Newships 'Josher' missile selection issue

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

Micha
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Micha »

Ok, I probably confused myself earlier because I haven't looked at my modified targeting code in a fair while.

The way my modifications work is as follows:

No extra equipment:
* Pressing Y cycles through the missiles if you're in missile-mode. The currently active target is locked onto the currently selected missile. Mines and other equipment types obviously don't get a target assigned.

Bonus functionality: If you fire a missile, the next active missile is automatically locked onto your current target, so you can fire your entire complement at the same target rapidly.

Multiple Target System installed:
* Pressing Y cycles through missiles. Missile is automatically is locked onto current target if it doesn't have one, otherwise current target is switched to the missiles' target. Missile can be re-targeted without affecting other missiles.

Target System Memory installed:
* Pressing Y cycles through missiles, functionality depends on whether or not the MTS is installed.
* Pressing +/- toggles through targets stored in the TSM and, if in Missile Targeting Mode, assigns the newly selected target to the currently active missile.

In the old system, there were odd switches between Missile Target Mode and Ident Mode. This is no longer the case, you're either in Ident Mode (R) or Missile Targeting Mode (T). Switching from Missile Mode to Ident Mode clears -all- missile targets (if the MTS is installed).
The glass is twice as big as it needs to be.
_ds_
Deadly
Deadly

Post by _ds_ »

I think that what I'd prefer is something like this:
  • Have both target and ident mode available at all times. This means HUD redesign :shock:
  • Pressing 'R' clears the current lock without affecting missiles.
  • Pressing 'T' selects the current lock as the current target (for the current missile, given MTS). A missile cannot be retargetted in this way without first clearing its target.
  • Pressing 'U' clears the current missile's target, or all targets if the missile has no target. (Without MTS, the target is shared, so all missiles would lose their target.)
  • Pressing 'Y' cycles through pylon equipment, as normal.
  • '+' and '-' cycle the current lock only.
Failing that, what Micha describes seems reasonable. It occurs to me that different colours could be used to represent different targets.

Nice to have (possibilities for extra equiment?):
  • For each targetted missile (or perhaps just the currently-selected one), a marker shown on its target.
  • For each in-flight missile, a marker shown on its target.
  • Markings on the scanner; or extra arrows (in red, rather than green), shown as for the existing ident lock.
Incidentally, there's actually quite a lot of equipment available. It may be useful to use a smaller font for its display, or to make the list scrollable or paged.
http://tartarus.org/~ds/oolite/patches, Buzzer OXP etc.
Micha
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Micha »

_ds_ wrote:
I think that what I'd prefer is something like this:

1) Have both target and ident mode available at all times. This means HUD redesign :shock:
2) Pressing 'R' clears the current lock without affecting missiles.
3) Pressing 'T' selects the current lock as the current target (for the current missile, given MTS). A missile cannot be retargetted in this way without first clearing its target.
4) Pressing 'U' clears the current missile's target, or all targets if the missile has no target. (Without MTS, the target is shared, so all missiles would lose their target.)
5) Pressing 'Y' cycles through pylon equipment, as normal.
6) '+' and '-' cycle the current lock only.

Failing that, what Micha describes seems reasonable. It occurs to me that different colours could be used to represent different targets.

Nice to have (possibilities for extra equiment?):
  • For each targetted missile (or perhaps just the currently-selected one), a marker shown on its target.
  • For each in-flight missile, a marker shown on its target.
  • Markings on the scanner; or extra arrows (in red, rather than green), shown as for the existing ident lock.
Incidentally, there's actually quite a lot of equipment available. It may be useful to use a smaller font for its display, or to make the list scrollable or paged.
1) Yes it would.. there'd be a lot of additional HUD markers which would need to be displayed (Primary Target + up to X active missile targets?). I think this might get a bit overwhelming.

2) So you're saying (R) should just switch to ID mode and resets primary target without affecting any missile targets (assuming MTS)? So even in ID mode you're potentially still being aggressive since you're maintaining active missile locks?

3) Trivial if we keep missile locks around after leaving Missile Targeting Mode.

4) Pressing (U) currently leaves Ident or Missile mode, are you saying U should just clear the current (missile) target but stay in current mode? So you're -always- either in ID mode or Missile mode, never in a completely neutral mode?

Good to get some feedback :)
The glass is twice as big as it needs to be.