A New Boat

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Hemlock
Dangerous
Dangerous

A New Boat

Post by Hemlock »

Yeah, I know...me again...more questions :roll:

I am in the position of getting a new boat...I have been looking at the Josher. Has anyone any experience with this ship. It looks a decent upgrade from Cobra considering the extra space...and it is not a whole lot slower.

I would appreciate any help.....would it be best to wait awhile and get some more kills etc. Or does it not really matter.....

Thanks

H
Commander Hemlock
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

Its very nice. Looks-wise it a bit of a love hate thing, but it's good size cargo bay and for a medium frieghter it can handle itself pretty well in combat. Overall the Cobra is a better fighter, but the Josher will still keep you safe from pirates and allow you to fly combat missions.
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
Hemlock
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Hemlock »

Thanks.....

And I was thinking after I posted this.....Hey is my Ooniverse anyway :!: What should it matter that I fly around in a boat as ugly as six day old fish. Only one who's gonna see is me......:P

But my only concern was being able to trade safely and being capable of fighting back a bit.....

Again Thanks
Commander Hemlock
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

I had a Josher some while back ... it was a good ship for trading runs, I did contracts with it and stuffed the rather many weapons bays with fuel tanks and simply evaded pirates for a while by stepping on the gas pedal.

A beauty she is not ... but if you want to have the credits for a more decent ship, I think the Josher could be a good stepping stone.

Just my 0.2Cr as you said, it's you who has to live with your ship choice.

Cheers

L
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

Nijik has had some recent experience with flying a Josher ... see this thread for details. Depending on what version of Oolite you are running you might need to fiddle with the weapons positioning, etc.
Hemlock
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Hemlock »

Well I took the cowards way out (or the smart way - depending upon ones point of view) - I bought the thing....and saved my game under another name.....that way if I hate it...I can go back......

Now I am away to make my Hyper jump to some anarchy system and see what happens..

H
Commander Hemlock
Captain Sumo
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Captain Sumo »

A piloted one of these for a while, and couldn't wait to shift it again.

The basic problem was that I couldn't fit shield boosters to it; OK it was reasonably fast, but that was useful because if you ever saw more that two ships locking on to you at once, the best course of action was to turn round and hit the injectors.

If you need the cargo space, my advice would be to get something like a Hamadryad or Python, and the accept some of the cargo haul jobs. They don't seem profitable at first, but after a while they get sweeter, and you'll find you won't need that cargo space anymore. Then get yourself something that can actually hold its own in combat!