Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Moving Saved Games

News and discussion of the PC port of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Piell72
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Moving Saved Games

Post by Piell72 »

Hi, I am new to Oolite, but I used to play the original C-64 Elite version years ago. I think the game is great and I am having a lot of fun installing some of the OXP that people have been posting.

I do have one big problem, I was well on my way to getting an "Iron Ass" (Military Laser, ECM system, Fuel Scoops, Extra Energy Unit, etc.) when I bought a new computer system. I have tried looking for the save game file or pilot profiles in the Oolite folders and sub-folders, but I don't see anything. I even copied the entire Oolite folder onto an external hard drive, re-installed a clean version of 1.72.2 and then overwrote all the files and folders on the clean install. So far, everything I've tried has given me the new "Jameson" pilot. My original hard drive is still working, but the motherboard in that computer system is starting to go and I don't know how much longer it is going to last.

Can anyone recommend anything else to try or programs that might be able to help? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Cmd. Cheyd
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Deep Horizon Industries Manufacturing & Research Site somewhere in G8...

Post by Cmd. Cheyd »

Is it Windows Vista?
If Yes - Did you install to the default location (C:\Program Files\Oolite)?
If Yes Again - Search the forums for any post by Screet that has the words "Virtual Store".
_ds_
Deadly
Deadly

Post by _ds_ »

Cmd. Cheyd wrote:
Is it Windows Vista?
If Yes - Did you install to the default location (C:\Program Files\Oolite)?
If Yes Again - Search the forums for any post by Screet that has the words "Virtual Store".
Ah, the simplicity of ~/oolite-saves/… :D

(And claiming that the C*mm*d* version is the original?[/b] :shock: :evil: Piell72, you must renounce the breadbox and say ten "Hail Acornsoft"s!)
http://tartarus.org/~ds/oolite/patches, Buzzer OXP etc.
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

Welcome to the boards, first! :wink:

Then: OS, please.

Cheers

L
Piell72
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

OS is......

Post by Piell72 »

First, let me just say that this is one of the friendliest forums I have ever joined. Thanks for the Welcome and for the advice.

Second, I hate to disappoint everyone, but my OS of choice is Windows XP Pro with SP3. I've had it forever and it does everything I want it to do and more. As for Vista, I know that it has a lot of fans out there, but I can't justify installing a more memory intensive OS just to play a few DirectX 10 games, especially on my limited budget.

Third, I did not install Oolite to the default location. I place all my games in my C:\Games\Oolite file folder just to keep things organized and out the Program Files folder. Would that have any affect on where my saved games would be?

Fourth, Is it possible to have a few saved games with different pilot names? I started a new game after I couldn't find my old saved game files, and I went in a new direction (sold my Cobra Mk III for a Mark I to get the cash for better equipment and a Docking Computer to start off in more dangerous areas) with this game. Can I switch back and forth between the saved games?

Fifth, I was remembering when my brother brought home our first Elite game. Even though the systems may have changed, I think the game play is still as good (if not better) than when I first started. And now a days, you don't even have to use the LensLock to put in the code to start the game. :)

By the way, the new system that I am playing on is an AMD Triple Core with 4 Gb of RAM and Integrated ATI 3300 graphics.

Thanks again for the advice everyone.
Solas
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Solas »

If you installed to .. C:\Games\Oolite\
on your original machine then those save files should be in
C:\Games\Oolite\oolite.app\oolite-saves\
you can have many save files ( *.oolite-save ) but each is a different 'story-line'.
hope this helps ;)
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Screet »

Solas wrote:
If you installed to .. C:\Games\Oolite\
on your original machine then those save files should be in
C:\Games\Oolite\oolite.app\oolite-saves\
you can have many save files ( *.oolite-save ) but each is a different 'story-line'.
hope this helps ;)
...and subfolders for rarely used save files (e.g. at mission start points or before switching ships) could be stored in subfolders which have to be manually created in that directory.

Screet