ECM and missiles

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

harry747
Deadly
Deadly

ECM and missiles

Post by harry747 »

the other day i was chasing another ship (same type) at top speed, shooting at him. at one point i launched a missile at him. he ECM-ed it. no surprise there. but then i launched an ECM hardened missile at him. he ECM-ed that as well, and i was like, "HUH?"

aren't those ECM hardened missiles supposed to be ECM proof? did he have some special equipment? does it depend on distance?

BTW, I destroyed that other ship, collected the cargo containers and captured the escape pod. nice profit :-)
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: ECM and missiles

Post by Screet »

harry747 wrote:
aren't those ECM hardened missiles supposed to be ECM proof? did he have some special equipment? does it depend on distance?
No, they are not ECM proof, but ECM resistant. That's similar to watches: If they are only water resistant, at some point sooner or later you will get water into your watch ;)

Those hardhead missiles have a chance of 10% to be destroyed by ECM, IIRC.

Screet
Alex
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Alex »

It's also possible to shoot your own missile. They are not military laser proof.
Rebecca
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Rebecca »

i was on the receiving end of a hardened missile... ecm'd it 4 times before i died... how come my ecm doesn't have any luck? :cry:
Becca the Hermit Slayer, and part-time unpredictable avatar assassin.
Captain Hesperus
Grand High Clock-Tower Poobah

Post by Captain Hesperus »

Rebecca wrote:
i was on the receiving end of a hardened missile... ecm'd it 4 times before i died... how come my ecm doesn't have any luck? :cry:
If at first you don't succeed, duck, weave, dive and keep your left middle finger on that 'E' key. Or think, "Sod this" and activate your Cloaking Device for half a second.

Captain Hesperus
The truth, revealed!!
Rebecca
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Rebecca »

Captain Hesperus wrote:
Rebecca wrote:
If at first you don't succeed, duck, weave, dive and keep your left middle finger on that 'E' key. Or think, "Sod this" and activate your Cloaking Device for half a second.

Captain Hesperus
i suppose asking where i get a cloaking device from is another obvious newbie question? :lol:
Becca the Hermit Slayer, and part-time unpredictable avatar assassin.
Captain Hesperus

Post by Captain Hesperus »

Rebecca wrote:
Captain Hesperus wrote:
Rebecca wrote:

Captain Hesperus
i suppose asking where i get a cloaking device from is another obvious newbie question? :lol:
Just pootle around G5 for a bit.....

Captain Hesperus
The truth, revealed!!