creating oxp in linux

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Frontshooter
Poor
Poor

creating oxp in linux

Post by Frontshooter »

im new to the art of designing models and textures and i was wondering how to convert my models into a .dat file on linux :?:
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

I'm just stopping by to say "Hi" and "welcome" - on how you convert to .dat will depend on a few things, use of a special python script for one and what format our models originally came in!

Somebody with more knowledge than me will be along shortly, of that I guarantee!
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

Hi & welcome to the boards! You need to have python 2.5 on your system - the scripts are not compatible with python 3 yet, sorry!

look in here:

http://svn.berlios.de/svnroot/repos/ool ... onverters/

You need to grab the .py files. The .app ones only work in OSX.

They work extremely well with Wings 3D obj files, & afaik they should also work ok with obj files saved from Blender too. Earlier versions of those scripts had some problems with Blender saved files....
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

See, told you somebody would be along in a bit. :wink:
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Frontshooter
Poor
Poor

Post by Frontshooter »

srry im kinda new to this whole programming gig....could you give me a brief explanation on how to use this python program.....i opened python in the terminal but im not sure where to go from there....if you can give me a link to a tutorial that would be greatly appreciated
Squeek
Competent
Competent

Post by Squeek »

In my experience with programming, you type things in and said typed things happen not to do anything. But that's just me and my limited skills .

Search "Python" on google. They have a website that probably explains the language.
Frontshooter
Poor
Poor

Post by Frontshooter »

i really dont have the intrest or the time to learn the commands to one programs language...all i really need is the basics so i can make it work for the purpose of making and oxp this is just a hobby i am trying to pick so my time here in korea doesnt last long..i did check out the python website but it wanted to basically give me an entire text book on the program.... :?
Cmdr James
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Cmdr James »

This is all quit confused. I dont really get why people are suggesting you learn python. There are some ready built python scripts (see post by kaks) which you can run to convert your files. I dont do modelling, so I cannot really advise, but its going to be something like

Code: Select all

python Mesh2Dat.py filename

I dont know what format files you want to convert to dat, but there are several scripts, which seem to suit most people.

You no more need to learn python than you need to learn objective-c to run oolite
Frontshooter
Poor
Poor

Post by Frontshooter »

i know where to get the scripts but the main problem im having is bringing everything together....i read in the the forums and many people just put a directory name and then it converts for them but everybody that as been doing it are using windows i run ubuntu with linux.......
Frontshooter
Poor
Poor

Post by Frontshooter »

ok so i finally have it figured out and i am currently writing the property list for my ship thank yall for all your help