Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

CLOAKING DEVICE

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Zbond-Zbond
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

CLOAKING DEVICE

Post by Zbond-Zbond »

Attractive Legian space hermit, GSOH, seeks CLOAKING DEVICE
Been zooming around the Ooniverse (recently focusing on G5) accumulating substantial solvency & myriads of
Thargoiddisintegration-o-zaps (also pirate scum) but NO DEVICE
>>>>>>>>>> H E L P >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> is all futile?
But perhaps I am scum myself in the eyes of a paternal Admiralty, erring relentlessly ??????????? in my quest
.........must dash, but any thoughts digested
FSOneblin
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: CLOAKING DEVICE

Post by FSOneblin »

Zbond-Zbond wrote:
Attractive Legian space hermit, GSOH, seeks CLOAKING DEVICE
Been zooming around the Ooniverse (recently focusing on G5) accumulating substantial solvency & myriads of
Thargoiddisintegration-o-zaps (also pirate scum) but NO DEVICE
>>>>>>>>>> H E L P >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> is all futile?
But perhaps I am scum myself in the eyes of a paternal Admiralty, erring relentlessly ??????????? in my quest
.........must dash, but any thoughts digested
You don't find the cloak, it finds YOU! And you will know it when it see's you.

FSOneblin
Don't panic

Now an "adult!"
ovvldc
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ovvldc »

And don't forget to scoop it when the current owner lets it go :).
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

You should find a clue for the cloaking device within the first dozen jumps in G5. When not, you probably missed the clue. You don't get a second chance. Something that is rare should stay rare.

Only solution is to get an old saved game and start in G5 again.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

@Zbond-Zbond: If you couldn't make sense out of what the guys wrote, please feel free to read the spoiler in the box:

WARNING! SPOILER! EVERYBODY STAY AWAY!
The Cloaking Device is not for sale. Never. It is only awarded as a result of a mission which takes place in Galaxy 5. You will get attacked by a cloaked ship. If you manage to kill the attacker, you may scoop the device from amidst the debris.

And that's the only way of getting hold of the device. If you screw up the fight, your opponent runs away without you following, or you shoot the 'unusual container' which contains the device, you will not get a second chance. Ever.
WARNING! SPOILER! EVERYBODY STAY AWAY!
Zbond-Zbond
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zbond-Zbond »

Advices happily received although confirming worst fears but early saves available - and now have device installed,,,

(But didn't know a mission was going on when unusual c. cont. appeared)

now re-equipping ship at slow pace due to depleted coffers (early save = before my 1st visit to g5 :cry: ) but better at manual docking now and running contraband :twisted: GalCopVIPERS flee in terror

:mrgreen:
kendrone
Above Average
Above Average

Post by kendrone »

yay. Thanks guys, helped me out there. I got the device too. This time without cascading everything by accident - see another thread.

How do you activate it if at all?

EDIT: got it. Number 0
Zbond-Zbond
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zbond-Zbond »

............after pressing "0" [zero] zero is exactly what you'll score for a kill while cloaked in invisibility.

Recently I accidentally quiriumed a behemoth (while cloaked); scored nothing; won't be doing that again. But has that particilar ship name now been lost forever? does anyone know
or will a new behemoth be named in its honour?

another accident: I flew flat out up a Python's thruster firing lasers+cloaked I thought I would die........but I didn't!
Ye olde MAGNETIC FUEL SCOOPS hypermagnetised and sucked in the entire contents of yon reptile's cargo bay!!!!!

Neither experience earmarked for repetition, but a great boon to the contraband service provider is this device :roll:
Captain Fullstrength
Average
Average

Cloaking Device

Post by Captain Fullstrength »

I just bought a cloaking device (and lots more loot) in Galaxy1. It wasn't cheap, but I thought I'd better have it. If I find it makes the game too easy I'll stop using it.
Its bad luck to be superstitious . . .
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

Oh, I thought only OSE changed that aspect of the game, but I'm obviously wrong.

Captain Fullstrength, I'm assuming you have the Realistic Shipyards OXP installed. That OXP - and its successor OSE - involves a lot of changes to the gameplay: with it the game needs a higher specs computer (lots more ships all over the place) and the cloak - which is meant to be a unique item -, and naval energy units - which are meant to be unavailable until completion of a mission for the navy - are made available in a few special system in all galaxies from the second that OXP is installed.

As a result, the whole gameplay logic is quite different using Oolite with RS/OSE as opposed to Oolite without it...
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
govert
Competent
Competent

Post by govert »

So, with the exception of OSE & RS, is there any way of transferring a cloaking device to a new ship, or reacquiring it for the new ship?
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

It should transfer on its own, although apparently it may take a little while. That said I have seen instances lately when it didn't.

As to re-acquiring one, without RS/OSE the simple answer is "no". You can't even repair one without resorting to my repair-bots (and they don't have that great a chance of doing it, deliberately so).
Captain Fullstrength
Average
Average

Cloaking Device

Post by Captain Fullstrength »

Hey Kaks

I share your concern about OXPs changing the game, but to my mind they have expanded it and improved it. I do occasionally go back to the basic game and play it without any extras, just for old time's sake (I used to play Elite on the BBC 'B' and later an Archimedes).

If it makes you feel any better, I only found this exotic gear by accident, under fairly unusual circumstances. It's not like this stuff is just lying around. I went back later to get some more and it just wasn't there.

You're right, I've got the Realistic Shipyards OXP (and a few alternative HUDs) and I'm running it on a good machine (new iMac, 4Gb RAM, 2.8Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo)
Its bad luck to be superstitious . . .
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Screet »

Kaks wrote:
naval energy units - which are meant to be unavailable until completion of a mission for the navy - are made available in a few special system in all galaxies from the second that OXP is installed.
The funny thing is, that I got the NEU by buying a Dredger Trader. Basically ANY ship that allows such eq can have it before that mission is done!

I thought it would be a massive improvement over a Boa Class Cruiser without NEU, but I was wrong, really really wrong. Should have sticked with the BCC!

Screet
Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

Screet wrote:
The funny thing is, that I got the NEU by buying a Dredger Trader. Basically ANY ship that allows such eq can have it before that mission is done!
The NUE is not only limited to a few ships, but any ship that is allowed to carry that equipment can also be offered with that equipment in the shipyard. I think it will be most native Oolite ships. However it is rare and normally the ship is so expensive that a player can't afford the ship. And by the time he can, he probably already has done the mission that unlocks the NEU.

Problem with RS is that it makes the NUE a RS only equipment by blocking the unlock mechanism for that equipment. Without RS the NUE comes for sale after completion of one of the missions. This means it becomes impossible to repair the NUE once it gets damaged and RS is installed. Unless you stumble over a RS thing that offers a new one to you.

For me it is a major problem with RS that it breaks several original Elite missions.