the chaff dispenser

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

harry747
Deadly
Deadly

the chaff dispenser

Post by harry747 »

today i installed the missiles and bombs OXP, and among other things i bought the chaff dispenser. then i went out, got into some fights and when i docked at my destination, the chaff dispenser had disappeared from my equipment list. I was like "HUH?" what happened to it? they fired a couple of missiles at me, but i took care of them with the ECM

how do i use the chaff dispenser anyway?
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: the chaff dispenser

Post by Screet »

harry747 wrote:
how do i use the chaff dispenser anyway?
First, you need free pylon space in order to mount the chaff. If you've got free space there, you should get one packet installed with the Chaff Dispenser.

When someone fires a hardhead at you, where ECM won't work, you have to select that pylon with the chaff and "fire" it as if it were a mine. Since there's 5 charges in each packet, the packet does not go away with the first release.

As I understand it, there's currently no way to have keys bound to an oxp, thus no nice "hit C for chaff" or something like that.

When you got the Cloaking Device, you probably won't need the Chaff Dispenser unless you are flying missions which disable the cloak (like Assassins), as missiles do explode or go for new targets as soon as you activate the cloak. Therefore, it's usually easier to switch the cloak on and instantly off again. That's why I asked for the possibility to bind the cloak to a joystick button ;)

Screet
harry747
Deadly
Deadly

Post by harry747 »

IOW, unless i use one of my missiles, buying the chaff dispenser would be pointless. if they were standard missiles, i'd just fire one at an asteroid or something, but i have a Q-missile and 3 thargoid-busters. too expensive to waste...