/~ds/oolite/patches, Buzzer OXP etc.
Micha
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Micha »

Ok, I just threw an Nvidida 6800 GT card into the machine (it's unstable which is why I don't normally run it). It's also quite a few FPS (10-20) slower than the ATI for some reason, 'on paper' it should be at least twice as fast.

Planets are still blue, definitely ruling out the ATI card as an issue there.

But at least the Griff Cobra is now coloured and not just grey (I get shader errors with the ATI card - probably the shader is too complex for it).
Micha
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Micha »

Found it - Interaction between Lave.oxp and FamousPlanets2.0.oxp, but it's hinting at a bug anyways.

Basically, Lave.oxp sets some parameters for the procedural-generator including colours. Those colours should, but don't, get reset when there's an actual texture specified.

Looks like the recent planet-rewrite introduced this one :)
Micha
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Micha »

Ok, hopefully fixed.. couple of rather strange coincidences there which led me up the garden-path for quite a while!!
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

Thanks Micha,

I saw this too but didn't yet report it. It appeared only at Lave. So the bug is in the Lave.OXP?
For P.A. Groove's music check
https://soundcloud.com/p-a-groove
Famous Planets v 2.7. (for Povray)
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13709
Micha
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Micha »

The bug is basically that whenever you have a texture -and- override the colours for a planet for the same planet, then the texture is recoloured with the specified colours.

And that's what happens when you install Lave.oxp (overrides planet colours) and Famous Planets (sets a texture) :)

It just happend to coincidentally recolour the texture quite blueish which led me on that wild goose chase from that other thread.. :evil:
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

Hmmm, I didn't see it as a bug, but as a compromise between what all the various OXPs tried to do: you can get 5-6 distict planetary looks with the same texture & using different colour overrides!

I suppose it could be a potahto potayto thing! :)
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
Micha
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Micha »

I did actually put that in as a comment :)

Perhaps we need multiple colour overrides - one for untextured/procedurally textured, and one for supplied-texture?

That way an OXP that -expects- to only recolour the plain planet can do so, and an OXP which wants to recolour its own textures can do so as well, without the two interfering with each other.
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

I've got no problem with the idea, but how do we differentiate between the two different types of colour overrides? A_C, what do you think?
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

At first impression, I would agree with Kaks that this can be considered a non-bug. Differentiating between the two coloring actions (planet vs texture) sounds like a nice idea. Differentiating could probably be done by making an extra key in planetinfo? Not sure, just throwing the idea here. Obviously it will need some more thought.
Micha
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Micha »

I missed the fact that it was designed this way - certainly a big difference in behaviour between 1.72 and 1.73.

Since it's easier to make a new key than coding every OXP to check whether colours have been specified / OtherOXP is installed, I'd like to see a new key.

--> Existing:
land_hsb_color = "1 2 3"; // Sets the colour of land masses
sea_hsb_color = "1 2 3"; // Sets the colour of seas

--> Proposed new:
texture_hsb_color = "1 2 3"; // Adjusts the colour of a supplied textured
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

Sounds good to me. What about polar_color_factor, clear_sky_color, cloud_color , polar_clear_sky_color, polar_cloud_color & cloud_alpha, though?