Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

PC Joystick (Sorry)

News and discussion of the PC port of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

cmdr Uran
Poor
Poor

Post by cmdr Uran »

I've a problem using my joystick (logitech Extreme 3D pro) in version 1.72.2-test of Oolite. version 1.65 works fine. :lol:
The problem is with the Roll/Pitch precision toggle
Whatever key I'm assigning this function to, using it results in a yaw left
version 1.65 doesn't have the yaw function that's the reason that it's working fine.
However I want to install and play version 1.72.2 but then I miss the Roll/Pitch precision toggle, I cannot battle without.

Is there a workaround or will this be corrected in future releases of the game ?
CptnEcho
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CptnEcho »

cmdr Uran wrote:
I've a problem using my joystick (logitech Extreme 3D pro) in version 1.72.2-test of Oolite. version 1.65 works fine. :lol:
The problem is with the Roll/Pitch precision toggle
Whatever key I'm assigning this function to, using it results in a yaw left
version 1.65 doesn't have the yaw function that's the reason that it's working fine.
However I want to install and play version 1.72.2 but then I miss the Roll/Pitch precision toggle, I cannot battle without.

Is there a workaround or will this be corrected in future releases of the game ?
I experienced a similar problem. I disabled the yaw (left/right) axis of the joystick. I assigned keyboard keys to the yaw axis (left/right). Now the joystick roll axis and pitch axis function normally.

I'm guessing this phenomena is an Oolite problem because the joystick is compatible with other games/flight-simulations.
"I shouldn't have taken off in this crate without more ammo..." Sergeant Knox - Star Blazers
Cmd. Cheyd
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Deep Horizon Industries Manufacturing & Research Site somewhere in G8...

Post by Cmd. Cheyd »

I encounter it as well.
cmdr Uran
Poor
Poor

Post by cmdr Uran »

I experienced a similar problem. I disabled the yaw (left/right) axis of the joystick. I assigned keyboard keys to the yaw axis (left/right). Now the joystick roll axis and pitch axis function normally.
:oops:
I reinstalled Oolite and did not assign the Yaw-axis, I did Unset it with 'u'.
In the Logitech profiler programm I assigned left and right Key to the Yaw-axis like you said (in the Oolite-programm this can not be done, you can only assign an axis not a key, so i think your
'assigned keyboard keys'
refer to the Logitech profiler programm, right ?)

My Roll/Pitch axes do and did work fine
Twisting the handle does not yaw, so the key assignement works fine but:
Roll/Pitch Precision' , assigned to the main fire button, still results in a Yaw left and not in a Precize Roll/Pitch movement :cry:

Thx for helping this far
CptnEcho
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CptnEcho »

cmdr Uran wrote:
:oops:
I reinstalled Oolite and did not assign the Yaw-axis, I did Unset it with 'u'.
In the Logitech profiler programm I assigned left and right Key to the Yaw-axis like you said (in the Oolite-programm this can not be done, you can only assign an axis not a key, so i think your
'assigned keyboard keys'
refer to the Logitech profiler programm, right ?)

My Roll/Pitch axes do and did work fine
Twisting the handle does not yaw, so the key assignement works fine but:
Roll/Pitch Precision' , assigned to the main fire button, still results in a Yaw left and not in a Precize Roll/Pitch movement :cry:

Thx for helping this far
I did not use the Logitech software. I was able to un-assign the joystick axis in the Oolite menu. I think there's a menu for keyboard assignments and another for joystick assignments in Oolite. It's in the "Game Options" menu. I'm using Oolite version 1.71.2
"I shouldn't have taken off in this crate without more ammo..." Sergeant Knox - Star Blazers
cmdr Uran
Poor
Poor

Post by cmdr Uran »

I'm using Oolite version 1.71.2
Okay I see, there is the difference :)

However I can't see version 1.71.2 online anymore (probably to many bugs I guess) and 1.72.2-test does not have a seperate keyboard/joystick menu.

so i installed version 1.65 again, which works flawlesly and hope for better when a new release is launched.

Thanx for clearing up !
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

There has never been a keyboard menu. We've always had a josystick setup in Game Options. Keyboard assignments have always been made by editing the keyconfig.plist.

For people reporting joystick issues: If your joystick supports six axes and seems to not work correctly in Oolite, try to switch it to 4-axis mode, if available. We've had reports that this solves a lot of problems.
davidS
Harmless
Harmless

Post by davidS »

I am also getting the roll/pitch switch precision error in version 1.71.2. It yaws to the left, whenever I use the key to switch precision. This is with a logitech rumblepad 2 with windows XP.

The roll/pitch precision switch button works fine in version 1.65
aceshigh
Competent
Competent

Post by aceshigh »

am I the only one trying to run Oolite with a XBOX 360 gamepad? Ya know, these are great for lots of games, including racing games.

Too bad it also suffers from the noncentering problem at Oolite.

Hopes version 1.73 fixes it.
Qmass
Harmless
Harmless

Post by Qmass »

I am also using xbox controller, not brilliant but manageable, wish oolite would let me use all the buttons on it, the d pad and triggers are not assignable.
Xenoox
Poor
Poor

Post by Xenoox »

I have a Logitech game pad for my PC but didn't even think of using it for flying. I'm old-school and I want a joystick. I picked up a Saitek ST290 for $20 and it works great. But I didn't know Oolite supported yaw control. I'll have to look into that.

PS. If you have a centering problem, try moving it through its range of motion before starting the game.
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

Qmass wrote:
I am also using xbox controller, not brilliant but manageable, wish oolite would let me use all the buttons on it, the d pad and triggers are not assignable.
Hello Qmass, & a very belated welcome to the board.
Has anybody tried something like ControlMK (on windows) to reassign joystick keys to their keyboard before starting Oolite?
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
Solas
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Solas »

I had a look at ControlMK on Windows which claims POV support.
however I could not find POV switches listed within ControlMK.

JoyToKey supports remapping joystick to keyboard ( and multiple profiles ).
I currently use JoyToKey to enable POV support for Oolite.
JoyToKey is freeware and is available here ..
http://www.oneswitch.org.uk/2/I/JoyToKey/JoyToKey.htm

hope this helps :)
aceshigh
Competent
Competent

Post by aceshigh »

I started using a Trust Predator GM-5500 joystick to play Oolite...

it works FLAWLESSLY (its also a very good joystick)

yup... 12 buttons (including trigger) + POV Hat + Thruster Control.

Also, it has RUDDER functionality! (which is great to land on stations!)
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Logitech Rumblepad 2

Post by Gimi »

Got one of these and wondered if anyone has tried to make a profile for Oolite in Logitech profiler. I know I can edit the keyconfig.plist, but I want to leave that alone for now while I test it. I also want to have the option to use keyb and mouse when I don't have the rumblepad available. So, if anyone has made a profile for the rumblepad that works with Oolite, I am being bold and asking if I could have a copy (export).

Now, I know many of you would advocate a joystick, but a mostly play when I am travelling, and packing a joystick is just too much.
"A brilliant game of blasting and trading... Truly a mega-game... The game of a lifetime."
(Gold Medal Award, Zzap!64 May 1985).