Noob help

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

wortsenawl
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Noob help

Post by wortsenawl »

Hi Guys

I am new to OOlite, having started to play yesterday. I discovered OOLite about a year ago, but never got round to installing and playing, before eventually forgetting about it. Anyways, I was looking for some way to slow down arc elite when I came across it once more and by jove, it is fantastic.

However, I do have a few slight problems / questions:

How on earth do you make a decent start to this games? I am offender status, without ever having opened fire on another ship (which didn't attack me first). I just arrived at a space station and suddenly my status had changed. Any ideas?

Do ships attack each other? I keep finding myself ambushed by 4 or 5 ships, bear in mind that I am just on my third hyperspace trip. I cannot seem to survive long enough with my paltry lasers to actually make any headway. (I never suffered this issue in original elite).

Should I just jump in with OXPs? I have done, but is it wise?

Where can I find the Milhud oxp? What does it do exactly? I read it would help with targetting and docking (though I seemed to have mastered the latter item).

Any tips for n00bs?

thanks
Worts out
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Noob help

Post by Screet »

Hello and welcome to the board!
wortsenawl wrote:
How on earth do you make a decent start to this games? I am offender status, without ever having opened fire on another ship (which didn't attack me first). I just arrived at a space station and suddenly my status had changed. Any ideas?
With some oxp's there can be clean pirates, boyracers and such which would attack you. If a police ship doesn't spot that one firing on you first, but sees you returning fire on that clean ship, you're there.

Another reason is ramming a system/police ship, but then you are usually instantly fugitive. Ramming attacking ships which are clean won't cause such a flag, thus it's an option to ram boyracers :twisted:

Most probably you got your flag for launching with prohibited items from a system station. Items like weapons or narcotics...about slaves I'm not sure, but I think they also lead to that "problem".
wortsenawl wrote:
Should I just jump in with OXPs? I have done, but is it wise?
I didn't do that...and later thought I should have done it from the beginning on, there are really great OXPs, both for visual things and as well for missions and more things going on in the ooniverse. Thus, after beginning without OXPs, I now would suggest to try those which sound interesting, they really enhance the game!

When you are up to some fighting, give Random Hits a try, there you find missions with different levels of difficulty.

Since you wrote flying a rather unequipped ship, it might be worth to leave the trading lane once you exit from witchspace. Then you should be pretty safe from pirates and also reach the planet much faster! It's as easy as turning away from the planet by 90 degrees and fly with "J" speed a few seconds, then turn towards the planet (or station, if you already can see it).

Screet
wortsenawl
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Post by wortsenawl »

Thanks for the tip... as for the 'offender' status. I have only two kills, both orange on my scanner, but it could have been caused by one of them. As for the cargo, only food and comps in my hold. I have literally just started.
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

Maybe you accidentally shot the station ... that could get you Offender status. If you behave though the "Offender" tag will wear off in time.

Good going to get two kills if you've just started! There's better profit margins to be had on Furs and Liquor/WInes than on Food, though (not counting the occasional exceptional deal to be found in a Convenience Store).

Good OXPs to start with: I'd include Your Ad here, since it adds in the Convenience Stores to systems with populations over 4 billion. Certainly at the start you want to increase your chances of making trades and making money. Commies and Dictatorships add in new trading opportunities, too.
Lysander
Competent
Competent

Post by Lysander »

Hi Wortsenawl

Yes I know how you feel, I was at your stage too about a month ago. Don't loose heart, it is great fun when you get going.

To start, see my post called 'Hitch Hiker's Guide for Beginners' on the forum. Ansewerig your questions:

You are going to be jumped and attacked as you state when you are weak, by offenders. Apart from advice offered by others you may have also made the mistake of firing on friendly (clean) ships whilst Navy (police) boats are on your radar. That will make you an offender straight away.

It is really essential to get a decent laser and ECM as soon as you can - the pulse laser is USELESS and missiles will rip you apart if you have't got these.

I would recommend that you re start from scratch, get into OXPs as soon as you can, they can be loaded from the Wiki and are great fun, but only load Thargoid's Lave training OXP first and get familiar. Start trading, staying out of space lanes (see 'Hitch-hiker' discussion) and get yourself enough credits to have a decently armed Cobra III and you will soon get the hang of it. I would not add the bigger OXPs immediately as suggested, simply to stop you getting frustrated by all sorts of added happenings quite yet. Wait a week or so until you are familiar wth the basics. But do get into them after that, they add hugely to the game and the developers involved today have turned out some terric stuff to make the game more fun.

Good luck, Lysander
The Spartans are coming! Witch (this) space
wortsenawl
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Post by wortsenawl »

Cool. I will bear the tips in mind... I am an Elite oldie, but this is way harder - except docking which is so easy now, you don't really need a docking comp.

Fer-de-Lances are buggers though. I have taken one or two out, the difficulty is avoiding them ramming you, they move soooo fast.

Will keep on at this. I don't think I'll give up, it is so much fun.

I have loaded Realistic fighters OXP (and all the associated ones) plus Amiga sounds... some additional ships... I smile so much seeing the liberator from Blake 7 fly past my hull... of course, it then fired upon me... I took it out, but couldn't avoid the three missiles. So far, one on one, I am fine with combat (missiles aside).

Anyways, it's great and a big thanks to all those who have made the game and OXPs.

Worts out
Rebecca
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Rebecca »

hello (me noob too)...!

i found the best way was to sell your original ship and buy something cheaper so you can kit up with decent weapons... i've currently got a mk1 cobra rather than a mk3...
Becca the Hermit Slayer, and part-time unpredictable avatar assassin.