Bloody Microshaft!

Off topic discussion zone.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Cody

DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Bloody Microshaft!

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Last week I had to go all the way into London at some God awful time of the morning to an utterly rubbish M$ ESP (the professional version of FSX) Developer's Conference.

The only up side of the hateful event was a "free" 2GB (M$ ESP branded) USB stick.

It lasted six days - today it got so hot it burnt my fingers when I tried pulling it out of the USB port when neither XP nor Red Hat running inside VMWare Player would detect it in the USB port.
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Cmdr Wyvern
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Cmdr Wyvern »

I know what epic fails Vista, Zune and the 360 is, including heat issues. I've heard of 360s exploding into flame and Vista making laptops literately too hot to handle...

It seems that lately, M$ can't get anything halfway right. :roll:

But how the hell can they blow it on making a USB stick?! :shock: :?

That's it, no more spending another dime on Microslop junk! (And probably avoiding it if it was given away/pirated.)
Running Oolite buttery smooth & rock stable w/ tons of eyecandy oxps on:
ASUS Prime X370-A
Ryzen 5 1500X
16GB DDR4 3200MHZ
128GB NVMe M.2 SSD (Boot drive)
1TB Hybrid HDD (For software and games)
EVGA GTX-1070 SC
1080P Samsung large screen monitor
Super Jamie
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Super Jamie »

Actually, I own a Zune 80, and it's a really decent media player. Big bright glass screen, great controls, lightweight, wifi, 25 hour battery life, and far superior sound quality to my iPod Video.

Just a pity the Microsoft-only software sucks so much, I got sick of using XP with USB proxy in VirtualBox to load music onto it, so I have it up for sale.

As for the rest - www.ubuntu.com - and don't look back :)
Zbond-Zbond
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zbond-Zbond »

M$ splithering sticks? I have been using Mac OS's forever and got their latest OS-X (Leopard) in which a previous application pack (called AppleWoks) was no longer provided but replaced with something else called iWorks
so what? I don't care what they call it..
About 20 years of resource material (music education) I had accumulated would not open. Every new version of Apple's drawing/spreadsheet/WP has until now been able to open any earlier created files. Their latest stunt, however, is to emulate the M$ model - iWorks does not have a "drawing" application and will not open any files created as a drawing - i.e. anything that is a diagram - using AppleWorks or before that ClarisWorks. It opens spreadsheets though, with any graphics that may be superimposed. BE WARNED anyone (using Mac OS) with existing graphics files - Leopard does not support them when you upgrade.
That means any projects with diagrams (e.g. science education) (music is a type of physics in this context, with many interesting diagrams) will be lost.
Probably a bit disconnected from original subj. but might be useful to some one, here or there..
Apple support very helpful in recovering lost files, however, but it has taken me 3 months - retro software posted from U.S. - shouldn't be necessary though________________________
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

AppleWorks was never part of the OS, it was merely bundled with some systems. It’s entirely possible to install and use it under Leopard.
Zbond-Zbond
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zbond-Zbond »

Ahruman wrote:
AppleWorks was never part of the OS, it was merely bundled with some systems. It’s entirely possible to install and use it under Leopard.
Yes I've heard that - and the contrary! - from ApplePremiumRe-sellers + their Education centre here. All very helpful; most helpful are they in U.S. HQ
but I live in Australia, work in England, and left my originl start-up disks on a railway station so having great fun down here :evil:

Haven't managed to put AppleWorks on Leopard yet, re-installed 10.3.9 and rewriting graphics for 10.5 (eventually) -- cut&paste to spreadsheet then save, iWorks will open that.

Thanx4 instant response and now back to Trance Techno Orff Schulwerk with space invader sounds layered, very restful.
Zbond-Zbond
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zbond-Zbond »

P.S. It is not possible to purchase AppleWorks from Apple any more.
There are sources in U.S. but does the benefit (=can work again) outweigh the cost (=fly to the States to locate one)?

Yes.

But real crook; yes: original disk stolen; tough -- c'est la vie

Insurance exists -- but replacement not possible. "AppleWorks is End Of Life. Sir."

The same situation would pertain were the superceded hardware sold (with its start-up disks/bundled applications). There would be no insurance then.

Think am not alone.
DaddyHoggy

Re: Bloody Microshaft!

Post by DaddyHoggy »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
Last week I had to go all the way into London at some God awful time of the morning to an utterly rubbish M$ ESP (the professional version of FSX) Developer's Conference.

The only up side of the hateful event was a "free" 2GB (M$ ESP branded) USB stick.

It lasted six days - today it got so hot it burnt my fingers when I tried pulling it out of the USB port when neither XP nor Red Hat running inside VMWare Player would detect it in the USB port.
Since M$ have now killed off FSX and ESP (2000 developers out on their ear) I don't think I'll now get a response to my email about their shoddy ESP branded fire-hazard USB stick! :roll: :wink:
Selezen wrote:
Cmd. Cheyd
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Deep Horizon Industries Manufacturing & Research Site somewhere in G8...

Post by Cmd. Cheyd »

Not to make excuses for MS explicitly, but really... Do you honest expect that much from freebies from any company where the product isn't one of the retail / standard offerings? I never do...

MS probably sourced the cheapest thing possible knowing they'd be giving out 500K of them. At $4/ea, that'd be a $2M give-away.... Now, if it was a give-away of their mice or a keyboard, I'd be less understanding.

Meh. Just my perspective. Take with a healthy dosage of Sodium Chloride. :P
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

I hear what you're saying, but really, why brand something with your name if it's going to spontenously combust six days after you were given it? Do you remember how good the company's conference/product was? No. Do you remember that they gave you some crappy bit of electronics that in less than a week made a fair attempt at burning your office down? Oh yes...
Selezen wrote:
harry747
Deadly
Deadly

Post by harry747 »

the only microslop product i use is the mouse. it's the second one, actually. when the first one went belly-up, i tried a couple of mice and trackballs, and then i went back to the intellimouse optical. i hate to say it, but it's the best mouse i ever had.
MacBook pro, OSX 10.8.5, Xcode 5
Cmdr James
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Cmdr James »

If you chose to put your logo on something, you are choosing to be judged by it.

This is why many companies have two or more brands, so they can sell cheaply without devaluing their brand.

That said, Microsoft is hardly the worst organisation in the world, and to be honest, I doubt that a dodgy USB stick is their worst product (insert vista jokes etc. here). :lol:
Cmd. Cheyd
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Deep Horizon Industries Manufacturing & Research Site somewhere in G8...

Post by Cmd. Cheyd »

If you want to make jokes on MS dodgy products... Start with MS Bob. :lol: